Advice On Property Reposession

TTravels

Would appreciate any guidance and advice from folks who are more versed with the Thai legal and banking system - Yes, another story of stupidity and a complete mess my girlfriend has gotten into!

My girlfriend married a Thai 6 years ago. They purchased a house together in Rayong for 800,000 THB with almost a 100% mortgage.

3 months after being together they split up and got divorced (all proper paper work completed) she moved back to Udon and he stayed in the house.

Ok, fast forward to this week and she has just received a letter from the bank saying that no mortgage payments have been made for the past 6 years and the total amount now owing is 1.2m THB

When she got divorced the mortgage seemingly was not transferred to his name so they have joint liability

She went to Rayong to find out more:

A friend of her ex husband has been renting the property out to various people for the past few years (apparently the ex husband owed him money)

The property is now empty and we have changed the locks

The property can not be sold without the consent of the ex-husband who is no where to be found

What options are available ? I have suggested:

Find the ex-husband (not easy I would guess) and try and see what assets he has (maybe he just won the lottery!)

Get a Thai lawyer to write to the bank to negotiate some kind of closure

Transfer car, motorbike & land to family

Bankruptcy ??

Sue the friend for the rent that has been collected on the property ??

Any help, thoughts and suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

TT

gf needs 1.2 million baht, farang gives gf money.

gf lives happily ever after with former Thai husband.

I'm sure your gf is entirely honest and the above scenario is entirely a figment of my paranoid imagination, but really, why worry what Thais get up to with land you can never own.

Repeat after me, not my problem!

Edited by sarahsbloke

I agree with Sarahsbloke.

This is a very straightforward problem. Don't overcomplicate it. Your girlfriend is liable for the loan.

I also doubt this is the first letter in 6 years, and I doubt you are the only "boyfriend" she has tried this on.

Pay or be prepared to hear about this every 10 minutes until you do.

Thanks for the wisdom and of course the usual cynicism :) We have actually been living together for the past three years so I am certain this is a problem born out of naivety or stupidity rather than some underhand plot. (for what its worth, I also find it impossible to believe the bank hasnt done anything for 6 years)

I am trying to help by giving her some practical advice on what she can or can not do. In the UK it would be a trip to the CAB, find the ex-husband, look at bankruptcy, come to an agreement with the bank etc etc

In Thailand are there different options or processes ?

agree, no bank will wait 6 years. But don't worry, if she can't sell it the bank will do it for her.

I agree. Just walk away. Supposedly no contact for six years, so what do you or your gf lose when the bank claims the house and sells it to cover the mortgage?

Thanks for the wisdom and of course the usual cynicism :) We have actually been living together for the past three years so I am certain this is a problem born out of naivety or stupidity rather than some underhand plot. (for what its worth, I also find it impossible to believe the bank hasnt done anything for 6 years)

I am trying to help by giving her some practical advice on what she can or can not do. In the UK it would be a trip to the CAB, find the ex-husband, look at bankruptcy, come to an agreement with the bank etc etc

If I may explain

My last Tgf missed a payment on her mortgage, bank officials knocked on the door the very next month.

Out here they don't wait six weeks, let alone 6 years.

The only reason a Thai person asks a foreigner about debt problems, is to get the foreigner to pay.

It doesn't really matter how long you have been together, some girls play the long game (I've known a scam to be done after 10 years together)

How about this for an idea!

She has deciced to dump you (met someone else, husband come back, etc.), but is looking for a cash payout before she leaves.

Everyone on this thread has given you the same advice, so why ask, if you won't believe any of us?

She can tell the bank to proceed and sell the house if she can't sell it herself without her ex.

As said, this smells, as no bank will wait for 6 years. I would investigate why the bank waited so long.

I wouldn't even bother investigating. Just call the bluff and instruct the bank to put the house on the market & be done with it. Any excuse after that will indicate your "real" position.

]

Good luck.

Repossession happens within the final day in the 3rd month in ANY country. Don't eat the chocolate cause that ain't chocolate . Sounds like someone is flogging the dog. And a very lame attempt at getting the stupid farang to help. 6 years Is the bank still in business? One would have to wonder. Not a brilliant idea to loan with no final date of payment & no interest at that coming in.

If I may explain

My last Tgf missed a payment on her mortgage, bank officials knocked on the door the very next month.

Out here they don't wait six weeks, let alone 6 years.

The only reason a Thai person asks a foreigner about debt problems, is to get the foreigner to pay.

It doesn't really matter how long you have been together, some girls play the long game (I've known a scam to be done after 10 years together)

How about this for an idea!

She has deciced to dump you (met someone else, husband come back, etc.), but is looking for a cash payout before she leaves.

Everyone on this thread has given you the same advice, so why ask, if you won't believe any of us?

True.

If the OP looks back a few pages he will see for himself (the property expert who's wife changed the names over).

Anyone else see a pattern here with these newbie "my thai wife has ripped me off...", "how much should i pay my thai family each month?...." "wife's ex husband has ripped us off..." posts?

They are allways newbie posts, allways in the same writing style, all approximtly one month apart, allways very negative about Thai women.

I think they are written by Thai Visa staff just to collect the "clicks" from google.

Just look over them. It's the same person writing every time.

Written in a "Dear John" format!

Edited by Livinginexile
  • Like 1