Live Pig Prices

kiera

Depends what market segment, but assume 54 baht live weight as a start.

I live about 40 kilometers south of Udon Thani and I had a buyer offer me 48 baht a kilo as I have 14 to sell. This was a worry when I first started out and this is the first batch and we are being told that today the current live weight of pigs is 50baht per kilo. I was assured that there are plenty of buyers in the area offering the full price however as we are new to the game we know only of very few.

Does anyone in the Udon area know of any pig buyers who offer a fair price and would buy 14?

Is this buyer taking the micky or is this what to expect when selling 14.

Any advice welcome.

I live about 40 kilometers south of Udon Thani and I had a buyer offer me 48 baht a kilo as I have 14 to sell. This was a worry when I first started out and this is the first batch and we are being told that today the current live weight of pigs is 50baht per kilo. I was assured that there are plenty of buyers in the area offering the full price however as we are new to the game we know only of very few.

Does anyone in the Udon area know of any pig buyers who offer a fair price and would buy 14?

Any advice welcome.

If you really need to sell, best take whats offered by the person you have 'on the spot' Delays in selling can quickly become very costly 2 bt a kilo difference on a hundred kilo pig is 200 baht, it won't take very long for each of your pigs to 'eat' that 200 baht difference and in the long term much more.

In my experience, all 'local' dealers want them for less than market price.

I am often 'amazed' at the number of people who will grow a batch of pigs on without any idea of where their market is. As said above, this can become very costly and is the principal reason many people come 'unstuck' & lose. A case of putting the cart before the horse!

During the last year 'on the hoof' prices shot up into the mid sixties, a bumper time for all concerned in the pig business; ok, we are now back down to a more realistic level, but are still ahead based on prices for the same period of last year.

Any advice welcome.

If you really need to sell, best take whats offered by the person you have 'on the spot' Delays in selling can quickly become very costly 2 bt a kilo difference on a hundred kilo pig is 200 baht, it won't take very long for each of your pigs to 'eat' that 200 baht difference and in the long term much more.

In my experience, all 'local' dealers want them for less than market price.

I am often 'amazed' at the number of people who will grow a batch of pigs on without any idea of where their market is. As said above, this can become very costly and is the principal reason many people come 'unstuck' & lose. A case of putting the cart before the horse!

During the last year 'on the hoof' prices shot up into the mid sixties, a bumper time for all concerned in the pig business; ok, we are now back down to a more realistic level, but are still ahead based on prices for the same period of last year.

Agreed however I do believe he was trying it on and is coming back this evening and taking all 14 at 50baht a kilo.

I know a farrang farmer and my mother outlaw have many buyer connections who will come and take 2 at a time but I want rid at once and start again on food mix and cut our costs for the situation.

I agree with what you are saying but next time he will come to us with the correct price and hopefully we will look and smell less naive.

IMHO I believe that this "shock" to the prices was no different to any over inflated market correction such as the financial mess we endured in 2008, it had to happen. The price of pork simply got too high and the pork market started to suffer. Whats happening now is like the New Year sales all department stores have to clear stock. RBH has made some very good points over the last week about the way the market is controlled and hopefully he is right about the price early next year. Personally I think there will be a slight improvement after the panic sales are over. I think around 55 baht mark is the right level.

When I first got involved the price was below 50 baht and the small holding farmer was just surviving with high feed prices. Recent announcements on potential increases in corn and soy prices in the US and the fact that China will be importing much more feed grains this year leads me to believe that feed prices will rise soon. That to me is the potential threat we face medium term and not the gross margin on this and the next few batches of market pigs.

As Fruity pointed out the 65 baht figure was a bonanza and for me allowed a maximum return on over-investment and poor decision making. My mid-course corrections are over and the stock that I have for sale will go at whatever the prevailing rate is or for whatever value add I can muster above those prices. One thing that has been drilled into me over the last two years, is that keeping stock until the price improves or the litter size increases is folly. Fruity rightly points out, if the pigs are ready for sale, then sell, now, and realise that most of our mistakes are in the lack of market knowledge.

As ever I bow to the more experienced posters such as RBH and Fruity, and advise other new chums to listen to them closely its solid advice. As much as I am enjoying my pigs and the farming, it is a business, a marginal and highly seasonal business that is affected by vested interests and the consumers pocket, it needs to be managed as well as possible.

Good Luck to us all, we will need our fair share

Isaan Aussie

IMHO I believe that this "shock" to the prices was no different to any over inflated market correction such as the financial mess we endured in 2008, it had to happen. The price of pork simply got too high and the pork market started to suffer. Whats happening now is like the New Year sales all department stores have to clear stock. RBH has made some very good points over the last week about the way the market is controlled and hopefully he is right about the price early next year. Personally I think there will be a slight improvement after the panic sales are over. I think around 55 baht mark is the right level.

When I first got involved the price was below 50 baht and the small holding farmer was just surviving with high feed prices. Recent announcements on potential increases in corn and soy prices in the US and the fact that China will be importing much more feed grains this year leads me to believe that feed prices will rise soon. That to me is the potential threat we face medium term and not the gross margin on this and the next few batches of market pigs.

As Fruity pointed out the 65 baht figure was a bonanza and for me allowed a maximum return on over-investment and poor decision making. My mid-course corrections are over and the stock that I have for sale will go at whatever the prevailing rate is or for whatever value add I can muster above those prices. One thing that has been drilled into me over the last two years, is that keeping stock until the price improves or the litter size increases is folly. Fruity rightly points out, if the pigs are ready for sale, then sell, now, and realise that most of our mistakes are in the lack of market knowledge.

As ever I bow to the more experienced posters such as RBH and Fruity, and advise other new chums to listen to them closely its solid advice. As much as I am enjoying my pigs and the farming, it is a business, a marginal and highly seasonal business that is affected by vested interests and the consumers pocket, it needs to be managed as well as possible.

Good Luck to us all, we will need our fair share

Isaan Aussie

Excellent reply I.Aussie. Yesterday, a local dealer called in to order some piglets. Enquiring, he told me that he is currently paying 53 baht/ kilo for finished pigs.

Yesterday I checked in town and was told the live price near me is 56 for good pigs. Strangely the pork price is still 130 baht in the hot market and 115 in Tescos. Then who takes a government decree here seriously? If you believe anybody it has to be CPF, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Villagers here use ram (12% protein) to mix with feed and water, but ram's shelf life is only 20 days, protein level will drop as the days goes by. Best to buy what you can use in 3 days because you might not know how long the sacks of ram have been sitting in the mill, they always say it new even when it old.

IA with feed prices rising, will duck weed be an option?

Glomp,

If memory serves me correctly, Fruity's form of duckweed is a much large plant. The stuff I have talked about will fit on your thumbnail and divides as it grows. I will try to find the data I have but I am sure that it is much higher than 2% protein. But as Fruity suggests, anything that is not part of a balanced diet should be used sparingly or as a treat.

I am relooking at the Vietnamese diets made from sweet potatoes, vines and roots for a partial replacement. Another option is cassava leave and root meals. I lean towards SP because it is only a three month growing season. I hope to use rice paddy to grow some as soon after harvest as I can get the tractor onto the land. With any of these crops there is a considerable amount of work involved and the always present fear of microbe issues causes spoilage.

Isaan Aussie

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom of Page

http://www.dit.go.th.../image/hi_2.pdf

It is updated semi regularly

I have a little time on my hands this morning and remembered this old thread.

Here is a link to the thai dit.go that is updated daily. You don't need to speak Thai just remember its third from the bottom.

http://www.dit.go.th/contentdetail.asp?TypeID=4&catid=109&id=192