Jump to content

Music License


Recommended Posts


I want to make music license to my bar so I avoid any problem with police.

Were can I do this? Im located koh chang/Trad but i guess this is done in Bangkok?

For western music,Thai and anything I can play?downloaded from internet? original cd(ofcourse)

or what other regulations do I need to deal with?



Link to post
Share on other sites

Under the Copyrights Act B.E. 2537, Section 31 states that:

Whoever knows or should have known that a work made by infringing the copyright of another person and commits any of the following acts against the work for profit shall be deemed to infringe the copyright:

1) Selling, occupying for sale, offering for sale, letting, offering for lease, selling by hire purchase or offering for hire purchase;

2) Communication to public;

3) Distribution in the manner which may cause damage to the owner of copyright;

4) Self-importation or importation by order into the Kingdom.

Therefore your bar will be required to have a license to play any copywriter music (which should be almost all commercially available Thai and western music available in stores or on the internet).

GMM Grammy (http://www.gmmgrammy.com/en/contact-us-grammy.htm)

The Sales Person is called Mr. Peng, contact number is 08 9969 5489. He is has jurisdiction over the Trad Province (in cluding Koh Chang) area for GMM Grammy.

Alternative contact (Bangkok based) 0 2669 8095 (Khun Ying)

The Bangkok Call Center is 0 2669 9000

The annual license fees are based on the number of seat within the business

· From 1 to 150 seats, it is 9,000 Baht per year

· From 151 to 250 seats, it is 10,500 Baht per year

1 Stop (http://www.1stopmusic.com/en/contact.html)

The Sales Person is called Mr. Theerayuth, contact number is 0 2641 5211 up to 3 or 08 7222 2207.

This company provide approximately 95% of international song from all over the world (e.g. Sony, BMG, Warner Music, EMI, Universal Music, etc.)

The Thai songs covers the Music Company like Sony Thai, Bakery Love Eat.

The annual license fees are based on the number of seat within the business

· Their fees are based on how you played your music, that is if you are playing from CDs, their fees are 200 Baht per seat per year

· But if you are playing through your computer (through the computer hard disk, handy drive, external hard drive, etc.), apart from the rate above (200 Baht per seat per year), you would also incurring duplicate and repetition fees of 200 Baht per seat per year. Therefore total fees from playing through your computer will be 400 Baht per seat per year.

Some discounts are available.

Please note that there are things that you should be cautious about when buying a music license. Knowing the extent of the rights that you are acquiring is important as some licenses may limit you to play CDs (original discs, non-pirated), while some would allow you to duplicate CDs/songs and making playlists, and finally some would allow you to have bands play live music (if the bands plays cover versions of licensed songs, etc.).

Do you have any questions about getting a Visa for travel/business/retiring/investing in Thailand? Please “ask the visa expert” from Sunbelt Asia here: Thaivisa.com - Ask the Visa Expert from Sunbelt Asia

This information has been provided by Sunbelt Asia Co., Ltd. Sunbelt Asia has been the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002.

You can contact Sunbelt Asia at (66)2-642-0213 or email us here. Please visit our website for more information on doing business, working, investing, travelling, owning real estate, or starting your own business in Thailand at www.sunbeltasiagroup.com. We are located at 1 Ratchadaphisek Rd., Floor 26, Bangkok, Thailand 10400 and can easily be reached by public transportation.

*This does not constitute legal advice or serve as a substitute for direct legal consultation with a licensed attorney. The information is provided for educational purposes only and it may not account for the specific facts and laws that may be applicable to each individual’s situation. Also, there may be changes in the law that may affect your specific case so the answers provided here should not be considered to be applicable your personal situation.

Legal information is not the same as legal advice, which is the application of law by a licensed attorney to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend that you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice specific to the facts surrounding your case. This information does not take the place of discussions with a licensed lawyer and it does not create an attorney-client relationship between readers of the information and Sunbelt Asia, Co. Ltd. or any of its employees


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...