Yamaha Motorbike Repair

wynzlo

The front suspension on my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance seems to be busted as it's bottoming out all the sudden. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think rebuilding shocks is a bigger job than most soi mechanics can handle. Don't mean to diminish their work - the guys down the street do a fantastic job on oil changes and tire repairs.

Searching past topics I found a recommended Honda service shop, but not much for Yamaha. The closer to Huay Kaew the better. Any recommendations?

Yes, there is a Yamaha Service Center inside the old city.

From Thapae Gate, go west (towards Doi Suthep) on Rachadamnoen Rd (Sunday Night Walking Street). Turn right on Phra Pok Klao Rd (3 Kings Monument Rd). You will see the Yamaha Sales Center on the left-hand side of the road and the service center on the right hand side of the road.

They have a nice air-conditioned waiting room which has a couple computers with Internet, TV, free cookies, coffee, etc.

-Mestizo

Yes, there is a Yamaha Service Center inside the old city.

From Thapae Gate, go west (towards Doi Suthep) on Rachadamnoen Rd (Sunday Night Walking Street). Turn right on Phra Pok Klao Rd (3 Kings Monument Rd). You will see the Yamaha Sales Center on the left-hand side of the road and the service center on the right hand side of the road.

They have a nice air-conditioned waiting room which has a couple computers with Internet, TV, free cookies, coffee, etc.

-Mestizo

H Mestizo,

Are you saying that you take your motosai in with a fairly serious problem and they fix it while you wait? If so, I'm impressed.

(I ask because my Nouvo is overdue for a service, so you can guess where this is heading)

Cheers,

KT

H Mestizo,

Are you saying that you take your motosai in with a fairly serious problem and they fix it while you wait? If so, I'm impressed.

(I ask because my Nouvo is overdue for a service, so you can guess where this is heading)

Cheers,

KT

Well, I have only had one serious problem the the carb. My coworkers trucked my motorbike to the dealership for me and picked it up a few hours later.

But I go there for other routine stuff all the time. Oil changes, brakes, replace broken/ stolen parts (mirrors, brake levers, rubber feet mats, etc).. I do stay and wait during all those cases.. For a serious problem, its probably going to take more than an hour. I guess you could sit there and wait, but probably better off hoping in a red truck/ tuk-tuk and killing time at a nearby restaurant or bar :)

-Mestizo

I would go buy the part yourself from sang chai motors (honda shop over by the river ping going towards the super highway.) then get a back street mechanic to change the part for you i once took a yamaha there and it was well over priced I know you fill safer because it's yamaha right but they are no better then the back street places trust me.

yamaha parts do seem to be more expensive then honda parts but they do all parts at sang chai no one speaks english there but there is a guy with glasses that sits behind the desk on the computer he's the boss he's english is excellent .

Corning Mestizo's suggestion:

I go there too. One time (soon after I bought my clapped out Nouvo MX), I suggested they check the belt and clutch/drive mechanism, as the bike showed 23K. It was an ugly sight in there. I've had a number of other things done: battery, rear tire, broken spoke, cracked plastic. I take a book to read myself, drink their coffee, eat a biscuit in an armchair, watch the work done through the window where yes, there is air conditioning. Longest wait yet is 2 hours. They've tried to save me money by keeping a good looking light gray colored spark plug (I refused, and it starts instantly now).

There's a sign indicating which mechanics are at which stage of expertise (pictures), so you know the top in knowledge, but I observe friendly supervision and consultations. Office gals are good with English and the parts department has had a women who's fluent - if that's needed. I won't go anywhere else for my Yammie. Prices are not fabulous, but a small fraction of identical work I've had done in the U.S.

Edited by CMX

I would go buy the part yourself from sang chai motors (honda shop over by the river ping going towards the super highway.) then get a back street mechanic to change the part for you i once took a yamaha there and it was well over priced I know you fill safer because it's yamaha right but they are no better then the back street places trust me.

yamaha parts do seem to be more expensive then honda parts but they do all parts at sang chai no one speaks english there but there is a guy with glasses that sits behind the desk on the computer he's the boss he's english is excellent .

I've found that all the parts I have needed to purchase were relativity cheap. i don't remember exact prices, but it was something like 150 baht for new pair of mirrors (installed), 30 baht for new head light (installed), 99 baht for new brake lever (installed).

At those prices, spending the gas and my time to drive all the way out to some place where nobody speaks any English is simply not worth the couple baht I may or may not save.

Yes, I do feel safer using the Yamaha shop. They are much more reputable than some back street place, they speak English, they have a comfortable waiting room, reasonable prices, and if something isn't fixed to my satisfaction I believe I can go back and have it corrected without any issues (not so sure about that at some back street place).

Additionally, I have another story that I think is worth sharing. At one point earlier this year, I took my motorbike in to have the battery replaced, oil changed, etc. When I went back in some few months later, the girl from the back office came running out when she saw me. She asked me to come back in the office, pulled out some paperwork to verify my credit card signature, and the explained how they had over charged me about 200 baht the last time I was in there, they were so very sorry about their mistake, and they had been waiting for me to come back in again so they could give me the money back. They pulled out an envelope they had been saving in the desk drawer for months with my money inside.

That kind of honesty is hard to come-by in most businesses anywhere. So, they definitely have earned both my business and my trust.

-Mestizo

I had trouble with my Nuovo and took it to the shop down the road, on 121 highway about 100m from the Tesco mini coming back towards the Mae Joe rd, its a small shop selling performance parts, he has a lot of nice tricked up bits, shocks etc, they fixed my auto which had busted for 400 baht! rides better than ever now, the little collars that release the drive when idling were broken.

To follow up...

I went to the Yamaha Service Center mentioned in #2. It is indeed a great facility and everyone there is very pleasant. I did my best to explain and illustrate my suspension problem in Thai since the man helping me didn't speak much English. The conclusion was that I needed oil in my shocks. He said 2 hours and it ended up taking 1.5 hours. The grand total was 220 baht including an oil change.

But...the problem remains. My suspension feels horrible and still bottoms out. It's unfortunate they didn't recognize this, but it's also my fault I can't speak well enough to describe the issue. Going back this week to try again...

Great, I'm going to try these guys tomorrow.

Regarding Yamaha Square, I've been in the one near KSK and didn't notice a service center. Could have been blinded by all the shiny bikes in the showroom though.

the service centre is at the back and they speak english and they are cheap can wait for most repairs or spend 1 hour in ksk

Great, I'm going to try these guys tomorrow.

Regarding Yamaha Square, I've been in the one near KSK and didn't notice a service center. Could have been blinded by all the shiny bikes in the showroom though.

the service centre is at the back and they speak english and they are cheap can wait for most repairs or spend 1 hour in ksk

These guys just got me sorted out. The problem: tire pressure

I noticed the crappy suspension after letting someone borrow the bike for a few weeks and just assumed it blew out during that time. Well, they had taken it to my usual soi mechanic when it started running poorly (which I believe was bad petrol) and he put a whopping 70psi in my tires as a courtesy. It turns out the difference between 70psi and 33-36psi is astonishing. The front still seems to bottom out on bigger bumps, but overall it's much, much smoother.

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back:

Yamaha service centre next to KSK. Visited twice because the problem wasn't fixed the first time. One staff member speaks good English. Charged 750B each for two new rear shocks, not in stock, 3 days wait, plus quoted 8,000B for new mags and tyres, also not in stock.

Yamaha service centre on Ratchadamnoern Rd. No mags in stock and not willing to quote or make an order. This is not a one-off: on previous visits while I was looking to buy a bike they were just as helpful.

Yamaha service centre on Phra Pok Klao Rd. A girl from sales across the road spoke very good English and helped me through the transaction, which involved a whole bunch of questions. Quoted 6,000B for new mags and tyres. They looked at a service issue (which arose after the Yamaha-KSK service, but is not necessarily related) while I wrote down my name and phone number for them, then said "transmission adjustment, no charge". I asked about rear shocks: apparently always in stock and just under 600B each, fitted.

It should be clear to you, dear readers, which service centre I would recommend...

Edited by kawtot