American Attacked By Sukhumvit Bartender

george

Foreigner hurt

BANGKOK: -- An American man was attacked by a board-wielding assailant on Thursday morning, leaving him in serious condition in hospital with a fractured skull and internal bleeding.

Ken Jacob, a teacher who goes by the name Baba, was attacked near a sidewalk bar on the corner of Soi Asoke and Sukhumvit Road at 2am.

A bartender at a bar which has no name accused him of knocking over two whiskey bottles behind the bar and demanded more than Bt1,000 from him, according to Nick Cussell, who was with Jacob at the time.

Jacob denied breaking anything and refused to pay and left with Cussell.

“Then a man came out of nowhere and smashed him in the head,” said Cussell.

A witness who works at a nearby noodle shop said the man had attacked Jacob with a board, said Paritha Sricharoen, Jacob’s wife.

Lieutenant Pumin Ngarmlai, of Tong Lor Police Station, said he would question the owner of the bar today.

Cussell denied that Jacob had knocked over the bottles.

“I think she [the bartender] was just trying to get money out of two farangs,” he said.

Jacob was in the intensive-care unit at Bumrungrad Hospital yesterday, and doctors said it was too early to make a prognosis.

--The Nation 2005-07-23

Funny, I drive past that sopt on the way to work each morning. Often see some guys drinking still until 6:30 in the morning.

Its just like someone has set up a few tables and serves drinks.

I thought no alcohol to be served on Thursday and Friday?

Unless 1st April (yet again)

You seem to have forgotten TIT and I don't mean the ones on the TG, TW, BG, and and and, ohhh forgot what all that means. :o

I thought no alcohol to be served on Thursday and Friday?

Unless 1st April (yet again)

Thursday morning at 2am.

BTW, in BKK some place were closed on Thursday, many on Friday but certainlky not all.

Those that did open Friday and served alcohol, had a good business.

Seen more damage done for less. If the guy was hit with a 2x4 it wasn't just a shake down. More to it.  :D  :o Must have been some serious words too. :D

Not to justify what happened but I sort of agree with the above. There are plenty of drunk farangs who think they are invincible and can get away with saying anything.

Ok, Ok. I had to read this posting several times because I feel like I just watched a movie and only seen the credits roll by, a 2 second movie. There is a lot of detail left out here.

"A bartender at a bar which has no name"

I am not even sure of where the report came from. It does not look as if an actual reporter write it. God knows how nosy reporters are and I am sure they would have gotten a name or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Then a man came out of nowhere and smashed him in the head,”

“I think she [the bartender] was just trying to get money out of two farangs,”

Was it 2 people or did the bartender have a sex change in 2 seconds flat? or could it have been a Gatoey?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"accused him of knocking over two whiskey bottles behind the bar"

I am not sure how the bar is set up, but how did he knock the bottles over? Did they break, spill out the contents, and what was the man doing behind bar?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nick Cussell, who was with Jacob at the time."

Ok, this guy had a friend, and his friends wife with him, right? How did he receive the amount of damage that he received with his friend being there. I know that a pretty good hit to the head will do some damage but where was the internal bleeding, in the head? This was done with one hit?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Ok, never mind. I am making my self crazy thingking about this and trying to understand the details of it because there are no details to it. Here is what I see.

Some guy was accused by a female bartender of knocking over 2 bottles of whiskey who then refused to pay at the demand of the bartender 1000 baht or more. As the man and his friend walked away the bartender changed to be a man and attacked the man who knocked over the bottles with a board. The stike was so powerful it was able to cause the man to have internal injuries. This was done with one strike.

Does anyone else see the flaw in this story? It sounds like everyone was intoxicated including the police and the news reporter who wrote the story.

It is a shame that in these days that when a small accident happends, that it ends in violence. I am sure that it was not done quietly, meaning I know that some "words" were exchanged between the bartender and the victim.

Edited by Khaow8989

“I think she [the bartender] was just trying to get money out of two farangs,” he said.

Seems they cant get the story straight, was it the female bartender or an unknown man who attacked......

More to this than meets the eye.....anyone who goes by a name like Baba (Bubba?).....is probably attitude ridden....

This is a sad one. Regardless of what the guy did, I doubt he deserved to be hit by a board and hospitalized with serious injuries. On a street like that, it wouldn't take much to get the police to settle the whole deal. It wouldn't take much to follow the two men, make a call on the cell phone and have the police take care of it.

Again, some people seem to think the victim deserved what he got. I'm sorry but two whiskey bottles are not worth a long hospital stay.

This is the 2nd foreigner I know whose been severely battered. The other, by the way, was not in a bar, but just walking along a soi and was mugged.

Thais seem a tolerant lot; but not all. It doesn't take much to make some angry.

I had some [undesirable person] pull a razor on me in the Bobay (ph) tower a week ago. Of course after I turned my back.

Scenario

I walk into a shop. I ask to buy a half dozen dresses as a sample. The female employee is dumb as a sack of shit but I'm still very polite to her. After, she *exasperated*, (OMG, "I actually have to do some work")...finishes the oh-so-hard job of finding the package that I want starts speaking in Thai to me "buk" this and "buk" that.

To which I reply, "erm, pardon me" Her: "nothing." :D Me: "Bullshit. Some farang can actually understand a wee bit of Thai. Don't be so ignorant". Her: I was talking to my friend. :D Me: Cut the shit. Don't ever talk to me like that again.

Then the owner pipes up: " She was talking to her friend". Me: I don't care what she says. Is that how you want your employees talking around your customers? You want to sell this or not? Him: No. Get out! Me: "It's your shop. Bye!"

Then he tried to attack me as I was leaving his shop. I laughed. His [female employees] had to hold the oh so powerful man back. It was very dramatic of him.

Me: If you want to do something, go outside. I don't give a shit. Bye.

Outside (15 feet outside)

He follows me and stands in front of me. Then he keeps standind. As I am. Then he does jack shit.

Then he walks back in the shop and I start to walk away.

Then he comes out with a blade in his hand.

I turn around and see it, with him about 5-6 feet away.

Me: " Oh. I understand. There a problem and so now you think you're going to come outside with this. *pointing at his blade*

Then he walks back inside after doing jackshit once again.

How many businessmen think it's a good idea to let your staff abuse your customers. Then you try to publicly defend them by saying, "they were trash-talking their friend; not you". Then it's kick the customer out and...I don't want your money time.

Then it's "I'll attack you in my store". No, maybe outside. No, maybe after I find a weapon. Then it's...oh, maybe not-even with a weapon. :o

:D

In any case, if the guy destroyed merchandise and refused to pay; he had it coming. Not that he deserved it, ...but someone is not destroying my shit, and then probably stepping on my nose on the way out.

The same would probably have happened anywhere.

If he didn't in any way have it coming, ...is anyone still really surprised that it did? This is Thailand. :D

IA

PS. Heng, you didn't pull a razor on a white guy last week did you? :D

Excessive profanities removed by Scouse.

Edited by the scouser

Lolz. Do the dirty work myself? Yeah right.

My employees would know better as well. It's your business if you want to wear dresses... ehm I mean, "get them as samples."

:o

Edited by Heng

Heng wrote:

Lolz. Do the dirty work myself? Yeah right.
I've always taken you as the type to at least use the razor if you see fit to pull it. None of that showy stuff. :D

And I don't know where the 'machismo' :D is in pulling a weapon on an unarmed man..(while being clearly in the wrong)-and then walking away :D

I'd feel like more of a schmuck. :D

My employees would know better as well. It's your business if you want to wear dresses... ehm I mean, "get them as samples."

Grr. but they were very pretty dresses. :o

And what is this talk about not ever making 'Thais' angry or turning your back on them?

If they (Thais) are human at all it is impossible to not 'make angry' some of them. They are people. Best not to wantonly or intentionally do so...yes.

Best not to turn your back on them too quickly if you have is agreed upon though.

They, as a group, can snap quicker than many westerners; and don't think it's as slimy to attack someone from behind/with a weapon/ in a pack, etc,etc.

IA

PS. It's their country. You won't 'win'. Don't bother trying.

I hope he pulls through ok.

Serious condition often means some likelihood of death within 24 hours although actual meanings can vary by hospital. Hitting someone over the head with a 2x4 is attempted murder. The coward that did that needs to spend some time in jail and even more time doing community service like cleaning up after people in a hospital so he can understand the gravity of what he did over 1,000 baht. It was a criminal act and most Thais would not do something like that.

I hope he pulls through ok.

Serious condition often means some likelihood of death within 24 hours although actual meanings can vary by hospital.  Hitting someone over the head with a 2x4 is attempted murder.  The coward that did that needs to spend some time in jail and even more time doing community service like cleaning up after people in a hospital so he can understand the gravity of what he did over 1,000 baht.  It was a criminal act and most Thais would not do something like that.

I remember when a nice friend of mine said, her pissed girlfriend throw

knives at him once, when he stayed in her resident :o

I think she could throw some softer kitchenware items like dishes,...

But again maybe dishes had more value to her than my poor friend :D

Foreigner hurt

BANGKOK: -- An American man was attacked by a board-wielding assailant on Thursday morning, leaving him in serious condition in hospital with a fractured skull and internal bleeding.

Ken Jacob, a teacher who goes by the name Baba, was attacked near a sidewalk bar on the corner of Soi Asoke and Sukhumvit Road at 2am.

A bartender at a bar which has no name accused him of knocking over two whiskey bottles behind the bar and demanded more than Bt1,000 from him, according to Nick Cussell, who was with Jacob at the time.

Jacob denied breaking anything and refused to pay and left with Cussell.

A witness who works at a nearby noodle shop said the man had attacked Jacob with a board, said Paritha Sricharoen, Jacob’s wife.

Lieutenant Pumin Ngarmlai, of Tong Lor Police Station, said he would question the owner of the bar today.

Cussell denied that Jacob had knocked over the bottles.

Jacob was in the intensive-care unit at Bumrungrad Hospital yesterday, and doctors said it was too early to make a prognosis.

--The Nation 2005-07-23

Let's see...if a foreigner hits a Thai with a 2 x 4 the police are going to wait for a day until they can assign a detective.... :D

And since it likely that Bumrungrad has NOT yet been paid (and was just close at hand), they cannot make a prognosis... :o

And of course the bartender let a drunk get behind the bar to be able to knock over the 2 whiskey bottles in the 1st place

Edited by kidtongue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Then a man came out of nowhere and smashed him in the head,”

“I think she [the bartender] was just trying to get money out of two farangs,”

Was it 2 people or did the bartender have a sex change in 2 seconds flat? or could it have been a Gatoey?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like it was two people.

The female bartender who tried to get money out of the guys.

Then a guy (probably prompted by the bartender) who 'came out of nowhere'. If he came from the bar or was seen coming from someplace else I'm sure it would've been mentioned.

I would like to know what really happened.