New Airport Could Be Delayed A Year

george

Airport could be delayed a year

Suriya: Sticking to September deadline

BANGKOK: -- Construction work which is behind schedule could delay the opening of Suvarnabhumi airport for a year to September next year at the latest, a source at New Bangkok International Airport Co (NBIA) said yesterday.

Despite promises by Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit to finish construction of all facilities by Sept 29 this year, the source, who is directly involved in the project, was pessimistic that could be achieved.

Construction was likely to last until December, but then another three months would be needed to test system integration and another six more months for virtual operations, the source said.

The construction of an elevated road in front of the airport's terminal has failed to meet its deadline and the builder, S & V Joint Venture of Shimizu Corp and Vichitbhan Construction Co, have been fined 22 million baht.

Other construction jobs which are complicated are also delayed and contractors are putting on extra workers to accelerate their work, according to the source. Unlikely to meet deadlines are a remote aircraft parking area and a cargo parking area that Kampangphet Viwat Construction Co must complete next month. Construction work is only 60% complete.

Initially the government announced Sept 29 this year as the date for the airport in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district to open. Later it said that date was set for all construction projects to finish.

Srisook Chandrangsu, chairman of Airports of Thailand, the agency supervising NBIA, has already admitted a delay was likely with expectations the airport would open in March next year.

The cost of construction materials had gone up, the same source said. The cost of asphalt, for example, had risen from 5,700 baht a tonne to 10,200 baht per tonne. But Mr Suriya still expected construction to be finished by Sept 29 this year as planned.

One of the tasks to be accelerated was the installation of 26 CTX 9000 bomb scanners, the minister said.

The airport builder, ITO Joint Venture, would have to work together with GE InVision, the supplier, to complete the task by Sept 29, he said.

The direct sale agreement on the detectors was signed on Thursday. Mr Suriya said the ceremony could not be arranged in advance due to a problem with ITO. NBIA reached an agreement with ITO on Wednesday, he said. ITO would be fined 2.5 million baht a day if the consortium could not completely install the scanners by Sept 29. Agreement on that condition was only reached on Wednesday, so there was no time to tell the press about the signing ceremony.

Thawatchai Suthiprapha, the ITO project manager, said the consortium, comprising Italian-Thai Development, Takenaka and Obayashi, would talk to NBIA on Tuesday on the working plan for the scanners and would try to meet deadline.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-23

I well remember a quote about a year ago from Khun Thaksin in the Bangkok Post, giving his word that the opening date would be met. Another target date missed just like the targets for ridding the land of corruption and drugs. How can he expect to be taken seriously when he makes such sweeping and clearly unattainable statements?

Shall we say Spring 2007?

Now there's a surprise eh ?  :D

What worries me, is that these are the people who are running an entire country . . . . . . . I would like them to (in small teams of say 4 people) try and "run" a 7/11 store, for a month AND make a profit, of course ! ! I firmly believe they couldn't do it - therefor it really worries me, that people like these are running an entire country ! ! ! :o

Now there's a surprise eh ?   :D

What worries me, is that these are the people who are running an entire country . . . . . . . I would like them to (in small teams of say 4 people) try and "run" a 7/11 store, for a month AND make a profit, of course ! ! I firmly believe they couldn't do it - therefor it really worries me, that people like these are running an entire country ! ! ! :o

That is the way government in Thailand operates and believe me we will not see any change in our life time.

I well remember a quote about a year ago from Khun Thaksin in the Bangkok Post, giving his word that the opening date would be met. Another target date missed just like the targets for ridding the land of corruption and drugs. How can he expect to be taken seriously when he makes such sweeping and clearly unattainable statements?

Shall we say Spring 2007?

Spring 2007...sure. About the same time as the promise to take care of the traffic jams (for those old enough to remember) is kept. :o

Of course I am probably mistaken and the new airport IS the solution to the traffic problem because people can commute across town by getting discount (certain) ariline tickets by shelling out 1,000,000 Baht for special Privledges Membership which will give them tea while inflight. :D

It was said last year, I think I remember, that the runways and the east side of the old airport will still be used by the military, and that some big departments of the government, that are at present split up in several buildings away from each other, will move into the buildings on the west side.

That makes a lot of sense; especially if the skytrain is extended, on the piers that already exist, to Don Muang.

The construction of an elevated road in front of the airport's terminal has failed to meet its deadline and the builder, S & V Joint Venture of Shimizu Corp and Vichitbhan Construction Co, have been fined 22 million baht.

Well how lovely... :o

Airport could be delayed a year

Suriya: Sticking to September deadline 

BANGKOK: -- Construction work which is behind schedule could delay the opening of Suvarnabhumi airport for a year to September next year at the latest, a source at New Bangkok International Airport Co (NBIA) said yesterday.

Despite promises by Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit to finish construction of all facilities by Sept 29 this year, the source, who is directly involved in the project, was pessimistic that could be achieved.

Construction was likely to last until December, but then another three months would be needed to test system integration and another six more months for virtual operations, the source said.

Other construction jobs which are complicated are also delayed and contractors are putting on extra workers to accelerate their work, according to the source. Unlikely to meet deadlines are a remote aircraft parking area and a cargo parking area that Kampangphet Viwat Construction Co must complete next month. Construction work is only 60% complete.

Initially the government announced Sept 29 this year as the date for the airport in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district to open. Later it said that date was set for all construction projects to finish.

Srisook Chandrangsu, chairman of Airports of Thailand, the agency supervising NBIA, has already admitted a delay was likely with expectations the airport would open in March next year.

The cost of construction materials had gone up, the same source said. The cost of asphalt, for example, had risen from 5,700 baht a tonne to 10,200 baht per tonne. But Mr Suriya still expected construction to be finished by Sept 29 this year as planned.

One of the tasks to be accelerated was the installation of 26 CTX 9000 bomb scanners, the minister said.

The airport builder, ITO Joint Venture, would have to work together with GE InVision, the supplier, to complete the task by Sept 29, he said.

The direct sale agreement on the detectors was signed on Thursday. Mr Suriya said the ceremony could not be arranged in advance due to a problem with ITO. NBIA reached an agreement with ITO on Wednesday, he said. ITO would be fined 2.5 million baht a day if the consortium could not completely install the scanners by Sept 29. Agreement on that condition was only reached on Wednesday, so there was no time to tell the press about the signing ceremony.

Thawatchai Suthiprapha, the ITO project manager, said the consortium, comprising Italian-Thai Development, Takenaka and Obayashi, would talk to NBIA on Tuesday on the working plan for the scanners and would try to meet deadline.

George, Are you "anti Thai" ? The only news etc that you ever post on this board is always negative and always results in hundreds of posts from people laughing and taking a jab at Thai people, do you filter this news and never post anything positive ?

News will always be slanted negative somewhat. You never see reporters rushing out to a remote area of the country to report that everything is fine. You will never see interviews with people who survived a perfect airtcraft landing, or see "No deadly earthquake in Chaing Mai today" headlines.

You will also not see George being anti-Thai. Read back even one page and you will see a fairly good balance of stories.

Keep in mind also that most of our news feeds come from Thai media. :o

cv

Of course they will make a profit, not for 7/11 but for themselves.

First they will install some good friends at strategical positions so they can get some cheap supplies in from neighboring countries, using other friends as middle men to skim off some of the profits.

Then another friend will be used to run the place. He will hire workers at minimum salary, and then fine those 50% because they don’t work 25 hours a day 8 days a week.

When business booms they will expand the store by encroaching on the nearby buildings.

When they have made enough money for themselves there will be a reshuffle to ensure as many as possible can have a go at it. :D

I think that Mr Taksin has proved himself capable of running a business and making a profit, so what are you saying? :D

It must just be the rest of them that can't do anything right, yes? :D

To call Toxin a successful businessman in Thailand is a bit of a stretch. It is not exactly a level playing field where he is concerned.

Let him try his business practices outside of Thailand and I am not so sure he would have excelled as he did.

I am reading a book about good ol' Toxin now. All I can say is TIT.

To call Toxin a successful businessman in Thailand is a bit of a stretch.  It is not exactly a level playing field where he is concerned.

Let him try his business practices outside of Thailand and I am not so sure he would have excelled as he did.

I am reading a book about good ol' Toxin now.  All I can say is TIT.

Yeah, and Boeing wouldn't be a successful company if it were anywhere but America. Thank goodness there are those who are willing to actually play on the field instead of complain about the quality of the field.

:o

Yeah, and Boeing wouldn't be a successful company if it were anywhere but America. 

As Airbus (based in Europe and at par with Boeing), Bombardier (Canada) and smaller niche market aircraft makers like Piaggio and Agusta (Italy), Embraer (Brazil) and many others show, Boeing WOULD be successful if based in any fairer playing fields than Thailand and other similar 3rd world countries...

Thank goodness there are those who are willing to actually play on the field instead of complain about the quality of the field. 

You wil find that what people are saying here is that while successful international players like Boeing are successful and base their success ALSO outside their home turf, your Mr T has made his fortune just screwing the common Thai people taking advantage of the laws, values, social system, customs and business practices in the Thai environment (in other words, of the Thai culture). Since practically every other Thai would have (and HAS) done exactly the same I agree with you and call him a VERY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSMAN... by Thai standards.

He will be considered a true successful businessman the day he will prove himself and be successful also in an OPEN market, outside Thailand (he has money enough to try and make bigger money on the richer OPEN foreign markets).

I bet we will never see that day.

Boeing was very successful when it was in a USA that :

(1) had an investment climate that persuaded people that it was right to put their money into a firm and leave it there long-term,

(2) was getting enormous military contracts that paid for the development of planes whose commercial derivatives (such as the 707 and 747) could then be got to market with minimal development costs.

But now Boeing is losing out to Airbus, and so is struggling to survive.

The reasons are that:

(1) above is no longer the case (with Wall Street demanding immediate, continuous returns----read Will Hutton's 'The World We're In' for a detailed analysis), and

(2) above isn't able to happen, because there is no military requirement for planes like the Airbus 380 (so no hidden subsidisation by the US taxpayers).

Sad for Boeing, but even sadder for Seattle. However, we must recognise that Boeing and Seattle were lucky to have over 40 years of the market being nicely 'fixed' for them. TS is but a small player compared to those in the really big league!!!