Khap Pom

ChAoS87

It's like saying 'yes sir!' in English

If an officer in the Army gave an order, it would be the reply he got.

It can also be used to say 'yes, absolutely' it's deferential as well so you wouldn't say it to a child for instance.

Other, more learned members, may well be able to expand further.

Biff

It can also be used to say 'yes, absolutely' it's deferential as well so you wouldn't say it to a child for instance.

Biff

I have also heard women saying this but with the same meaning of yes sir. I think they are probably saying it in jest since it seems definitively male but I could be wrong.

Biff

I have also heard women saying this but with the same meaning of yes sir. I think they are probably saying it in jest since it seems definitively male but I could be wrong.

Yes, my g/f says it too, I think it's in a kind of jokey way, she uses the male words quite a lot. Gets a few funny looks in restaurants but it's all taken lightheartedly.

The Thai seem to get a chuckle out of this when we're standing around and my wife, Thai, asks me to do something. I reply Khap Pom, and out come the grins.

Mac

Yep, me too, if I want a clip round the ear I'll add a salute as well :)

Biff

Artifical, hyper-polite Thai response, ostensibly male, created in the 1930s. I use it as a way to indicate to people that I can really speak Thai, haha...its use in many situations (in civilian life) is ironic.

• Like 1

I don't understand the dislike of redundant threads. Many times I come on the site to see new threads. I don't spend much time searching the archives for my daily browsing though I do use the search function before I post something new.

Right !

Especially when you know that more threads more money for the website owner...

In general considered polite, BUT expressing obedience as well!

:rolleyes:

Thai language has many similar terms like "krap phom"... it's from the "good old golden days" and it happens to be the 21st Century!

No need for a foreigner to use this phrase, unless on needs to.... :whistling:

There's been a lengthy thread on this before; try searching the forum and you'll learn everything you need to know about this expression.

Just as a test, I tried searching for what the OP was looking for, 'Khap Pom', and the only search results that came up were for this thread. Therein lies the problem; sometimes when we want an answer on here but it doesn't exactly match a previous thread (either through different spelling or a slight difference in meaning/intent), then the search facility will not help. That's why we have a new thread here.

I know there are some TV users who make an issue of people generating new threads. In some cases this is valid, where the OP has been too lazy or ignorant of the search facility. It is my view that sometimes it is good to start a new thread on a previously-discussed topic. Some things change; the law, opinions, culture, fresh views from new users, statistics etc.

'Veteran' users of TV can simply ignore a thread if they think it has been done to death. To comment negatively on an OP's posting, when they have not been lazy or ignorant, is unnecessary. The Forum Administrators will soon stop a thread that they think is worthless; that is the exercising of experience.

Proof of the pudding? I am a newcomer to Thailand and have heard this phrase used several times but was not sure of its meaning. Today I log on, find this thread under 'new content' and have become partially enlightened!! Thank you to the wonderful world of the sharing of knowledge.

biggrin.gif

Edited by mikearmstrong