24 Hour Reporting

Now that I know that this 24 hour reporting is required, how do I do it.

As of now I stay at my in-laws house in the boonies and they would have no idea bout this or what to do. I don't really care until it is time for me to need a visa extension. At that time I figure I should be all nice and proper.

Whom am i supposed to report to? And do I need a letter of acknowledgment from that authority to show to immigration when I apply for an extension? Immigration is 100 km away from their house.:jap:

Officially the owner of the house has to report your stay to immirgation or just at the local police station. Immirgation has forms for this that can be downloaded. You as a foreigner has to repot your stay to immigration (you can't do it to the police), this form can also be downloaded from immigration.

Both requiremends are not enforced at most immigration offices.

Officially the owner of the house has to report your stay to immirgation or just at the local police station. Immirgation has forms for this that can be downloaded. You as a foreigner has to repot your stay to immigration (you can't do it to the police), this form can also be downloaded from immigration.

..the OP would already have informed Immigration of his intended address in Thailand on his his Arrival Card..no need to inform them again unless he moves to a private residence (so as he can be contacted by Immigration or his Embassy).

Commercial accommodation ventures such as hotels and guesthouses complete a return for Immigration of Passport information re guests.

In the case of the OP, the onus is on the private property owner to notify Immigration that he is staying there.

I would like to read a report of a house owner actually trying to do this at a local upcountry police station.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling it would be difficult to explain to them what it is about, and especially if it is a matter of the foreign son in law just staying for a week or so, they would probably mai pen rai, mai mee panha you out of the door, because they don't feel like doing extra paperwork of a kind that is also unfamiliar to them.

I'v never reported my address within 24 hours. When I arrived in Thailand (Multi Non O visa), I lived in a hotel for 5 months while my house was being built. The hotel owner may have done itbut I doubt it. When I moved into the house, my wife didn't notify the police or immigration either. The first time immigration knew my new address (apart from the hotel address on my arrival card) was 4 months after arrival when I applied for residence certificate so I could get a thai car & motorbike licence. Now I am on a 1 year extension of stay so I report my address every 90 days, and my failure to report within 24 hours has never been mentioned.

Edited by mxyzptlk

I'v never reported my address within 24 hours. When I arrived in Thailand (Multi Non O visa), I lived in a hotel for 5 months while my house was being built. The hotel owner may have done itbut I doubt it. When I moved into the house, my wife didn't notify the police or immigration either. The first time immigration knew my new address (apart from the hotel address on my arrival card) was 4 months after arrival when I applied for residence certificate so I could get a thai car & motorbike licence. Now I am on a 1 year extension of stay so I report my address every 90 days, and my failure to report within 24 hours has never been mentioned.

:o

Yea. If it is necessary for a Thai home owner to report a foriegner staying with them within 24 hours of that person's arrival then from my experience, even in Bangkok, the police or immigration just don't seem to want to know about it.

I now routinely stay with my Thai girlfriend and her family in a house in Bangkok. I've read about the requirement for a foriegner to notify the immigration or police within 24 hours after my arrival in that house. From my experience, no one ...either at the immigration or the police seems to know who we should report the fact to...or much care whether we do it or not. So far all I've had when trying to report my presence is massive disinterest from all the authorities who might be possibly concerned. Most of them don't even know what we are talking about.

:lol: