Looking For A Day Trek From Chiang Mai

junglechef

Want to go for a non-tourist trek. Are there any paths that I could hike, we are very fit and adventurous. I have a car and don't mind a few hours of driving. Would consider a private guide or even a group but no elephant rides, orchid gardens etc. Just don't know where to go.

Hey Junglechef good to see you're still with us.

What you want to be careful of is someone selling you a trek to a 'non tourist area.

The only non tourist area these days are the malls.

If you don't find what you are looking for, stop by and I will see if we can give you a hand.

Gonzo

My pal and I are off to Huay Tung Tao lake, to do the waterfall walk tomorrow (Monday morning)

(hopefully we will find the waterfall this time, taking my satnav, the turnoff to the waterfall isn't obvious so sometimes it's just a mountain walk near a lake)

Let me know if you want to come, about 2 hours walk, then a swim at the lake and maybe something to eat before we come back.

Meeting at Top North Guest House at 10:30 am (MoonMuang Soi 2)

Takes about 30 minutes to drive there.

Let me know if you want to come, costs 20bht each to get into the park!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Huay Tung Tao is a nice 4 km walk around the lake, but it's a "bit" crowded at times, and especially on weekends.

A bit more of a hike is up the trail along the creek coming down from Doi Suthep. Start at the top or start at the bottom. Your choice. It's about 9 km of mostly trail, but with a bit of walking along the road. You can make it as long or as short as your energy allows you. The trail at the bottom starts behind the market just after the zoo at the bottom of the hill. Or, you can start part way up the trail at the second big corner about 2 km up the road to Doi Suthep.

Doi_Suthep_trail_042.jpg

Sai_Yoi_waterfall_2.jpg

View from the top after you've climbed 900 vertical meters.

Doi_Suthep_061.jpg

Huay Tung Tao is a nice 4 km walk around the lake, but it's a "bit" crowded at times, and especially on weekends.

I've never seen anybody else walking up the trails above the road!

But I did see a very big snake last time I went.

Edited by sarahsbloke

My pal and I are off to Huay Tung Tao lake, to do the waterfall walk tomorrow (Monday morning)

(hopefully we will find the waterfall this time, taking my satnav, the turnoff to the waterfall isn't obvious so sometimes it's just a mountain walk near a lake)

Let me know if you want to come, about 2 hours walk, then a swim at the lake and maybe something to eat before we come back.

Meeting at Top North Guest House at 10:30 am (MoonMuang Soi 2)

Takes about 30 minutes to drive there.

Let me know if you want to come, costs 20bht each to get into the park!

Thanks for the offer but I'm not able to go this time. It is a lovely place that I often visit (the lake). I'm looking for suggestions for when my cousin comes. we are looking for something that is a bit more of a all day deep jungle trek. You know anywhere that would challenge and excite us?

Edited by junglechef

Hey Junglechef good to see you're still with us.

What you want to be careful of is someone selling you a trek to a 'non tourist area.

The only non tourist area these days are the malls.

If you don't find what you are looking for, stop by and I will see if we can give you a hand.

Gonzo

thanks and I love your quote at the end of your post!

I've never seen anybody else walking up the trails above the road!

But I did see a very big snake last time I went.

snakes, now we're talking!!

A bit more of a hike is up the trail along the creek coming down from Doi Suthep. Start at the top or start at the bottom. Your choice. It's about 9 km of mostly trail, but with a bit of walking along the road. You can make it as long or as short as your energy allows you. The trail at the bottom starts behind the market just after the zoo at the bottom of the hill. Or, you can start part way up the trail at the second big corner about 2 km up the road to Doi Suthep.

Doi_Suthep_trail_042.jpg

Sai_Yoi_waterfall_2.jpg

View from the top after you've climbed 900 vertical meters.

Doi_Suthep_061.jpg

Thanks for the detailed suggestion, looks great, I'll have to try it

Non tourist trek: Just rent a bike or jeep and drive up mountains. Almost doesn't matter where.. Chiang Dao area, Mae Khachan near Trekker's Lodge, Doi Wawi, etc.

have a 4x4 so think I'll grab my machete and go for an old school jungle adventure

Dtan.jpg

Todays planned route up to Dtaat Mook Waterfall, near Huay Tung Tao lake, 6.15 miles round trip.

trip.jpg

wow, looks pretty cool, more than I thought w/your original description. would love to join you on another of your outings, thanks for the map etc. J

Better to be in the Chiang Mai forum - moved

I'm new member and also not great w/computers (but learning on my own curve which is a very gradual on but at least usually uphill)

Did I put it in Thailand Forum? I meant to put it in CM, did you move it for me?

Thanks if you did

J

We found Dtaat Mook waterfall, the upper path was completely overgrown, all the trail marker posts have been torn out all the way up. I could never have found this without satnav. We really needed machetes to get through the jungle.

The waterfalls were very impressive, much higher than the Montathon falls Ians photos show. My pal posing!. Round trip took about 3 hours.

DtaatMook1.jpg

DtaatMook2.jpg

Edited by sarahsbloke

Thanks for posting that, Sarahsbloke. It's another place for me to explore when I get back to Chiang Mai in November. I love all the butterflies in the Thai forests.

Butterfly_2.sized.jpg

Butterfly_6.sized.jpg

Butterfly_3_001.sized.jpg

And you never know what kind of birds you might see

Kingfisher_1.sized.jpg

Even the snakes are beautiful...

Cobra_026.sized.jpg