Home Server ?

sulasno

Yes sure... What is the spec of the laptop?

But I would anyway start with a desktop version of ubuntu because the server edition has lots of stuff that the server edition doesn't.... Haven't checked the latest versions but they used to lack graphical user interface so you are stuck with command line. If that is a problem use the desktop edition.

You can then add stuff you want to get is to become the home server you need...

Otherwise there are other projects FreeNAS is one, ut I have no experience more than a quick look a couple of years ago......

Martin

Do you mean host a test web server - or host something that you want the world to connect to...

Just for a test server - or even just for something to let you share photos/videos with family - i.e. a relatively small number of users - then yes, it will be fine.

If you're wanting to host a website for general users, you'll have issues, depending on what you're serving up (static pages, or dynamically generated pages - with/without graphics), but in that case your bigger issue is likely to be your internet upload speed being a limiting factor.

Do you have a static ip address (non-issue if it's just for a test/internal server). If not, then you'll need to use one of the dynamic IP address supporting sites such as dyndns, but allow for the fact you'll have some downtime every day when your IP address changes.

Do I need a router ?

CPU is 1.4 with 1GB RAM

would I be able to host my domain ?

Yes it can handle things fine...

please for private domain hosting I started off a little here...

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3924505

Martin

Ongoing work on this is here http://home.siamect.com/computing/node/44

Martin

He Martin,

That is a extremely helpful website from you...

Cool

are you never planning to take the laptop out of the house with you? it strikes me as odd to use a notebook as a dedicated server, your webserver (and possibly email server) will not be accessible if you take the laptop elsewhere. much better to use a crappy old desktop machine for the purpose, IMHO. just a thought.

k

You need to open port 80 on your router.

You need to open port 80 on your firewall. Incoming port 80 is usually blocked.

You need to point incoming port 80 to the TCP/IP of your laptop (like 192.168.1.45)

called NAT (network address translation).

If you do not have a private router it unlikely that you can host your own web site.

You need a name server and a name.

If you have a registered domain name you just point it at your current TCP/IP

which may change from session to session.

http://www.ip-adress.com/ will tell you what is your current TCP/IP like 208.123.187.252

A good solution is to register free with dyndns.org

where you can choose a name like henry.helpme.info (nothing fancy).

It also comes with a program which will tell dyndns.org what is your TCP/IP.

Some routers come with this facility built in like Zyxel.

To access your own hosted web site from your own machine

your router needs reverse NAT, that is the ability

to translate TCP/IP both incoming and outgoing (Dlink does not).

Hosting your own web site opens you to attack from China.

There are script kiddies employed by the government to find open port 80's and conduct mischief.

Personally I had a number of obscure viruses which were difficult to get rid of.

I traced down my attacker and found that the Chinese ISP had a complaints service

but they required more details than I had available.

Apache is not too bad but PHP by default has many open doors which you need to close.

If you run PHP add the line:-

disable_functions = exec,passthru,shell_exec,system,proc_open,popen,curl_exec,curl_multi_exec,parse_ni_file,show_source

to your php.ini file.

I found out about this too late.

Good luck but other than a bit of fun I don't know why you would want to do this.

The cost of running a PC 24/7 exceeds the cost of professional web hosting.

It really only makes sense if you are going to host a number of web sites.

• 2 months later...

are you never planning to take the laptop out of the house with you? it strikes me as odd to use a notebook as a dedicated server, your webserver (and possibly email server) will not be accessible if you take the laptop elsewhere. much better to use a crappy old desktop machine for the purpose, IMHO. just a thought.

k

Yes I wonder as well. Portable webserver? Sounds dodgy.