Work/visitor Visa To Usa

I am trying to obtain a visa for a woman I have made friends with in Bangkok. The woman is a massuse and has been for the past 10 years. She and I have an interest in starting a business in the USA for Thai massage. The thing is I want to see first if she adjusts to how life would be in the US and then if it is ok for her I would then open the business. So, first off, does she apply for a tourist visa and if so is this very very difficult to obtain. I would supply documents for her of support and all paid for trip. If this is not a viable option then try to obtain a work visa. I have no idea how to go about this and do not know if this is the more difficult option or not. Can you tell me if you have any experience in either of these visas and how I should go about it. I want to do everyting above board and not have a red flag pop up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Alice from Virginia

Hi Alice,

I don't know much of the US visa process but would suspect that it is pretty similar in approach to the UK. With the proviso that this is the case, a visit visa applicant has to demonstrate that they have a good reason to return to their native country at the end of their visit. This would normally entail proving, for example, that you have money in the bank and a job to go back to. Additionally, ownership of land and familial ties can be of assistance too. However, for someone who has never travelled before, and who has what some may not class as a well-paid job, the process can be not so straightforward. Ultimately, the success, or otherwise, depends upon the individual's circumstances.

With regard to working in the US, other members are probably better placed to advise.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hi Alice,

I don't know much of the US visa process but would suspect that it is pretty similar in approach to the UK. With the proviso that this is the case, a visit visa applicant has to demonstrate that they have a good reason to return to their native country at the end of their visit. This would normally entail proving, for example, that you have money in the bank and a job to go back to. Additionally, ownership of land and familial ties can be of assistance too. However, for someone who has never travelled before, and who has what some may not class as a well-paid job, the process can be not so straightforward. Ultimately, the success, or otherwise, depends upon the individual's circumstances.

With regard to working in the US, other members are probably better placed to advise.

Cheers,

Scouse.

thanks Scouse, same same all except we cannot sponser anyone personally to obtain a visa where you can.. Hopefully anyone with some experience in this matter will join in. I have contacted attorneys to assist in this matter and the fee quoted is about $3,500-5K for filings etc. I think this is very steep unless they have info that we dont. Do you think that the embassy would look at papers prepared by an attorney differently than if I prepared them? Monday I am stetting up this company and put a letter in the paper looking for workers (as stated by the web site for work visa w/labor certificate) I hope this works out for the both of us. Now she works as a massuse working up to 15 hours a day with some massages being 4 hours....This is abuse. She would be a definate asset here in Virignia whre i live and her work load and the money she will be paid will be so much better for her. If anyone can assist with any ideas or advise please....jump on in...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but it will be difficult for her to obtain a tourist visa. She must prove "compelling ties" to Thailand that ensure she will return. From what you've written it's doubtful she will be able to satisfy the consular staff.

Whatever happens, please post a followup.

Edited by fxm88

I would suggest you go to your local Chamber of Commerce and find out about how to import workers for your "existing" business in the U.S.

Perhaps, inquiry of the INS in their closest available office would also be a good idea. There are many documented foreign workers in the U.S., but what the criteria is and how to do it would clearly be within the purview of the INS,, with an assist from the Chamber of Commerce.

Forget the tourist visa, she clearly doesn't qualify.

I would suggest you go to your local Chamber of Commerce and find out about how to import workers for your "existing" business in the U.S.

Perhaps, inquiry of the INS in their closest available office would also be a good idea.  There are many documented foreign workers in the U.S., but what the criteria is and how to do it would clearly be within the purview of the INS,, with an assist from the Chamber of Commerce.

Forget the tourist visa, she clearly doesn't qualify.

Thanks for your reply, I have started a work visa for this woman, it seems to be the only way. Now if I can just get the documentation from all of prevoius employers stating that she worked there and for how long. I am also thinking of starting a company inThailand and let her work ther for me and then transfer her to the USA through my company....what do you think about this? That is if the work visa dosent go through as planned. I am planning a trip to Thailand in October for a month to learn the language a little better and take notes on how the massage business is run and for design of the spa. Hopefully by then I will know how this is working out...thanks again for your response and advise...cheers

IMHO your not going to learn much about the Thai massage business model that will help you in the U.S. I doubt you will be able to make a go of a Thai massage business here due to the extensive competition, your own inexperience in that business and the working conditions that you have previously expressed distaste for. I suspect there is a lot of corruption and sex oriented influence in the massage business here and the pitfalls are many.

I would suggest researching the successful massage or spa businessess in the U.S. and use that model for your locale.

I am not saying not to learn as much as possble about your business anywhere you find it, just beware how difficult it is for a falang to have a successful business here, especially when you are not bringing to the "table" anything unique to attract customers away from the existing establishments, which abound.

IMHO your not going to learn much about the Thai massage business model that will help you in the U.S.  I doubt you will be able to make a go of a Thai massage business here due to the extensive competition, your own inexperience in that business and the working conditions that you have previously expressed distaste for. I suspect there is a lot of corruption and sex oriented influence in the massage business here and the pitfalls are many.

I would suggest researching the successful massage or spa businessess in the U.S. and  use that model for your locale.

I am not saying not to learn as much as possble about your business anywhere you find it, just beware how difficult it is for a falang to have a successful business here, especially when you are not bringing to the "table" anything unique to attract customers away from the existing establishments, which abound.

I dont think I was clear about forming a company in Thailand. The issue for that is it may be easier for her to transfer inter-company than just a work visa for the US. I know the amount of massage places are numerous so believe me I dont want to start another one in Thailand....market is flooded!!! What I want to do is hire her (for a newley formed company) to do the research etc and then have her transfer here (USA) to work setting up and managing the business. I want the business here to be as close to the Thai massage (professional ) spa as possible. ie; style, design etc. My problem is...getting her to the US....How do so many Thai's get to the US without marriage, money, land etc....they are here!!! If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I appreciate all of your ideas and comments....thanks again...

• 3 months later...

Might be in a somewhat similkar situation,. except that maybe my Mom, an established massage therapist (has NBA players as clients) might bring my Thai wife over on a work visa.

I'm justs tarting to do research here. Anyone have any input? We haven't started the marriage visa yet, and would take a long time if we did. How long will a work visa take to obtain?

Unfortunately, my wife isn't an expert massuese, although her sister is... she is an expert at running restaurants. She can go through Wat Po, though - no problem - and is physically strong so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Her sister is quite good, so that skill prolly runs in the family.

No way of getting a tourist visa in this case. We also have a baby son and are registered as married at the local amphur, although not in the States.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what people think. Thanks!

Might be in a somewhat similkar situation,.  except that maybe my Mom,  an established massage therapist (has NBA players as clients) might bring my Thai wife over on a work visa. 

I'm justs tarting to do research here.  Anyone have any input?  We haven't started the marriage visa yet,  and would take a long time if we did.  How long will a work visa take to obtain? 

Unfortunately,  my wife isn't an expert massuese,  although her sister is...  she is an expert at running restaurants.  She can go through Wat Po,  though - no problem - and is physically strong so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Her sister is quite good,  so that skill prolly runs in the family. 

No way of getting a tourist visa in this case.  We also have a baby son and are registered as married at the local amphur,  although not in the States. 

Anyway,  I'd be interested to hear what people think.  Thanks!

Newsflash. You are married in the world if you are married at a District Office in Thailand. And the word still includes the old USA.