Cycling Group

PeeMy

I am investigating the possibility of forming a cycling group to go for a ride perhaps twice a week, and get the exercise we so much need.

As I see it, the group would ride at a steady speed, but not breakneck, and would stop perhaps twice to top up on water, and let any stragglers catch up. A ride would be around 20-25 km. We would meet outside Carrefour, which is central, at say, 4 p.m. when the heat of the day has passed.

The group would suit both sexes, and any age, really, except the very young and very old. Bikes ought to be in good working order, but not necessarily specialized.

Please give me some feedback, and perhaps have a word with friends who might be interested but not necessarily native English-speakers and who rarely look at the

Pattaya forum.

Over to you!

No thanks...sounds like too much excretion for me and would definitely cut into my internet surfing and eating time.

Taking dives into Beetle sized potholes and being side-swiped by motos and cars doesn't sound like much fun either.

No thanks...sounds like too much excretion for me and would definitely cut into my internet surfing and eating time.

Taking dives into Beetle sized potholes and being side-swiped by motos and cars doesn't sound like much fun either.

Serious answers only please.

are you mad i rode past c4 along 3 rd road to day at about 6 ish pm it was scary as hel_l and i was on a motorbike -----------------you cannot be serious about 4 pm its nearly the same ----------------------any biking and you need the suicidal to do it on a pedal thing will have to be at 4am on a quiet road till 6 am if you are lucky--------------------jesus !!

A get fit Cycling For Softies group is a great idea. I would love to join.

But as has been pointed out above, Pattaya is not geared up for cyclists. Non cyclists often regard cycling as suicidal and inviting accidents.

I have ridden nearly four thousand kilometres on Pattayas roads and sois and never had an accident. But I ride very defensively and am always ready to stop and dismount quickly. I try to never get in anyone's way and concentrate all the time. This survival skill was developed riding in UK cities where traffic rules are much better respected.

So Lindley, my question to you, as the potential organiser is. Do you have quiet routes in mind where a group of people can ride together in relative safety?

But as has been pointed out above, Pattaya is not geared up for cyclists. Non cyclists often regard cycling as suicidal and inviting accidents.

I have ridden nearly four thousand kilometres on Pattayas roads and sois and never had an accident. But I ride very defensively and am always ready to stop and dismount quickly. I try to never get in anyone's way and concentrate all the time. This survival skill was developed riding in UK cities where traffic rules are much better respected.

So Lindley, my question to you, as the potential organiser is. Do you have quiet routes in mind where a group of people can ride together in relative safety?

You would be much better off down near Na Jomtien and inland from there plenty of nice quiet roads around Huai Yai and over to Pheonix golf and Wat Yannasang lots of roads to explore although some do turn into dirt tracks which if your on a MTB is no problem. Early morning at weekends is best but then again i work during the week

You would be much better off down near Na Jomtien and inland from there plenty of nice quiet roads around Huai Yai and over to Pheonix golf and Wat Yannasang lots of roads to explore although some do turn into dirt tracks which if your on a MTB is no problem. Early morning at weekends is best but then again i work during the week

Yeah would be keen on a weekend morning as well. Preferably something which was a mix between quiet roads and trails and well away from Carrefour!!

An in town then outer town pick up for the ones who would rather go nowhere near traffic might be an idea, Or maybe meet out on the bypass road then head East / South from there??

Good idea though, hope you get something going.

I am interested, but starting out at Carrefour might not be the best option due to all the traffic in the area. We would spend a lot of time dodging traffic before we can do any real cycling. I suggest you find a better place to start. Does it even exist any reasonable cycling routes near Pattaya? Somebody suggested inland around Na Jomtien, but I think that area is more suitable for jogging as the stretch of road is rather short. Maybe there are some suitable places east of Sukhumvit? Anybody?

WB

Might I ask where Pattaya cyclers get their bikes fixed? The shop where I was going sent me on my way four times without the problem being fixed, probably thais being thais with lack of knowledge/skills = rude in western eyes. They fixed flat tires fine though... I'm now planning on heading over to ProBike Bangkok for repairs but it's alot of trouble.

I am interested in joining :-)... If enough people are interested you should set up a first meeting just to brainstorm ideas, input, feeback etc.

I have an old cheap bike :-) and I ride my bike twice a week. I DON'T like riding my bike in the Central Pattaya area - so starting from Car4 is not a good idea.

Hi there,

Not really into your cycling round the city as almost got run over by a tuk tuk while trying to pull a jump off a sleping policeman and went tits up.

On a serious note though I have done a fair abit of cycling in S.E asia now and I would suggest that if your keen on getting out there then don't bother with Bangkok.

It's badly polluted on somedays and for me it makes my eyes sting for a few days and you have to keep your wits about you with the traffic.

You need to be a bit mad and cycle like a motorcycle. If your ambering about then that's best done on those Dutch bikes, which there's a company in Chinatown I think they run a laid back cycling tour and they go through all the little soi's and keep off the main roads.

Thai's are much less like road rage type in the uk but still hectic.

I would personally suggest stick it on a train - very cheap, and if you haves weekends free then head off to ayathaya or cha-am and start there.

You can cycle to ayuthaya, done it quite a few times now but 1st 20 kms still ver busy. Best leave early doors.

Will finally get my website up in due course and you can check my forum signature link if you'd like to see some trips i've done, some short some long.

Hope that helps.

You can PERFECTLY cycling in my 'backyard', no need to to to Bangkok / Ayudhaya or any other place.

Did it last Friday and Sunday - 15 km / 35 km - with a few other people and we had a great time.

Within a few seconds you are in the middle of no where - see attached kml-file

>> If your ambering about then that's best done on those Dutch bikes, which there's a company in Chinatown I think they run a laid back cycling tour and they go through all the little soi's and keep off the main roads.

This is www.covankessel.com

Only two completely positive replies from the whole of Pattaya Forum. Sadly then, project abandoned.

Come on Lindley, you haven't exactly embraced the SOUND OPINIONS of longer term residents that a group of cyclists departing from Carrefour at 4pm is NOT going to be a fun outing. Traffic is manic so if you really want to get some interest, you need to keep YOUR options open. Maybe Carrefour is a couple of minutes from where you stay but it could be 30 minutes by car from either end of the Naklua/pattaya/Jomtien residences; maybe 45 minutes on a bicycle.

Great idea for a social club though, just need to think about it a bit more IMHO.

You can PERFECTLY cycling in my 'backyard', no need to to to Bangkok / Ayudhaya or any other place.

Did it last Friday and Sunday - 15 km / 35 km - with a few other people and we had a great time.

Within a few seconds you are in the middle of no where - see attached kml-file

>> If your ambering about then that's best done on those Dutch bikes, which there's a company in Chinatown I think they run a laid back cycling tour and they go through all the little soi's and keep off the main roads.

This is www.covankessel.com

Cloggie

if your going out again this sunday let me know what time and where from 35 - 40 k sounds good cannot do weekdays due to work

Chris