Converting A Litre Of Rice To Grams/Kilos

CaptainSplod

Rice grains vary widely. Mostly they weight 20-30 mg, although experimental breeding has produced them as large as 78 mg

conversion tool

http://www.peters1.d...on.php?sprog=en

32836787.jpg

Volume versus weight conversions for rice

Calculator to convert all rice types; long and round short Jasmine rice, Basmati rice and rice flour, weight amounts versus dry volume in grams g, cups, ounces oz, pounds lb, quarts qt, kilograms kg.

http://www.tradition..._converter.html

capture131.png

:lol:

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

I think it would also depend exactly on which jasmine rice you're measuring. Go to the markets and see barrels lined up with many different kinds of rice, often differentiated only by the moisture content. Higher moisture would mean great weight, although the same volume as a drier rice.

Hmm...yes, well - I suppose I DID rather expect some weird and exotic replies :ph34r: and this being TV, nobody (absolutely nobody!) has a reasonable kitchen scales, a liter of rice (jasmine, of course, and in any length or breadth) - and if they have, then there's no way they'd even bother to weigh the rice - would they?? :lol:

As for the baffling "US Cup" measurement - this must compare with teaspoon/tablespoon measurements. Unfortunately, tablespoons (and teaspoons) come in a variety of sizes - the smaller tablespoons are usually reserved for extremely distateful and ugly stuff, such as medicines, while the larger ones are always used for lovely sweets and treats! :whistling:

Now then, chaps - anyone have Thai wife, girfriend (or boyfriend, even) that could do the honours ? Oh, if you posess all three then you're obviously excused........

With all the rice that Thais eat, it must be the easiest thing in the world for them to do. :rolleyes:

Splod

Hmm...yes, well - I suppose I DID rather expect some weird and exotic replies :ph34r: and this being TV, nobody (absolutely nobody!) has a reasonable kitchen scales, a liter of rice (jasmine, of course, and in any length or breadth) - and if they have, then there's no way they'd even bother to weigh the rice - would they?? :lol:

As for the baffling "US Cup" measurement - this must compare with teaspoon/tablespoon measurements. Unfortunately, tablespoons (and teaspoons) come in a variety of sizes - the smaller tablespoons are usually reserved for extremely distateful and ugly stuff, such as medicines, while the larger ones are always used for lovely sweets and treats! :whistling:

Now then, chaps - anyone have Thai wife, girfriend (or boyfriend, even) that could do the honours ? Oh, if you posess all three then you're obviously excused........

With all the rice that Thais eat, it must be the easiest thing in the world for them to do. :rolleyes:

Splod

United States "legal" cup The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labeling is defined in United States law as 240 mL.[/url] 1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres

= 16 international tablespoons

= 12 Australian tablespoons

≈ 8.12 U.S. customary fluid ounces

≈ 8.45 imperial fluid ounces

Now I possess whats called a cook's dry measure as in the picture and a set of electronic scales. Now I filled the dry measure to the 250g (rice) mark and it equaled 220ml volume. I also then weighed the rice and it actually came to 254g so the dry measure was not a bad ball park figure. So that would indicate that a litre of rice would weigh around 1125g, give or take the variables which unfortunately in my case amounted to only having sushi rice available ! :jap:

post-7438-062803300 1286202717_thumb.jpg

Edited by roamer

A single grain of jasmine rice weighs 0.005g

Simply count the number of grains in your one litre measure and multiply by 0.005 - no scales necessary - easy peasy :)

no self respecting thai cook ever weighs his her rice. they put rice in a pot, and fill with water measured by placeing index finger on the top of the evened out rice in the pot. and the water should reach a bit above the joint. ive been making perfect rice that way for years. and yes, even in the hotel kitchen, i get asked to make the rice cause no matter how much we need to make at once, the ratio stays the same... thais also now what rices they are using; ive also learned for the varios rices u can look at the lenghth of the grain and also see how 'white' or opaque it is , and add water accordingly , a little bit more then above the first joint of the index finger for dryer rice needing more water...

moving to cooking asian food forum.

A single grain of jasmine rice weighs 0.005g

Simply count the number of grains in your one litre measure and multiply by 0.005 - no scales necessary - easy peasy :)

no self respecting thai cook ever weighs his her rice. they put rice in a pot, and fill with water measured by placeing index finger on the top of the evened out rice in the pot. and the water should reach a bit above the joint. ive been making perfect rice that way for years. and yes, even in the hotel kitchen, i get asked to make the rice cause no matter how much we need to make at once, the ratio stays the same... thais also now what rices they are using; ive also learned for the varios rices u can look at the lenghth of the grain and also see how 'white' or opaque it is , and add water accordingly , a little bit more then above the first joint of the index finger for dryer rice needing more water...

moving to cooking asian food forum.

How simplistic thinking to move this to the cooking forum emo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I've never bought rice by the liter in all the years I've been living in Thailand. Guess these people don't know its everywhere :D

And bina, I am afraid I was told by our cook that the knuckle measurement of rice cooking that I also use was "old fashioned" :(

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I've never bought rice by the liter in all the years I've been living in Thailand. Guess these people don't know its everywhere :D

And bina, I am afraid I was told by our cook that the knuckle measurement of rice cooking that I also use was "old fashioned" :(

Back home I never used a rice cooker... and always used the "knuckle method" .... since living in Thailand and having a rice cooker ..

I tend to use the scoop that came with it and the lines on the side ..3 scoop to 10 scoop's.....

The power went out here for a few day's a week or so ago,so I went back to the gas stove top pot and Knuckle Method...

After eating the same rice made in the rice cooker ..... the stove top knuckle rice, tasted much better and had a much better texture ....

Doe's anyone use the Knuckle measure in a rice cooker???.......

Buy a set of scales...problem solved. :)

why a set, why not just one kitchen scale ??

I think it comes from the old days when you had a balance along with a number of weights which had been calibrated. Actually they should be called a pair of scales.

Edited by tolsti

Technically, it is a set of scales. Tolsti was correct in that scales were of 2 parts, 1 part for the weights, the other part for the object being weighed. + the weights, which is why they are correctly a set.They still use sets of scales in some gold shops , today

• 3 weeks later...

I gave it a try and weighed one liter (measuring jug) of Pidgeon Brand Khao Hom Mali (jasmine rice) with the digital kitchen scale. Result: 864g

Because of the big discrepancy to roamer's result (1125g) I repeated the experiment with the same jug and the same scale on a a liter of water, which turned out to be 980g (not too bad an error; I'll blame the jug).

Now how these ~900g per liter in a radiator heated flat in central Europe (sorry, haven't got a hygrometer) translates to the specific weight of rice in SEA, I don't know.

The knuckles method I use with the rice cooker is to flatten the rice, stick the digit finger to the very bottom, mark the rice level with the thumb, move the point of the index finger to the rice surface level and fill with water up to the thumb. Works nicely with the small rice cooker, but I don't know how this 'double volume' rule scales to big volumes.