New Stuff At Main Villa

Backwoods

Finally, went to main Villa today and bought 3 cases of Mountain Dew and they Had Dr Pepper and Cherry Coke as well!! Been getting things like pillsbury bisquit rolls, Cheetos cheese Puffs, Bakets Porks skins, and even got some Sara Lees deserts to bring home as well as Cool Whip!! My shelves are starting to look like an American supermarket! WhatI can't find I have gone crazy and had imported and paid the price, as heaper than gas looking all over Thailand to find my snacks! I even imported pepperoni from USA as well as BBQ sauce and Pace pecante!!

pardon my out of town ignorance, but which Villa is the main Villa? I went to the one on Soi 11 last time I was there, and then out to the one further out on Sukhumvit at soi 33. They seemed about the same to me.

Yes the cost of things here is higher than in the US, but this should be expected since it has to shipped here from the US and i think there is an import duty on foodstuff.

hey Backwoods, I have done the same thing, paid the price and had pepperoni sent to me from the USA bought 10 sticks last time, only thing is my girlfriend now likes the stuff and then we went away for a week, her sister and husband came to our house and they thought the pepperoni was an Esan sausage and they fried up two sticks, after cooked only realized it was not the Esan sausage, really sucks all that good pepperoni wasted. Hey next time you send for some, let me know and I will place an order with you and pay some of the shipping cost.

Miss a good pizza too....

pardon my out of town ignorance, but which Villa is the main Villa? I went to the one on Soi 11 last time I was there, and then out to the one further out on Sukhumvit at soi 33. They seemed about the same to me.

Main store is the one on soi 33

All of that must have cost a fortune. Last time I checked Mountain Dew, Doritos etc. were about 5x more expensive than back home.

Enjoy it :)

Yes, lot of money for them, 48 Baht for Mountain Dew and same for Dr Pepper, but Cherry coke is 52 per can!! I don't drink alcohol anymore so is cheaper than my beer in the long run! I still can't find a cold Budweiser in Bangkok!!!

we went away for a week, her sister and husband came to our house and they thought the pepperoni was an Esan sausage and they fried up two sticks, after cooked only realized it was not the Esan sausage, really sucks all that good pepperoni wasted.

If you'd have shot them it would have been justifiable homicide wasting that goodness. :D

I can't speak to the sugar water sodas, because I don't really drink them or look about them...

But for other things, the Villa Soi 11 runs hot and cold... Every now and again, they seem to get a big shipment, and are flush with all kinds of goodies... But then over time, those things disappear and they tend to have dry spells, before the rain from heaven falls again...

In general, though, I'd say the Soi 33 area one probably tends to be better and more broadly stocked...

Good to know for the next trip to bkk, thanks jf. I must've hit the villa on 11 at a flush time as they had cheetos (not crunchy tho) and lots of Dr Pepper. I had just come back from the States so didn't buy anything but did wander the store in amazement!

Cheetos washed down with Dr. Pepper??? Your Breakfast of Champions??? :lol:

My favorite there tends to run more toward their half gallons of fresh Tropicana orange juice.... nothing like the stale carton stuff put out by Tipco, Malee and others.....

Good to know for the next trip to bkk, thanks jf. I must've hit the villa on 11 at a flush time as they had cheetos (not crunchy tho) and lots of Dr Pepper. I had just come back from the States so didn't buy anything but did wander the store in amazement!

I saw the orange bags of the crunchy Cheetos tonight at the Top's Market at Sukhumvit Soi 19..... and indeed, labeled Made in the USA.

Almost bought a bag just since it's been a long, long time...

But, strangely, the bags were on a shelf in the chips section with the only price tags showing for bags of Doritos, so I couldn't find any pricing...

Decided on a couple of bottles of Leo instead... 26 baht a piece...

All of that must have cost a fortune. Last time I checked Mountain Dew, Doritos etc. were about 5x more expensive than back home.

Eating all that crap he won't be around long to enjoy it.

I buy Dr P at the 33 shop, but most of the time it seems a little flat? Is it just me or have others noticed this?

I have been living in Asia for over ten years, and I recall when I first moved over here many of the soda/pop seemed to be highly carbonated (especially in China) - so maybe I have become accustomed to a different level of carbonation, and the Dr P I'm getting from Villa is not really flat?

But then again the cherry coke seems to be OK - not flat?

Since I'm doing a bit of complaining, I might as well go all out. Now that it seems there is a chance Villa will carry Dr. P regularly would it be asking too much to get the good stuff - the cane sugar stuff (Dublin Dr. P), and not the corn syrup stuff?

I may not live forever, but I'm almost 60 and have learned to enjoy life! I have had many fitness nuts die around me while jogging in their 50's! Lots of things CAN kill you, but if I have to die, it will be with Cheese dust from my Cheeto's Puffs! I have survived a career full of Army food, worked as a big Game guide and never got eaten by the bears or wild boar, and lived on snacks in the evening for quite a while now!

I may not live forever, but I'm almost 60 and have learned to enjoy life! I have had many fitness nuts die around me while jogging in their 50's! Lots of things CAN kill you, but if I have to die, it will be with Cheese dust from my Cheeto's Puffs! I have survived a career full of Army food, worked as a big Game guide and never got eaten by the bears or wild boar, and lived on snacks in the evening for quite a while now!

i agree, if you are going to die, better to die happy and fat. All that good tasting food and snacks, someone needs to eat them so all the people working making them can keep there jobs, just my little bit to help the economy.

Villa has Fritos now, too.

The original is the one at Suk 33. Back in the 70s it was the only farang-oriented grocery store in the city.

There are now 18 branches in Bangkok.

Actually before Villa came along a lot of Expat type food was avalable at "Underground Store" - also on Sukhumvit but can't remember exactly where, it's still there however but only has the 1 branch, Villa has expanded aggressively in the last 10 years or so.

Patrick

Villa has Fritos now, too.

The original is the one at Suk 33. Back in the 70s it was the only farang-oriented grocery store in the city.

There are now 18 branches in Bangkok.

Actually before Villa came along a lot of Expat type food was avalable at "Underground Store" - also on Sukhumvit but can't remember exactly where, it's still there however but only has the 1 branch, Villa has expanded aggressively in the last 10 years or so.

Patrick

Really? I remember a used bookshop on Sukhumvit called Underground Store (between sois 13 and 15) but not a grocery store. What year did they open?

I can't speak to the sugar water sodas, because I don't really drink them or look about them...

But for other things, the Villa Soi 11 runs hot and cold... Every now and again, they seem to get a big shipment, and are flush with all kinds of goodies... But then over time, those things disappear and they tend to have dry spells, before the rain from heaven falls again...

In general, though, I'd say the Soi 33 area one probably tends to be better and more broadly stocked...

this is true, especially for claussen pickles.

As for this underground store, 10+ years on soi 11 and never heard or it, either the book or food store. details please.