Taco & Salsa Gone?

MonPengCarabao

the Mexican food at Los Cabos is basically on a par with Red Onion or El Torito chain restaurants in California... Nothing wrong with that. I've eaten at them many times. But nothing to get excited about....

I do not know either chain, but Mexican food in Thailand that is on par with Mexican food in California is really a treat for those of us who never go home. :ermm:

Spolia, if you actually read it, you'd see I was responding to the immediately prior comment TV member Kyb, who I don't know at all...

Don't know what kind of Mexican friends you have here, but the Mexican food at Los Cabos is basically on a par with Red Onion or El Torito chain restaurants in California... Nothing wrong with that. I've eaten at them many times. But nothing to get excited about....

I disagree completely. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are not the final arbiter on what constitutes good Mexican. Yours is just another opinion, like anyone else's. It would be more tactful of you to accept that rather than making such bald statements. ;)

In my opinion the Mexican food at Los Cabos is nothing at all like the food at the two chains you've mentioned. The dishes are more like Mexican food in Baja California. Far better ingredients than found at La Monita IMO, and more thought put into the preparation.

My Mexican friends hail from Mexico City. Jorge of Tacos & Salsa is one who prefers Los Cabos to any other; he stops by often.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

• 2 weeks later...

I finally stopped into Los Cabos tonight with my brother to check first hand on the conflicting reports I've seen on this forum and from word of mouth. Here's my assessment:

1.) The atmosphere was great. The big old wooden house painted in pastels like a large Baja style beach bungalow was very nice and the bar looked like it would be a great place to watch American sports if you're into that.

2.) The service was prompt and friendly.

3.) No "service charge" added to the bill. You tip whatever you feel appropriate.

4.) I ordered the Los Cabos Special Combination which was a steak taco and an enchilada with rice and beans. It was absolutely terrible. Everything on the plate was cold. The taco shell had obviously been fried well beforehand and was rubbery and stale. The Spanish (Mexican) rice was so cold it must have been sitting around all day. It wasn't even slightly warm. I have sometimes described some Mexican food in Bangkok as not bad "for Thailand" but this crap could only be described as lousy no matter where it was prepared.

5.) I really miss Jorge's place.

6.) I will make another attempt at La Monita's soon. The first two times I ventured by the place it was closed, even at times when the hours stated on the website said it should be open.

Sunrise Tacos Mexican food, in my experience, is definitely better than Los Cabos.

LC obviosly has the night out atmosphere, whereas ST is open 24 hours and offers a nice array of good salsas... each has something to offer.

But if the poster above doesnt stop writing in ALL CAPS, <snip>

Edited by soundman

I ate at Los Cabos last month. A pleasant restaurant with a decent choice of eating spots...as I was alone I sat in the bar area and ordered some beer....was pleasantly surprised by the 3 for 2 offer on beers. :)

For starters I had Chicken Tamales which was fresh and tasty thoroughly enjoyable and not too much thankfully as I had ordered the Crispy Pork Carnitas Fajitas as a main. This was delicious also quite spicy although the meat was a tad fatty in places for my liking.

Overall I thought the meal was very good and I'd be happy to eat there again. Staff and manager very pleasant too.

Bear in mind though I'm a Brit and not familiar with the nuances of North American Mexican restaurants....this was better than anywhere in London I've tried for sure.

Look forward to trying La Monita sometime as well.

:)

Edited by smokie36

Big Difference.

La Monita is a Mexican food place.

Los Cabos is NOT

Wrong.

Neither one serves authentic Mexican food.

Los Cabos comes a lot closer, though. Tortillas that don't fall apart immediately on lifting (Sunrise), for one thing.

And offers better service, better atmosphere and homemade salsas that don't come in squirt bottles (La Monita). :D

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Current ranking, in descending order, scored for flavors, service, atmosphere, authenticity, on a 5-point scale:

Los Cabos 4 + 5 + 5 + 4 = 18

La Monita 3 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 13

Sunrise 2 + 4 + 2 + 2 = 10

27 years of enjoying Mexican cuisine, from bad to good, in California and all 26 states of Mexico)

Spolia, how much of an ownership or partnership interest do you have in Los Cabos???

Because, that's the only circumstance I can imagine that would explain the wacked out ratings you've provided above...

And it's not just me... there are plenty of others here on TV who consider LC's food as pretty mediocre Mexican...

Some things are matters of degree or taste, to be sure... But in this case, they're not even in the same league as any variety of authentic Mexican food...

But still, a nice place for an evening out...

Spolia, how much of an ownership or partnership interest do you have in Los Cabos???

Because, that's the only circumstance I can imagine that would explain the wacked out ratings you've provided above...

And it's not just me... there are plenty of others here on TV who consider LC's food as pretty mediocre Mexican...

Some things are matters of degree or taste, to be sure... But in this case, they're not even in the same league as any variety of authentic Mexican food...

But still, a nice place for an evening out...

I have zero ownership, partnership or any other kind interest in Los Cabos, other than as a customer who is very passionate about Mexican food.

When Los Cabos first opened I was skeptical. First off I didn't like the name because it made me think of Cabo San Lucas, one of my least favorite places in Mexico, second I fond the salsas too mild. We can argue about salsas all day, but I know Mexican salsas down to the T, and all the salsas at LC are now as good as anywhere else (except for T&S, the best when it was still open). Los Cabos has improved the salsas since the first month they were open, but even if they hadn't I'd still prefer it because they serve better Mexican cuisine than any other joint in Bangkok, by my standards, period.

It all comes down to personal taste though. If you've had a different backgrund in Mexican cuisine and thus prefer A, B, or C versions, that's cool. Enjoy. But when you or powderpuff pretend like your opinions count more than anyone else's I find it irritating, because they don't. Or if you think they do, establish your credentials. As far as I see, you're just another guy who likes to eat out, and have no special expertise in gastronomy or food criticism. I've eaten Mexican cuisine from childhood, in Mexico and the USA, I've lived in Mexico, I've written extensively on Mexican cooking at home and abroad. But really that's all beside the point. I have an opinion, and I give it, and I give the reasons to back it up. I don't expect everyone to agree.

For me, the Mexican dishes at LC are the most authentically flavored, and more faithful to the spirit of the true variety of Mexican dishes available in Mexico -- than any other resto in town, all of which (Sunrise and La Monita included), serve nothing but the equivalent of Mexican fast food.

After many visits to Los Cabos - I eat there almost weekly nowadays, as it's so easy to reach from my office -- I've had a chance to meet and talk to the manager at LC. He's extremely passionate about everything Mexican, has traveled extensively in Mexico, knows the regional cuisines, knows the different kinds of chiles in different regions, knows the history of the food culture and has owned several Mexican restaurants before. No one else operating a restaurant in Bangkok, other than Mexico native Jorge Bernal, has that kind of experience. Jorge is a regular customer (he also DJs at parties there) but I think that Robb is ultimately a more talented chef than Jorge (whose background is the music industry - T&S was his first restaurant), and I'm sure Jorge would admit that. Still Jorge could teach Robb a lot about Mexican cooking, and I'd love to see them work together someday because they're both super-passionate about Mexican flavors, neither interested in imitating any American style of Mexican cooking, or 'carne asada fries' etc. You might enjoy chatting with Robb yourself -- I doubt you'll find another gringo in Bangkok who knows more about Mexico or Mexican food.

So I agree, a nice evening out. Love the selection of good tequilas that no one else in town has. Fresh chiles poblanos flown in weekly for the chiles rellenos. Best Baja-style lobster I've ever eaten at an affordable price. A lot to like.

There are more good reviews of LC on TV, as far as I can tell, than negative ones. In fact the only negative ones I've read have come from you, now that I think about it. It doesn't sound to me like you have given the place a fair shake. I'm not sure you could, at this point, given the disparaging remarks you've made here on TV.

I grew up and lived most of my life in Los Angeles, and have eaten all varieties of Mexican food there and elsewhere... It's one of my two loves, along with Thai food.

I've also written many many many restaurant reviews here on TV, good and bad and explaining why in detail, depending on the place... As far as I can tell, Spolia, you're a one trick pony.... LC LC LC and more LC....

It always makes me wonder when one poster obsesses over one place where the food is mediocre at best... and then isn't much present on any other restaurant subjects here on ThaiVisa...

My opinion counts for what is it... my opinion... But if you read earlier in this thread and elsewhere, you'll find plenty who share my opinion as regards the food at LC.

Just read Groongthep's review of Los Cabos above, so I stand corrected. Two negative reviews of Los Cabos here that I can recall. I'm quite surprised at what you described, never had anything arrive cold at the table. Unlike at La Monita, where I have. But I probably should give La Monita another chance. Eaten there twice out of five tries (closed three times) but will. But it's more of a snack bar than a restaurant, though I hear they are expanding. I hope they will also be expanding their menu beyond antojitos.

And yet, your wacky ratings chart below appears to give La Monita your highest mark for them (4) for "atmosphere", and all 3s for your other categories...

Now.. that IS crazy... La Monita has very nice, good food and a pretty broad menu of choices, but at least prior to their coming expansion, almost no "atmosphere" of any kind. Just a shophouse hole in the wall with colored paint.

LC and La Monita are almost mirror images of each other... La Monita the place to go for food, and LC the place to go for a night out and drinks...and so-so food.

But at least, the British guy who posted above likes LC's food, same as you... So that ought to be some kind of recommendation, coming from a Brit.

PS - La Monita has consistently been closed on Sundays ever since they opened, and anyone who goes there knows that... They also close occasionally for private parties, and were closed for some time during the Red riots because they were in the midst of them... Other than that, I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem finding them open for business....

Current ranking, in descending order, scored for flavors, service, atmosphere, authenticity, on a 5-point scale:

Los Cabos 4 + 5 + 5 + 4 = 18

La Monita 3 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 13

Sunrise 2 + 4 + 2 + 2 = 10

27 years of enjoying Mexican cuisine, from bad to good, in California and all 26 states of Mexico)

Edited by jfchandler

I grew up and lived most of my life in Los Angeles, and have eaten all varieties of Mexican food there and elsewhere... It's one of my two loves, along with Thai food.

I've also written many many many restaurant reviews here on TV, good and bad and explaining why in detail, depending on the place... As far as I can tell, Spolia, you're a one trick pony.... LC LC LC and more LC....

It always makes me wonder when one poster obsesses over one place where the food is mediocre at best... and then isn't much present on any other restaurant subjects here on ThaiVisa...

My opinion counts for what is it... my opinion... But if you read earlier in this thread and elsewhere, you'll find plenty who share my opinion as regards the food at LC.

I've written about every Mexican resto in Bangkok, in detail, here before, except for Mamacita's, the only one I have yet to visit. Guess you missed all those because you got so bogged down slagging LC repeatedly.

If you look back through my posting history you'll see I have touted Tacos & Salsa more frequently. You didn't really understand the food there either, from what I can see.

Lived in Mexico 10 years, traveled and ate in all 26 states. Eaten Mexican throughout California, Arizona, NM and Texas as well. There is a lot more to Mexican cuisine than what is found in LA, although that explains you're preference for La Monita and Sunrise.

I've written over a thousand restaurant reviews for publication, *but* I still respect a non-writer's right to an opinion.

I also wonder about you and your preoccupation with mediocre Mexican food. How does it feel when you read that? What I should say is 'food I consider mediocre.' One man's mediocrity is another's masterpiece, quite clearly.

I guess it just goes to show we have different opinions, as usual.

I believe there are more positive reviews than negative ones on Los Cabos here. But either way this is a self-selected sample, and one easy to tamper with, not exactly a randomly chosen pool of people who have truly experienced every Mexican restaurant in Bangkok enough times to actually draw a fair comparison. That's assuming there is a fair comparison with Mexican food, which every American considers himself to be an expert on, yet few actually know in any depth.

As usual ... agree to disagree, my friend. It would be interesting to have a meal together, to hear your comments in detail and enjoy your talents as a major TV food critic. ;) Happy dining.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I think you'd find I've had far more professional writing bylines in my life than you'd ever hope to have, even counting the ones in your dreams.... Try tallying up 16 years as a daily newspaper reporter in Los Angeles. You're as far off the mark on that as on everything else....

I've written over a thousand restaurant reviews for publication, *but* I still respect a non-writer's right to an opinion.

I've been to Mexico enough times to know I'm not particularly interested in returning there...for the food or anything else.... :D

None of them restaurant reviews, judging from samples here :whistling:

And I've had more bylines if that's the extent of your experience.

Retired now, I presume?

I have never been to Mexico or written reviews for publication, however I still know what tastes good and that is the most important thing. :D

Absolutely.

Taste is subjective. When someone passes judgement based on personal taste, and qualifies it as such, I always respect that opinion.

On the other hand, if someone's experience of Mexican cuisine is limited to outside Mexico, and they debate authenticity, I'm skeptical.

Yes, 16 years as a professional daily newspaper news reporter... and half of that time for one of the largest newspapers in the U.S.

So obviously, in addition to being a poor judge of restaurants, you have difficulty with simple mathematics as well...

Lets see: 16 years times maybe an average of 4 articles per week times 48-50 working weeks per year...

And you think you've had more bylines....

And I've had more bylines if that's the extent of your experience.

Retired now, I presume?