Tourism Authority Of Thailand Downgrades Tourism Growth Forecast To Less Than 8 Percent

webfact

TAT downgrades tourism growth forecast to less than 8 per cent

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has downgraded its tourism growth forecast to less than 8 per cent during a five-year plan in light of the domestic political situation and global factors.

"Although the number of visitors and domestic movements are hoped to increase next year and afterwards, the growth rate of both segments will be lower than the initial projection of 8 per cent," TAT governor Suraphon Svetsreni said Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-29

Thailand has some positive aspect that attract tourists however, I think you might see an improvement in tourism if Thailand reviewed and revised some of the anti-tourist programs.

The cigarette police that specifically targets Caucasian tourists.

Charging a 300% premium at the Lumpini stadium.

Charging premium pricing at some temples and facilities for Caucasian tourists. Tourists from Asian countries pay Thai pricing if they don't speak.

To mention only a few.

I think what might have happened is my mum and dad are visiting and my dad had to pop to the toilet at Suvarnabhumi so the TOT counted him once when he entered the bog and again as he left because he'd taken his jacket off and they didn't recognize him.

I officially forecast Thailand will NEVER recover as long as reds have their way.

Thailand must decide... Tourists orTerrorists?

Malls or Mobs?

Best City or Bomb City 2010?

I don't see this as the main reason,

most of the people I know that visited last year but skipping to other Asian countries this year are doing it because Thailand is just to expensive at the moment the Baht is just to strong...

Where do they get these figures from? I suspect someone pulled this from their a*s - LOL

The som-tam lady tells me, all economic & statistical forecasts are sub-contracted, to a fortune-teller in Burma. Which enables the government-of-the-day to blame a foreigner, when the forecast turns out to be wrong, in line with standing national-policy on such matters. :rolleyes:

I officially forecast Thailand will NEVER recover as long as reds have their way.

Thailand must decide... Tourists orTerrorists?

Malls or Mobs?

Best City or Bomb City 2010?

I don't see this as the main reason,

most of the people I know that visited last year but skipping to other Asian countries this year are doing it because Thailand is just to expensive at the moment the Baht is just to strong...

I would have to agree along the same line. The baht has gotten too strong and tourist are opting to choose other destinations like Vietnam where the Dong has depreciated.

The 8% forecast growth is likely coming from China only as this trend of Chinese growth is seen throughout Asia. Other nationalities are either flat or below previous year.

Where do they get these figures from? I suspect someone pulled this from their a*s - LOL

That pre-supposes they actually know where their a*s is.

I am rolling around laughing remembering this post and then a day later the newspapers are reporting 20/30% rise.I think the next budget should give the TOT a few more baht so they can buy some new calculators or take a few math classes.laugh.gif