Fastest Internet In Cmai

jayinoz

I presume for mobile wireless that AIS Super 3G is the fastest. What have people found the fastest download speeds- is it value for money. Setup costs are a bit much, yet affordable monthly.I have the standard 2G AIS- it plays low grade video in CMai or BKK yet too slow anywhere else in Thailand. It can get to speeds of 200Kb which can play OKish video. Really you need over 500Kb on average.I hear not many services wireless or otherwise have continuous 1Mb download speed for fast downloads. Plus playing HD quality videos on the internet- what have others found.CheersJay

My true internet is 8mb and is 1230 baht for one month and the speed is always near that amount today i got 9.7 for some strange reason before all the kids finished school .

I have tried 3 other isp's with many headaches but not going to name them it's been 4 months on true and have had only 2 days offline which is good compared to other isp's.

The guy that installed it also said i was near the exchange box so that might be why it's been reliable .

try to call TRUE - to change your Package . if i am not wrong now True is offering ..

10MB - + 1 Mb upload for price you paying .. i was on 14mb . and 0.5 upload .. just 1 month ago .. and the upgrade in upload kinda downgraded me ..

but cos i due with online bussiness the extra upload bandwidth sure come in handy .

so i vote for True .

try to check their 16mb line or 50mb line or is it 30mb ..

good luck

--------------------

I have AIS wireless at 640 baht a month incl. vat etc. I don't know what packages are available now but I had to pay up front for a wireless Router which gives a strong signal throughout my guest house. The reliability is very good and the speeds ideal for what I need ;

972356781.png

There are caveats however,

a) I get those speeds only up until I use up my 5GB limit, after that it drops to 120KBps download ( different packages give you different limits, I find it fine for my internet use but then again I don't use Torrent to download films or other GB munching activities)

B ) I'm in a soi just off the Tha Phae Road so I'm very near the AIS transmitter (and their offices for that matter if anything goes wrong)

c) Speedtest is just an indication, I don't take it as gospel.

AIS Super 3G seems the go for mobile wireless... Phil- 3.3Mb down is amazing on mobile. Thanks for posting the speednet results. As you really do not know the true speed until you test it yourself- they can say anything in the world.

True 14Mb sounds like the GO with a landline connection- 14Mb down WOW... that a download of a full HD movies in a couple of minutes.:) Yet I would guess the average will be approx 5-6 Mb when tested. 14Mb is their dream rate when nobody on their network and they test directly from their Hub.

What is the TRUE Gb download limit- if it only 5Gb, you will rip through that in a few days- I doubt they have unlimited. I guess 10-20Gb then slows to 120K so you do not use up all their bandwidth. Especially if you a Internet cafe, Hotel, School, etc using the 1 connection for a 100+ people.

Maybe one day they will fibre Optic us all up to be like Korea and Japan with 100\1000Mb down- that sort of speed has really changed their whole societies and way of communicating.

Thanks Guys

:jap:

Edited by jayinoz

AIS Super 3G seems the go for mobile wireless... Phil- 3.3Mb down is amazing on mobile. That for posting the speednet results. As you really do not know the true speed until you test it yourself- they can say anything in the world.

True 14Mb sounds like the GO with a landline connection- 14Mb down WOW... that a download of a full HD movies in a couple of minutes.:) Yet I would guess the average will be approx 5-6 Mb when tested. 14Mb is their dream rate when nobody on their network and they test directly from their Hub.

What is the TRUE Gb download limit- if it only 5Gb, you will rip through that in a few days- I doubt they have unlimited. I guess 10-20Gb then slows to 120K so you do not use up all their bandwidth. Especially if you a Internet cafe, Hotel, School, etc using the 1 connection for a 100+ people.

Maybe one day they will fibre Optic us all up to be like Korea and Japan with 100\1000Mb down- that sort of speed has really changed their whole societies and way of communicating.

Thanks Guys

:jap:

CAT CDMA will be a better and a lot cheaper than AIS super 3g, the super 3g seems to keep stalling.

Yes some on the street say the Super 3G AIS is very tempremental...

I will look into CAT CDMA also- yet the Mb down rate will be a lot lower I guess. 3.4Mb down is tempting on Mobile if possible. As really you could survive without a landline on those figures. But not if it keeps dropping out.

I find standard 2G AIS OKish in CMai city + very cheap 200Bt for 50 hours, yet outside town not very workable. Like the countryside I talking from now- it drops down to the old Modem 56K... meaning I can bearly do anything out from the city. It takes a lot longer- in town it like a dream to be near 400Kb levels. Near standard video quality on a 2G link. For example You Tube video's do not pause...

I heard Super 3G AIS you can do nothing as it simply drops out 10km's out of town- then bad luck until you back in town.

I think where you are located is important for both Landline and Mobile. Landline wise when you closer to a TRUE exchange for example you will get great speeds, others a long way from an exchange will get a lot slower. So everyone will have differing throughput dependant on how far you are away from the Landline HUB or Mobile tower (For wireless mobile).

Also I do not get this AUCTION for 3G around Thailand- they already have it?????

What is this proposed 4G in the papers- never heard of it and I thought it was not invented yet?????

My true internet is 8mb and is 1230 baht for one month and the speed is always near that amount today i got 9.7 for some strange reason before all the kids finished school .

I have tried 3 other isp's with many headaches but not going to name them it's been 4 months on true and have had only 2 days offline which is good compared to other isp's.

The guy that installed it also said i was near the exchange box so that might be why it's been reliable .

Right now I am with 3BB and for 1167 baht a month get downloads of around 2.5 to 3 MB. If the service is reliable and I could double that or more for about the same monthly fee I do it in a minute.

I'm going to give there 1686 number a call but before I do that, does anyone know if the service is available near the Big C on Hang Dong Road area? Also, do they have installation, router fees, etc that you also have to pay to get the service?

Thanks

972739940.png

Test just before i post

Check this one out .. it was i think was last years when i just got my True Net installed .

i got a 12MB/ 12 Upload

seriously funny and i took a screen shot of it and save it on one of the forum .

09100808402057679dc0fdf05f.jpg

Edited by Ta22

Still the true service is very fast- even though it seems to have decreased by 10% in a year... Last years upload speed looks like a JOKE at 12K... must have been an error. Uploading anything would have taken all day.

The number one thing I am asking is how far away is your nearest exchange... from my place. As the further the distance the more issues with any carrier.

Most people seem to pick the TRUE 14Mb\1Mb service as the broadband winner... it very fast. Also if you pick up a good Wifi modem you could have dozens of computers using your connection if wanted.

I have often piggy backed off a unsecured internet in the Condos, as many can range up to 100 mtr. In BKK there seems to be unsecured networks everywhere I walk.

Just got a CAT CDMA dongle today (ChaingMai, Doi Saket)

973675688.png

Looks like AIS is faster!

5,900bht for the dongle and 3 months access, then 800bht/month

Was previously on a TOT 1meg landline (0.93Mb/s d/l when it worked), but only 2 days connection in the last 3 weeks .... so dumped.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I will look into CAT CDMA also- yet the Mb down rate will be a lot lower I guess. 3.4Mb down is tempting on Mobile if possible. As really you could survive without a landline on those figures. But not if it keeps dropping out.

I find standard 2G AIS OKish in CMai city + very cheap 200Bt for 50 hours, yet outside town not very workable. Like the countryside I talking from now- it drops down to the old Modem 56K... meaning I can bearly do anything out from the city. It takes a lot longer- in town it like a dream to be near 400Kb levels. Near standard video quality on a 2G link. For example You Tube video's do not pause...

I heard Super 3G AIS you can do nothing as it simply drops out 10km's out of town- then bad luck until you back in town.

I think where you are located is important for both Landline and Mobile. Landline wise when you closer to a TRUE exchange for example you will get great speeds, others a long way from an exchange will get a lot slower. So everyone will have differing throughput dependant on how far you are away from the Landline HUB or Mobile tower (For wireless mobile).

Also I do not get this AUCTION for 3G around Thailand- they already have it?????

What is this proposed 4G in the papers- never heard of it and I thought it was not invented yet?????

I have had very little problems with AIS dropping out over the 5 odd months I've had it but as I said before it depends on where you are in relation to the Relay Mast. There used to be a coverage map on the AIS super 3G site. I've just taken a photo of the mast looking east from my garden to give you some idea of distance. I would estimate the mast being at the most 1km away.

post-104682-034219900 1285909488_thumb.j

The Chiang Mai 3G offering is supposed to be a trial afik - how, or if it is affected by recent events I have no idea.

I have had very little problems with AIS dropping out over the 5 odd months I've had it but as I said before it depends on where you are in relation to the Relay Mast. There used to be a coverage map on the AIS super 3G site. I've just taken a photo of the mast looking east from my garden to give you some idea of distance. I would estimate the mast being at the most 1km away.

post-104682-034219900 1285909488_thumb.j

The Chiang Mai 3G offering is supposed to be a trial afik - how, or if it is affected by recent events I have no idea.

I'm 20 kilometers out of town and AIS 3G has worked out for me to be the best of the worst. The only ISP I have not tried is CAT and they could be a strong option. For the time being I'll stay with AIS. Since the government has put the 3G action on hold and as given TOT/TTT the realy screw things up on 3G we will just have to wait. Yes there is 4G but not in Thailand. 3G only in a few areas of Thailand.

It does get up there now and then.:lol:

973700263.png

AIS upload not so good- for uploading vids, etc- you think they could up this to 240K. As opposed to 120K.

Still for Mobile access you are getting some very good speeds DOWN.

I doubt any other Mobile internet provider will beat AIS 3G- yet the coverage limited when you over 10km from the city I believe. Inner city in CMai, BKK, etc- no probs.

Then you will need to switch over to the 2G dongle which 200bt for every 50hrs for the countryside to gain access.

Those DOWN speeds will be a dream.

As travel a far bit I think I will go for the TRUE connection at HOME, then AIS 3G dongle. I already have the 2G dongle for emergency access out in the countryside.

All up that should be approx. 2K bt pm, worth it if you depend on a fast connection for work especially.

Otherwise simply email and browsing the cheapest option is the AIS 2G option of 100 hrs at 300bt. Yet speeds rarely above 300Kb... so quality videos will be OUT.

It does get up there now and then.:lol:

973700263.png

AIS upload not so good- for uploading vids, etc- you think they could up this to 240K. As opposed to 120K.

Still for Mobile access you are getting some very good speeds DOWN.

I doubt any other Mobile internet provider will beat AIS 3G- yet the coverage limited when you over 10km from the city I believe. Inner city in CMai, BKK, etc- no probs.

Then you will need to switch over to the 2G dongle which 200bt for every 50hrs for the countryside to gain access.

Those DOWN speeds will be a dream.

As travel a far bit I think I will go for the TRUE connection at HOME, then AIS 3G dongle. I already have the 2G dongle for emergency access out in the countryside.

All up that should be approx. 2K bt pm, worth it if you depend on a fast connection for work especially.

Otherwise simply email and browsing the cheapest option is the AIS 2G option of 100 hrs at 300bt. Yet speeds rarely above 300Kb... so quality videos will be OUT.

A year ago AIS3G even 20 kilometers out hear in Doi Saket down load was between 400 and 500mbs. they have to many customers which has driven the quality down.

How can you get through to True? Called their number several times today at 1686 and kept getting an automated service which eventually just told me to enter my phone number. When I did it that ran a busy signal to where ever it was trying to connect. So I haven't even been able to find out if they have service in my area.

Don't enter your number and press the one that says you don't have an account already and you want to sign up then you should get through to an operator if you get thorough to the wrong one just say sorry my mistake and then they transfer you directly to the one you want hence jumping the Que. wink.gif

Was previously on a TOT 1meg landline (0.93Mb/s d/l when it worked), but only 2 days connection in the last 3 weeks .... so dumped.

What ,"dumped"? Just like that? Music to my ears but I thought TOT customers were tied in to a year long contract. I'd love to dump them but at what cost? Please elucidate.

It would be nice to test providers out in the various areas we are all at.... As ultimately it maybe the area that means the most. Although for broadband landline it looks as if TRUE cannot be beat in CMai.

As for wireless mobile options it all looks to be up in the AIR. Especially with the mucking around of the 3G auction and bs in Thailand, when most other nations of the world have 3G everywhere- Thailand seem to be very disorganized and behind the times often. I did not like CAT Down speed in comparision to AIS unless at least half the price. Yet it is not. No real mention of the 3BB network- not many users.

AIS getting OK comments for wireless in general...

TRUE getting excellent comments and speed for broadband landline in general.

Both the above still look like the way to go unless you on a tight budget then you will need to look at AIS or DTAC 2G.

Cheers

Jay