My Tiger Retro 110C - With Extras

mbox

Hi there,

About 1,5 month ago I decided to get myself a Tiger Retro 110C and ordered in red/white color.

I already had some plans on what accessories I will have ,and later my wife also added some of her ideas.

I received the Retro 28 August and have done 1200km by now. It runs smooth and starts easy everytime. It is not a bike for high speeds and with my 99kg and the added decoration I do about 80kph max. There is a little variance in Fuel-useage of E20 & E10 which is a surprise as it uses less fuel on E20 (app 51-53km/ltr ) on E10 /91 ( app 49-50km/ltr) , this comparism was done still during the end of break-in so I will check again later.

The front brakes are, as already mentioned on other threads ,not the strong-points but use it in combination with rearbrakes and I find it sufficient –even in town driving .

Other than the 1000km service I had no reason to visit a service center. One thing I changed was the seats foam filling…I asked for the hardest foam and it feels a lot better for me…being on the heavy side.

Having the bike rather "loaded" with accessories, I get a massive amount of attention and wherever I park people either take pics or ask me about things of the bike itself. It is a little bike that puts a smile on faces…not only the riders face that's for sure.

I made quite a few pics of it - see below some of them (these pics are not modded, most of them taken with a nokia phonecamera):

DSCF1125.JPG

DSCF1154.JPG

DSCF1127.JPG

DSCF1155.JPG

DSCF1131.JPG

DSCF1166.JPG

DSCF1137.JPG

DSCF1139.JPG

DSCF1143.JPG

DSCF1147.JPG

DSCF1149.JPG

DSCF1161.JPG

DSCF1167.JPG

DSCF1159.JPG

enjoy and happy trails,

mbox

Hi

Look very nice wheels is so great looking, but please put some clips on the wiring for the lights, not cable ties, it spring into my eyes :)

i would like a real old one to restore but not easy to find with book.

Forgot to ask, does it come with the 80 or so spoke wheels?

Edited by HDRIDER

Hi

Look very nice wheels is so great looking, but please put some clips on the wiring for the lights, not cable ties, it spring into my eyes :)

i would like a real old one to restore but not easy to find with book.

Forgot to ask, does it come with the 80 or so spoke wheels?

You are right i should put some clips for the cables...

the 72 spoke wheels and whitewalls were the difficult part to find ....there are some around but had some questionable quality. I found good ones and will offer them at Tiger/Sachs Clubs online shop in the near future.

original wheels and original the red/white retro looks like this ( with a slight variation to the exhaust protector itself and now 17" wheels)

post-39208-075862600 1285733862_thumb.jp

happy trails,

mbox

i had the extra lamps installed at the local yamaha dealer....because the frontlamp set was made for the fino ...so he made up the parts to be actually able to mount but right the wiring clips are not good looking, i just ran around a few shops to see what they got but i really haven't found anything good now....maybe i shall try to find some good pics and show them? Any pics ? i looked but really got not the right product...maybe i am googling for the wrong item.

thanks,

mbox

Congratulations on the very nice looking Tiger Mbox hope you have many safe miles on it.

Hope you has a good insurance on it, as the Thais will be very interested in a bike like that.

I am off-shore working right now, so I still don't know how the brakes are on mine after they visited my house in Patts and did some modifications.

Congratulations on the very nice looking Tiger Mbox hope you have many safe miles on it.

Hope you has a good insurance on it, as the Thais will be very interested in a bike like that.

I am off-shore working right now, so I still don't know how the brakes are on mine after they visited my house in Patts and did some modifications.

Thanks Guzzi, I done 1300km to date and it works great! The Brakes are best to be used in combination ( front and rear together) but i find them adequate but forget about doing a stoppie on it :rolleyes: .Lot of fun and lot of attention for the bike too. The hard foam i added on the Seat did also help to make it easier running over a bit of distance. Longest i have done so far in one go - nonstop- was 120km . A full tank takes you about 150km on E20 .

mbox

Good looking bike MBox

About wiring,i did drill holes in the tube and lead the wires inside the tube. No outside wiring.

Regards

Dutch Rdam

Thanks Dutch Rdam,

I think i will rather get some clips(if i find some nice ones ) ... don't really want to drill the holes although it may give the best looking result.

mbox

You've done a sterling job there, every right to be very proud of it indeed!

Wishing you many happy miles. Are the brakes really thatbad? A great many moons since I was on one, tearing around the fields on my mate's farm as kids, they seemed sufficient at the time?! First goes the memory, then...!!

Wishing you many happy miles. Are the brakes really thatbad? A great many moons since I was on one, tearing around the fields on my mate's farm as kids, they seemed sufficient at the time?! First goes the memory, then...!!

Thanks Milo,

Let me put it this way...the Honda Cub Frontbrakes aren't any better than the one on a Tiger Retro....i think the rear brake feels better on the Tiger Retro though.

Its just that people compare the Tiger Retro with a Honda Wave....they are simply not the same (in look and feel). Comparing the Tiger Retro with the Honda Cub will be more to the point.

mbox

Thanks Milo,

Let me put it this way...the Honda Cub Frontbrakes aren't any better than the one on a Tiger Retro....i think the rear brake feels better on the Tiger Retro though.

Its just that people compare the Tiger Retro with a Honda Wave....they are simply not the same (in look and feel). Comparing the Tiger Retro with the Honda Cub will be more to the point.

mbox

Dunno, I have to adjust the shoes on her Wave every 10days or so, she brakes as if she's riding her CBR400! Thank God she doesn't use that one for the shopping/school-run :lol:

Stupid question, but zero chance of fitting a front disc I suppose? I'm a bit partial to brakes!!

The real thing is just sooooo much nicer.

Difficult to find Honda Cubs with books, but, it is possible.

My collection.

Nice Bikes karenbravo- and nice extras :clap2:,

You know it already...no books and ,with the exception of yours, the general poor condition you may find second hand cubs in ...and not to forget a price from a brandnew Tiger Retro of 29800 thb which even runs on gasohol E20 (second hand cubs in questionable condition are overcharged and you find them for almost the same price as the Retro). 3yrs/30000km warranty on top of that for the Tiger Retro.

If i add the same accessories as you did, it will be difficult to see the difference to the "original" . The extras that i added which isn't really the Cub-thing , most Cub riders have difficulties to believe that this is not a Honda Cub , but a Tiger Retro.:blink:

happy trails,

mbox

Thanks Milo,

mbox

Dunno, I have to adjust the shoes on her Wave every 10days or so, she brakes as if she's riding her CBR400! Thank God she doesn't use that one for the shopping/school-run :lol:

Stupid question, but zero chance of fitting a front disc I suppose? I'm a bit partial to brakes!!

If you partial to brakes(specially frontbrakes) , don't buy it ! Simple as that.

Have a read on the bottom of page here: http://www.tigersach.../tproducts.html it is in english and thai....

No other brake options are offered from Tiger Motors....if you do modify it yourself you may loose warranty .

If the rider is already in the know how to handle a Honda Cub than it will be fine for the Tiger Retro too.

mbox

Edited by mbox

You know it already...no books and ,with the exception of yours, the general poor condition you may find second hand cubs in ...and not to forget a price from a brandnew Tiger Retro of 29800 thb which even runs on gasohol E20 (second hand cubs in questionable condition are overcharged and you find them for almost the same price as the Retro). 3yrs/30000km warranty on top of that for the Tiger Retro.

If i add the same accessories as you did, it will be difficult to see the difference to the "original" . The extras that i added which isn't really the Cub-thing , most Cub riders have difficulties to believe that this is not a Honda Cub , but a Tiger Retro.:blink:

happy trails,

mbox

I had to strip all the bikes down, bought new spares, re-sprayed, chromed and put back together.

Total cost for each bike (including purchase of the original bike) is around 45,000 Bt.

Must admit, the price you quote for a new Tiger is excellent value. Looking at your pictures, the Tiger looks almost identical to the Cub with a few minor differences.

It is now very hard to find a Cub with legit book and when you do they are asking 25,000 Bt for the basic bike.

I blame this on the Yamaha Fino which brought "retro" into fashion. All the young Thai kids have now snapped up most of the Cubs where I live (Phuket).

Lots of fun to ride and most Thais can relate to them in a way they can't with Harleys etc. Have had many conversations with Thais about the bike when I'm stuck at a red light.

happy trails,

mbox

I had to strip all the bikes down, bought new spares, re-sprayed, chromed and put back together.

Total cost for each bike (including purchase of the original bike) is around 45,000 Bt.

Must admit, the price you quote for a new Tiger is excellent value. Looking at your pictures, the Tiger looks almost identical to the Cub with a few minor differences.

It is now very hard to find a Cub with legit book and when you do they are asking 25,000 Bt for the basic bike.

I blame this on the Yamaha Fino which brought "retro" into fashion. All the young Thai kids have now snapped up most of the Cubs where I live (Phuket).

Lots of fun to ride and most Thais can relate to them in a way they can't with Harleys etc. Have had many conversations with Thais about the bike when I'm stuck at a red light.

Very much agree to that...with all the bikes that i had here (from 50cc-1200cc) this Retro raises the most attention and interest amongst Thai's. And sure the blame must go to Yamaha for bringing the Fino, making the retro-style even more popular. Some of the Fino's aftermarket parts can be mount on the Tiger Retro...my Lamps are aftermarket for the Yamaha Fino and made to fit from our local "Yamaha Square".While the Bike was "modified" i had a good group of people looking at my Tiger Retro, out of curiosity , and they all seem to like it.

Maybe worth mentioning, here is one shop that stocks some parts from the Honda Cubs and other older Bikes- Owner speaks very good english, replies to emails swiftly, http://88part.com/

mbox