Is There An Exodus Of People More Than Businesses?

mamborobert

There have been countless post about businesses closing down, and the high baht rate.

Recently we have seen good businesses simply close for lack of a buyer, some businesses have halved their initial sale price and still no buyer, others looking to loss lead or look at some other promotions just to get people in the door. Board sponsors for example seem to me to be active seeking opinions and (quite rightfully) promoting their business.

You then have the extra flogs of a poor exchange rate for USD, Euro, Pound (with no clear sign of improvement against the baht, which in turn couple with Thai politics affects tourism (which is not a big money earner for Thailand per se but employs heaps)....and keeps a few expats financial....and don't get me started on the visa regime.

There are less students by all accounts and the current fracas with the Uni will not help that.

So business wise things are looking grim...but that is only a microcosm of the broader long term expat community.

It seems to me (from various web pages, forums and just cruising around) that there is also a lot more farang homes and condos on the market of late (as well as people selling all forms of brickabat) as well as cars and bikes. Am I right in this?

With nearly a 40 % more or less constant rate reduction in the pound (for example) over the last 5 years people who were not even close to the margin must be suffering.

I was looking at one condo as crash pad when in town originally on the market for 800 000 for almost a year and not selling...so I wait as I see the AUD is trending up. Last week the price went up to 950 000! after a very modest refit to try and sell the place (read install LCD and put new sheets on bed). Caught up with the owner for a beer (have known him for yeas) and basically he needs to sell as cannot afford to stay, but with the poor exchange rate he needs to up the price to come just to try and minimize his loss on the place. I know its crazy logic...but as the pound sinks lower the price or the property must come up, apparently he has a few friends in the complex with similar issues. They know its mad but they have nothing of value other than the property. some have already sold computers and cameras.

As mentioned earlier there seems to be (to me) a heap more farang properties for sale, and rentals available

So while threads have been going on about businesses packing up and leaving....are people going en masse as well?

Seems to me that the only growth area for long term expats in Chiang Mai is evangelical preachers !

Edited by mamborobert

Leaving aside the whole issue of what's a person with a million baht in net-worth doing living in Thailand (or any foreign country) to begin with, I'm sure there are many in similar situations. We see it in Pattaya as well. However, they are certainly not going to have much of a warm welcome back in Blighty if they plan to return there. The economy pretty much sucks in most of Europe (ex-Germany and the Scandinavian countries), with 25-40 percent cuts in public sector employment rolls and reductions in "benefits" to boot.

Sounds like to me that many folks didn't do their planning too well or partied too hardy during their abbreviated stays in the LOS. Maybe best to head on over to Rooland as I read that blokes fresh out of high-school can make AU$ 100k per year working in the mining industry. [Tip to get there: Go to Philippines for 6 mos. and find a Filipina nursing graduate to marry and then apply for skilled migration visa to Aus. and piggy-back in as her husband.]

• Like 1

Leaving aside the whole issue of what's a person with a million baht in net-worth doing living in Thailand (or any foreign country) to begin with, I'm sure there are many in similar situations. We see it in Pattaya as well. However, they are certainly not going to have much of a warm welcome back in Blighty if they plan to return there. The economy pretty much sucks in most of Europe (ex-Germany and the Scandinavian countries), with 25-40 percent cuts in public sector employment rolls and reductions in "benefits" to boot.

Sounds like to me that many folks didn't do their planning too well or partied too hardy during their abbreviated stays in the LOS. Maybe best to head on over to Rooland as I read that blokes fresh out of high-school can make AU$ 100k per year working in the mining industry. [Tip to get there: Go to Philippines for 6 mos. and find a Filipina nursing graduate to marry and then apply for skilled migration visa to Aus. and piggy-back in as her husband.]

The Pinay nurse route won't work as they cannot get registration without doing a conversion course (hence most go to Oz via UK hospitals). Best bet if you want to avoid Blighty is a Pinoy Welder....we need these guys.....and having seen some girls from Manchester in sub zero temperatures a few years ago I can understand that why people explore other sides of their sexuality in order to escape them for Oz :)

I do take your point that you should not be here without the dollars...but a 40% drop would ruin a lot of peoples plans.......

Edited by mamborobert

Best bet if you want to avoid Blighty is a Pinoy Welder....we need these guys.....and having seen some girls from Manchester in sub zero temperatures a few years ago I can understand that why people explore other sides of their sexuality in order to escape them for Oz :)

I believe gay marriage may be legal in Rooland...so the alternative plan is again move to Phils. but instead of a nurse, find a gay welder to marry. Your new lover then applies to immigrate to Rooland and takes you along as his "spouse." You then get married in Auz. and claim political asslym because the Phils. doesn't recognize gay marriage and being staunchly RC is very homophobic to boot. Then you both live happily in Auz....him making the big bucks and you cooking and cleaning the house.

Maybe we'll be seeing lots of Western guys in Thailand getting in touch with their feminine side as well. :whistling:

• Like 2

Don't really have any real knowledge but I do have a opinion.

The expat club has gone from two meetings a month to one due to not enough participation.

Chiang Mai Mail is no longer a weekly it is now every other week.

To me it would seem that expats are leaving Chiang Mai. That is not to say they are leaving Thailand but I would surmise that is the case.:mellow:

Your little quip about someone with 1,000,000 baht net worth is doing or living in Thailand is not well -taken. People can do whatever they please and can enjoy life with a sense of adventure. You do not have to be a wealthy idiot to have fun in this world. Someday your luck may run out, no matter what your plans where. I do agree life is full of consequences, but life is also full adventure and taking the chance. You sound like a person who would only make a bet in card game if he had 4 aces.

I was thinkin more about retirees. If someone is working age and has marketable skills but little capital sure go for it.

The expat club has gone from two meetings a month to one due to not enough participation.

To me it would seem that expats are leaving Chiang Mai. That is not to say they are leaving Thailand but I would surmise that is the case.:mellow:

Charles Fish and Chips just closed, Piggy's is up for sale. Tuskers just closed. Shale we keep going?

Charles Fish and Chips just closed, Piggy's is up for sale. Tuskers just closed. Shale we keep going?

Not sure if that means the expats have left the city. Could mean the Baht is strong and there home money is worth a lot less there fore they are eating at home and cutting back on there drinking. The expats and Chiang Mai mail amount to one night out. I believe the ones you mentioned would not be hurt that much if people just stayed in one night a month. JMO

I personally don't frequent any of the above so I would not know but do they not have any native customers are they only used by expats.:mellow:

Edited by jayjay0

Maybe The Duke's and The Pun Pun should sell before all the buyers are used up and taken....

:rolleyes:

PS Maybe I should sell, but what would I do with all the discounts not given away yet???

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Maybe The Duke's and The Pun Pun should sell before all the buyers are used up and taken....

:rolleyes:

PS Maybe I should sell, but what would I do with all the discounts not given away yet???

You could give the discounts to the cheep charlies.:lol:

Try going to immigration if you think the expat population is reducing.

Our one year took nearly 4 hours last month and friends in the past week took over 6 hours.

Does not help that the "retirement" ticket is now lumped in with student visas and there are a lot of them particularly from Asia, mainly China when we were there.

As for businesses going down, mainly western expat style restaurants I believe, we have eaten at food courts more this year than ever before-simple economics.I doubt that we are alone in this.

Try going to immigration if you think the expat population is reducing.

Our one year took nearly 4 hours last month and friends in the past week took over 6 hours.

Does not help that the "retirement" ticket is now lumped in with student visas and there are a lot of them particularly from Asia, mainly China when we were there.

As for businesses going down, mainly western expat style restaurants I believe, we have eaten at food courts more this year than ever before-simple economics.I doubt that we are alone in this.

I definitely agree withe you about not eating at western restaurants as much and expats out past the super highway are not going into town as much as they have a better and larger selection of venues outside of town to go to. Question why 4 to 6 hours at immigration? It has never taken me any longer than 1.5 hours but then again I get there at 7:30.

Edited by gotlost

The business side has been done to death on various threads. I was more interested in your average run of the mill garden expat. The only reason I raised the question is that it seemed to me that there were a lot more vacant houses around, a lot more houses for sale, and ditto for condos....and quite a few of them seem to be empty of furniture as well.

Whether web surfing, walking round, or visiting other expats it just seems that every community seems to have more that the average number of Farang properties available.

The observations of jayjay0 about the mail and the expat club seem to tie into this a bit but i never really saw the interest in the mail or expat club anyway so I always thought they had a limited shelf life regardless of expat numbers when you have competition from various web services for the mail and the expat community is so broad that a club could become to "clubby" and just appeal to those who were already in it....we all have our own little social circles.

But I digress....does anyone else think there are more properties .available for sale or rent.

I definitely agree withe you about not eating at western restaurants as much and expats out past the super highway are not going into town as much as they have a better and larger selection of venues outside of town to go to. Question why 4 to 6 hours at immigration? It has never taken me any longer than 1.5 hours but then again I get there at 7:30.

In the past it was usually around 2 hours.

Arrived at 7.45am only 12 people in front of me in total for 90 days,re entry etc I assumed. Fully expected to be 1st or 2nd in line for "retirement visa turned out 10 of the 12 in front were there for student visas and as I pointed out we are now lumped in with them so was actually number 11.Left just before 11.35am.

Our friends made the mistake of going at 9am and had a ridiculously long queue in front of them,left at 3.20pm.

On another note-I did hear that Chiang Mai immigration have been allocated 1 million baht to expand the premises to cope with the increasing numbers. That will not go very far!

Bit of a slap when they had apparently already taken over 90 million baht in various fees this year already.

In the past it was usually around 2 hours.

Arrived at 7.45am only 12 people in front of me in total for 90 days,re entry etc I assumed. Fully expected to be 1st or 2nd in line for "retirement visa turned out 10 of the 12 in front were there for student visas and as I pointed out we are now lumped in with them so was actually number 11.Left just before 11.35am.

Our friends made the mistake of going at 9am and had a ridiculously long queue in front of them,left at 3.20pm.

On another note-I did hear that Chiang Mai immigration have been allocated 1 million baht to expand the premises to cope with the increasing numbers. That will not go very far!

Bit of a slap when they had apparently already taken over 90 million baht in various fees this year already.

Could it have been bad timing with a lot of students going there now with CMU et al threatening to cancel visas and advising students to leave in two days...so lots running round seeking extensions, changing education providers and doing border runs.

The business side has been done to death on various threads. I was more interested in your average run of the mill garden expat. The only reason I raised the question is that it seemed to me that there were a lot more vacant houses around, a lot more houses for sale, and ditto for condos....and quite a few of them seem to be empty of furniture as well.

Whether web surfing, walking round, or visiting other expats it just seems that every community seems to have more that the average number of Farang properties available.

The observations of jayjay0 about the mail and the expat club seem to tie into this a bit but i never really saw the interest in the mail or expat club anyway so I always thought they had a limited shelf life regardless of expat numbers when you have competition from various web services for the mail and the expat community is so broad that a club could become to "clubby" and just appeal to those who were already in it....we all have our own little social circles.

But I digress....does anyone else think there are more properties .available for sale or rent.

Thai Visa alone has 1000 classified adds for houses and rentals in Chiang Mai. Toss in all the other realtors and you have over 4500 :whistling:

Edited by gotlost

i barely finish the first post . so what i am about to write is just cos i am bored and i want to do some bad spelling finger workout .

business . even since i was a kid i had my share of running business . my family own a large store which supply daily used stuff to the housing block . what i had in mind when i was a Kid is that . gosh what my parent sell is so boring . who will buy it . so when ever i got chance i will try to sell the idea that toys sell better . so i end up with every pcs of toys when i was young ..

gosh if only i had keep it well i would be a millionair a few time . i got the whole set of MASK , SKy commander , SIlver HAWK , Tranformer , visionary , Hotwheel , seriously every pcs .

but as all kid don't see the value of what he own .. over the years thing somehow grow legs and walk out of his life .

ok that aside .

as the idea of how my parent make money selling boring STuff stuck with me at a young age , i slowly understand what Market NEEDS is about .

most businessman or woman look at number - and are so good with caculator that you can caculate a losing business into a profit one by adding Imaginary customer or sale .

what i see most on the market is what i can the wagon business . lack of creative idea , and understanding of business , jumping on the wagon is the easiest way to get you what you WANT?

maybe but in most case . many Fail . which is GOOD really all business must fail a few time . so you learn the real Secret .

no or not much people will spoon feed you a good business or sell you a bussiness that earn him 100,000 a month for 1 million . you do the ratio .

what ever i am typing are not going in any order , i am just typing what i feel and think here by randomly putting it to you raw , just like business . the weird logic of making it work is more complex

yet if you understand the flow , you more or less will and know that no one business stay black forever unless you change .

placing ads itself is a business , is a passive way of bussiness the mere bullshiit i am typing is helping thaivisa earn money .i wonder if we can get PAY PER POST we made . since there are making alots of money from the post we are doing :) whahah

ok let not poke too hard .

CHANGE -

if you want to stay afloat in any business you got to CHANGE . like evolution business itself is a growing and ever changing eco .

KNOWLEDGE -

know what yo do and know what other do . at this time and age what you do alone is not enough

that why i enjoy most going to trade show and event and even sharing my business view with people .

HEART -

This is my personal commitment or way of doing thing . if you do not have the heart for what you do . don't do it .

passion is very importance in all business , all i can say is not everyone is made to be a business man .

in that case you be better off being a investor . or worker or just live off your pension

---------------

Spending -

The market is weird . people just spend without thinking . and when there is any crisis there start spending less , but that just human , a good business man would target that and make it him into customer , as shown tesco is the winner , cos at good time the resturant buy the bacon from tesco and at bad time the customer of the resturant by from tesco . this is just one example.

-

my golden saying is such .

SAVE NOT WHAT YOU SPEND , SPEND NOT WHAT YOU SAVE .

anyway .

i may ask what to change - well think basic :)

while i am typing this two shoe meaningless post all the while google is flashing this under the reply

wc1getbbu2rsr2ppf9k.jpg

whahaha maybe you should call them whahahhahahahhahaha since there know what you want

Edited by Ta22

Exodus out of here not a chance. Exodus for people leaving their perspective countries and relocating here day by day, absolutely, and in the droves. In my 18 years here, 10 of them in Chiang Mai as well as the first 18 yrs ago being an visit here, I have seen an increase of foreigners beyond immaginability. Every year it just keeps on increasing with no borders in sight.

Anyway as for the restaurants, my opinion is that people living here buy cheaper or cook at home from buying nice products from the medium to excellent products at the nicer stores like Rimping. Generally I do not frequent any Foreign owned restaurants or restaurants that predominately serve Western Food in the areas referred to in Chiang Mai like Mad Dogs the Dukes or etc. If I do visit a restaurant, it is non Western (Beside Pizza) and usually always at a Mall or Hyper mart or it will be down in Bangkok which can be Western food at any restaurant or place of choosing. Otherwise here, my wife and I cook all foods at home whether Thai (all different Thai styles - North, North East, Central, South) or Western of any style, and we do this cheaper, and it is generally always more delicious than going out anywhere, "but of course excluding specialty Italian dishes". I take it back.. I do make a Miguel’s run on an average of 1-2 times a year so far which would not keep them in business.

We have many kids so we choose accordingly to make all happy, and we do our best according to being able to do it consistently at a lower price with family activities or perhaps shopping and ice cream afterwards.

My friend imports the Amy's organic foods from the US and I see their oven and microwavable products sell great volume at all of the stores or hyper marts that carry their products, being almost hard to keep them on the shelves. The new thing I buy is a Grade A new IQF seafood line from TOPS' Cooking for Fun brand that is simply superb having 6 different items. Only Grade A IQF Seafood I know about. There are better and nicer things than going to restaurants in Chiang Mai all the time unless you live alone. If someone does not live alone then the trend is to stay home and cook with ones’ own immediate company, and this seems to be the consensus of many of my friends here. So it does not seem there is an Exodus leaving Chiang Mai or Thailand, being one mans opinion, and yes,I agree, just go look at the immigration office 5 days in a row to understand that here isn't.

uncletom

Here is a little heads up from someone having worked for many years in the financial services industry and who stays updated on what's really happening.

Right now, the entire world is in a major transition and things are happening and will continue to happen for the foreseeable future at warp speed.

The bad news is what we are seeing with downward currency fluctuations in the US dollar (add the UK pound)is not a temporary anomaly. It is going to get a lot worse from where we are at. If anyone is depending on their US dollar assets or income in order to be able to live in Thailand, you could be in for a rude awakening and sooner than you think.

While deflation has been in the news as the current concern, what I see is the sounding of the alarm that the US is nearing a point where it can soon become a victim of hyperinflation. If this does happen the US dollar will collapse and with that, soon lose all value. Not 10, 20 or 30% drop from where it is at now. It loses all value and goes to zero - period.

That would mean anyone depending on and receiving US dollars every month via pension, social security or whatever will not have enough funds to live on. You would be better off to have a small Thai business that clears a little profit each month. Either that or have funds in currencies other than dollars/UK pounds or buy gold.

Of course, this is not a 100% prediction but it is high enough in my opinion to be of concern. Even without hyperinflation, the US dollar will continue to decline and I would not be surprised to see it at 25 baht per dollar or even 20 baht per dollar within the next year. And no - I am not wishing it at all as US dollars are what I get paid.

So is there and will there be an exodus from Thailand? Who knows, but in comparison I think things are going to get much worse in the US and UK. In any event, I would rather wait out the storm in the LOS. The fact there is definitely a major storm brewing shouldn't be in question. Just how big and how bad it will be is anyone's guess.

Exodus out of here not a chance. Exodus for people leaving their perspective countries and relocating here day by day, absolutely, and in the droves. In my 18 years here, 10 of them in Chiang Mai as well as the first 18 yrs ago being an visit here, I have seen an increase of foreigners beyond immaginability. Every year it just keeps on increasing with no borders in sight.

Anyway as for the restaurants, my opinion is that people living here buy cheaper or cook at home from buying nice products from the medium to excellent products at the nicer stores like Rimping. Generally I do not frequent any Foreign owned restaurants or restaurants that predominately serve Western Food in the areas referred to in Chiang Mai like Mad Dogs the Dukes or etc. If I do visit a restaurant, it is non Western (Beside Pizza) and usually always at a Mall or Hyper mart or it will be down in Bangkok which can be Western food at any restaurant or place of choosing. Otherwise here, my wife and I cook all foods at home whether Thai (all different Thai styles - North, North East, Central, South) or Western of any style, and we do this cheaper, and it is generally always more delicious than going out anywhere, "but of course excluding specialty Italian dishes". I take it back.. I do make a Miguel's run on an average of 1-2 times a year so far which would not keep them in business.

We have many kids so we choose accordingly to make all happy, and we do our best according to being able to do it consistently at a lower price with family activities or perhaps shopping and ice cream afterwards.

My friend imports the Amy's organic foods from the US and I see their oven and microwavable products sell great volume at all of the stores or hyper marts that carry their products, being almost hard to keep them on the shelves. The new thing I buy is a Grade A new IQF seafood line from TOPS' Cooking for Fun brand that is simply superb having 6 different items. Only Grade A IQF Seafood I know about. There are better and nicer things than going to restaurants in Chiang Mai all the time unless you live alone. If someone does not live alone then the trend is to stay home and cook with ones' own immediate company, and this seems to be the consensus of many of my friends here. So it does not seem there is an Exodus leaving Chiang Mai or Thailand, being one mans opinion, and yes,I agree, just go look at the immigration office 5 days in a row to understand that here isn't.

uncletom

Have you got any facts to back your statements up. From what I read you very seldom go where you would see droves of expats on a daily base. Also how do you know the ones you do see aren't moving here from another part of Thailand?

sorry to spill the bean .

the days when you business try to rip one another off selling thing that is worthless and over price is over .

3 simple fact .

-

in the past people i can say is less educated and in one way jolly dumb and easy to cheat .

any sale man can sell all kinda rubbish to house hold ..

Thanks to the internet nowaday . even the slightest flaw will be commented and no longer poor and lousy service .

is just the world adjusting to what stay alive and what die .

those who wishes to carry on their business or their lifestyle . CHANGE . or RIP

Leaving aside the whole issue of what's a person with a million baht in net-worth doing living in Thailand

Well they are doing exactly what the people with ten times or one hundred times that net worth are doing: enjoying cheap beer and cheap sex. The only differences are what size of home or condo they return to at night and whether they hire out short-time or long-time. It is the people with one hundred times that net worth that give me pause to wonder why they bother to live in Thailand.

• Like 2

The Pinay nurse route won't work as they cannot get registration without doing a conversion course (hence most go to Oz via UK hospitals). Best bet if you want to avoid Blighty is a Pinoy Welder....we need these guys.....and having seen some girls from Manchester in sub zero temperatures a few years ago I can understand that why people explore other sides of their sexuality in order to escape them for Oz :)

I do take your point that you should not be here without the dollars...but a 40% drop would ruin a lot of peoples plans.......

Whats a "Pinoy Welder"if you dont mind me asking?

Whats a "Pinoy Welder"if you dont mind me asking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welder

You're welcome.