Salaengs/Samlors....

napalm

Am I the only one that feel that the numbers of Salaengs/Samlors, on the roads, have increased over the last year or so ? I think that they are responsible for much of the island's traffic woes. The other morning, driving to work (7km), I counted 27 of them.

1. They are illegal

2. They take up as much space as a small car

3. They are overloaded and halt/delay other traffic

4. They always drive/squeeze up to the front of queues, at red lights, and prevent more than 2-3 cars to go through at green light. (compared to the normal 4 :bah:)

5. .....please feel free to add.......

Edited by napalm

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah just another one of those laws that no one seems to care to see enforced.

I thought it was funny when a year or two ago Rawai municipality were donating 50 shiny new saleangs and after purchasing the police chief reminded them that they were not road legal.. OPPS !! I never heard the outcome of that boondoggle but I assumed they probably just gave them out without fanfare.

I have noticed an increasing number of farangs driving them.

I have too and can't understand why. Either ride on two wheels, or be safer and legal in a car/truck. What's the big draw about riding one of these dangerous illegal vehicles, and might I add, the wrong way quite often?

I have too and can't understand why. Either ride on two wheels, or be safer and legal in a car/truck. What's the big draw about riding one of these dangerous illegal vehicles, and might I add, the wrong way quite often?

I can tell you why I ride one. I prefer to go to work by motorbike, so by having a sidecar I can do that and leave the car at home during the day if I think I don't need it. The sidecar is at the shop overnight, so if I need to transport something, equipment, tanks, I have transport available.

In addition, the sidecar drives a lot cheaper than the truck.

I can tell you why I ride one. I prefer to go to work by motorbike, so by having a sidecar I can do that and leave the car at home during the day if I think I don't need it. The sidecar is at the shop overnight, so if I need to transport something, equipment, tanks, I have transport available.

I have a samlor too. Unlike many car drivers I am v aware of my deficiences and refuse to drive a car here as there's a good chance I would end up killing someone! Feeling safe and protected in a car, I find it only too easy to lose the necessary concentration, and with so many people driving like idiots, one needs to be 100% on the ball at all times.

99% of the time I ride my motorbike, but need something bigger to transport the big water bottles. The chances of killing someone on a motorbike or samlor are far lower than in a car - so for me, are preferable options.

They are not illegal

You can buy yoursef a brand new 100% legal Tiger Retro with sidecar at approx 50k baht

they are illegal if they have not passed a roadworthy test. This is done in BKK area at a cost, so in reality people are unable to make them legalB)

they are a part of thai culture, and the most common way of transporting goods. looking at one you can not decide if its legal or illegal, neither can police, reg book needs to be checked.

lets just accept them, as thais have done for decades:)

Must be some interesting insurance issues when they're involved in an accident. Especially if a farang is driving. Also wondering how many meters a salaeng needs to stop, if loaded with say 200 kg (3 people on it) and driving 50 km/h. Scary that they are allowed on the (main) roads. :unsure:

It's the only way many Thais can scratch a living here.

Instead of bitching about them, why not have a go at the ... in their Benthz (sic) and Fortuners. I've never even been close to being mowed down by somone riding a samlor, but have by a lot of .... safe within their 'status symbols'. S'funny, I always think of some skinny/overweight little guy/fat beeatch with self-confidence issues emerging from these things and never been wrong. .....

As to the poster who said something along the lines of 'a motorbike or car, legally insured' (as if that doesn't stop them trying to send you/themselves to Glory), you're kidding, right?

Edited by LivinginKata
Profanities removed

If the Government acknowledge that people are scratching a living and using them - then legalise them and set up safety standards for them. Should a bike fitted with only drum brakes be allowed to have them? (no) Should they be set up so that the sidecar is also equipped with a brake ? Yes.

It's not that hard. Similar contraptions are legal in the UK actually.

I have two gripes about them.

1. When they 'forget' they are NOT a motorcycle and then block a perfectly good filtering lane for bikes by sitting in a gap between the kerb and a car which they clearly cannot get through......

2. The loony-tunes youths who ride what appears to be a 'company' vehicle delivering gas bottles or water bottles. They drive them as fast as possible............cement truck drivers in the making by the looks of things!

I have a samlor too. Unlike many car drivers I am v aware of my deficiences and refuse to drive a car here as there's a good chance I would end up killing someone! Feeling safe and protected in a car, I find it only too easy to lose the necessary concentration, and with so many people driving like idiots, one needs to be 100% on the ball at all times.

99% of the time I ride my motorbike, but need something bigger to transport the big water bottles. The chances of killing someone on a motorbike or samlor are far lower than in a car - so for me, are preferable options.

For me it is exactly the same. I feel safer than on a motorbike, and having recently bought a car I also feel it makes me feel far less likely to kill a crazy Thai MB rider and end up paying big money. I use mine locally for going surfing or taking my dog with me. I also love the smiles hello's and looks of amazement I get from locals. It brings me back to a community spirit I have never known before. I cant see how I pose a risk or problem to others.

post-68000-010266200 1285936334_thumb.jp

looking at one you can not decide if its legal or illegal, neither can police, reg book needs to be checked.

Of the 27 I spotted the other morning, my rough guess is that they were all illegal. The Highway Police or Phuket

Provincial Land Transport Office should be able to answer that question without even checking their records.

I wonder if there is even one that is legally registered here in Phuket and I'm not talking about professional sidecars

with brakes i.e. HDs etc.

I cant see how I pose a risk or problem to others.

The very essence of my post :whistling:

in the end it is the driver rather than vehicle type which causes the risk or problem and I am slow careful and courteous to others on the road .....I think maybe you should have a closer look at buses, trucks and fortuners who will take any risks to gain a few seconds

Edited by Bluedan

looking at one you can not decide if its legal or illegal, neither can police, reg book needs to be checked.

Of the 27 I spotted the other morning, my rough guess is that they were all illegal. The Highway Police or Phuket

Provincial Land Transport Office should be able to answer that question without even checking their records.

I wonder if there is even one that is legally registered here in Phuket and I'm not talking about professional sidecars

with brakes i.e. HDs etc.

And how did you come to the conclusion they are all illegal? I am wondering, what is illegal about them? Mine gets a new sticker every year plus insurance, is it still illegal?

And how did you come to the conclusion they are all illegal? I am wondering, what is illegal about them? Mine gets a new sticker every year plus insurance, is it still illegal?

Well, I guess that the contraption - probably welded together by a local motorbike repair shop - is not mentioned in the registration book, or is it ? And you don't even have to show the Transport Department or the insurance company/broker the vehicle in order to renew insurance or pay tax. Would the third party insurance cover you if you have an accident with a vehicle that has been modified in this way !?

What I love as a vehicle driver is the samlor that is going the wrong way, that forces the motorbike that is going in the correct direction, to swerve out in front of me to avoid the samlor going the wrong way.

<< I cant see how I pose a risk or problem to others.

Are you the .1 percent of samlor riders that actually obeys the law and doesn't ride the wrong way, nor take up the fast lane? If so, good onya, but evidently I haven't come across you yet.

What I love as a vehicle driver is the samlor that is going the wrong way, that forces the motorbike that is going in the correct direction, to swerve out in front of me to avoid the samlor going the wrong way.

<< I cant see how I pose a risk or problem to others.

Are you the .1 percent of samlor riders that actually obeys the law and doesn't ride the wrong way, nor take up the fast lane? If so, good onya, but evidently I haven't come across you yet.

I dont do any of those things and I am genuinely surprised if you are saying they are more likely to disobey traffic laws than motorbikes or other vehicles.

Edited by Bluedan

I don't think they are disobeing any traffic laws worse than motorbikes, but their riders do tend to forget they are much wider than a motorbike, so the effects of them disobeing traffic laws are more profound. Plus there are less of them, so one notices them more.

Edited by stevenl

:annoyed: Yea and go fit a big umbrella like the locals do ! Maybe we'll get lucky and the umbrella collapses as you are driving down a hill ! Oh and apparantly you don't require tail lights !