The Red & Green Spots

uptheos

It would appear that the red and green votes are quite important to a lot of TV forum posters....nothing wrong with that.

I can see the idea behind it, but it simply does not work.

If people are indiscriminate when they vote red or green, then it becomes quite silly.

Whether you have a good reputation or a bad reputation, because someone and his/her mates decide to go for you, really means your reputation is also meaningless, good or bad.

I think it could be useful, if it were restricted to just one red and one green vote per day. That way I think people might want to use their vote wisely and think about it, rather than just throwing them around without good reason.

Wipe the slate clean and start with one vote of each colour only is my suggestion.

Mods, this is just a suggestion......please see this post in the positive light it is meant, not a criticism of TV. smile.gif

• Like 1

I'm all confused now, there's three threads running with greens and reds.

regards

bojo

Aah, but this one makes a suggestion.

I also made a suggestion. I want all of us to have the option to permanently turn OFF the feature for ourselves only. Meaning, O points forever, no power to give or get reds or greens, and now that I think about it, it would also be good to make that decision make other people's rep numbers INVISIBLE to us. That's what I want and I know lots of other people (though a minority) want that too. To allow a minority the FREE CHOICE to opt out of this toxic feature does not spoil it for the majority who still wants to play schoolyard games. Oh boy, teacher gave me a brownie point! Yippee!

The flaw with your idea is that just one nasty stalker could give you one red a day, over 300 a year. Same mess, different scale.

If someone went to the trouble to do that then they seriously need help!

regards

bojo

Let me clear upyour confusion. ThaiVisa is lamenting the fact that there are no deadly riots at present and consequently post counts are down. Still, there was an influx ofmembers from the riots and they seem to be of a caliber that wishes to talk about this stupid new forum feature endlessly. ThaiVisa seems willing topander to this lowest common denominator of poster if it keeps their post count up. I await the succesor to this once high quality forum.

Personally I think this green and red thing could affect the flow of the forum. I do hope it runs out of steam and is not hijacked by those who prefer not to treat the forum as it was originally intended to be.

It's a gimmick, great for those who want to play games, however, I must say, that, in the right hands it can be used to commend a post or poster as has been mentioned in a similar thread tonight.

Unfortunately, I suspect to the contrary.

Lets see how it pans out, maybe I will be proved wrong, maybe I can ignore it.

regards

Bojo

This green and red thing takes criticism, favouritism and opinion one step beyond, could almost be called tribalism (facebookers, you know who you are) averting from the issue at hand- great debate, knowledge and an insight to alternative views other than one's own.

Maybe I'm too serious for TV but I preferred it as it was.

regards

Bojo

This green and red thing takes criticism, favouritism and opinion one step beyond, could almost be called tribalism (facebookers, you know who you are) averting from the issue at hand- great debate, knowledge and an insight to alternative views other than one's own.

Maybe I'm too serious for TV but I preferred it as it was.

regards

Bojo

You betcha!

regards

bojo

I also made a suggestion. I want all of us to have the option to permanently turn OFF the feature for ourselves only. Meaning, O points forever, no power to give or get reds or greens, and now that I think about it, it would also be good to make that decision make other people's rep numbers INVISIBLE to us. That's what I want and I know lots of other people (though a minority) want that too. To allow a minority the FREE CHOICE to opt out of this toxic feature does not spoil it for the majority who still wants to play schoolyard games. Oh boy, teacher gave me a brownie point! Yippee!

The flaw with your idea is that just one nasty stalker could give you one red a day, over 300 a year. Same mess, different scale.

In its current form, what exactly is the usefulness of it anyway?

If someone went to the trouble to do that then they seriously need help!

I have one of those types haunting me. However, after I mentioned it in a post and he denied it, he actually took one day off. :lol:

Excuse me for being dumb, but i don't see how to vote people's reputation down. I see a plus sign in a green circle at the bottom right of each post to allow me to vote it up, but where is the red down option?

It is usually beside the green one. It looks like they turned it off to keep Jingthing from reaching 1,000 reds. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

ThaiVisa seems willing topander to this lowest common denominator of poster if it keeps their post count up

I await the successor to this once high quality forum.

It is not new but I have been enjoying paknam's lately.

This green and red thing takes criticism, favouritism and opinion one step beyond, could almost be called tribalism

Could also be called name & shame since folks so called "Reputation" can be termed Poor or worse?....Like the recent thread someone started in General....

Something about who has the most reds? or was it greens? Anyway.. I saw how folks were posting pics ofprofiles which seems exactly like a name & shame. I did not see any delete it. So I take it that this is all basic sensationalism much like Lannarebirth described.

Dont know which is worse...The ones taunting for reds or the ones grovelling for greens...Although the grovelers always have to post an extra post to K.A with the usual..."I gave you a greenie" all in the hopes of getting one.

Lordy it is TV's own pocket protector gang.

Edited by flying

Excuse me for being dumb, but i don't see how to vote people's reputation down. I see a plus sign in a green circle at the bottom right of each post to allow me to vote it up, but where is the red down option?

It is usually beside the green one. It looks like they turned it off to keep Jingthing from reaching 1,000 reds. :o

Ahh - thank you. That'll stop me hunting for something I can never find!

• Like 1

I think they should have kept the red and removed the green.

Then they could give you (automatically) .1 rep points for every post you make that doesn't get a red and a full 1 point deduction every time you do.

If you can stay in the green you are probably not a twit.

ThaiVisa seems willing topander to this lowest common denominator of poster if it keeps their post count up

I await the successor to this once high quality forum.

It is not new but I have been enjoying paknam's lately.

This green and red thing takes criticism, favouritism and opinion one step beyond, could almost be called tribalism

Could also be called name & shame since folks so called "Reputation" can be termed Poor or worse?....Like the recent thread someone started in General....

Something about who has the most reds? or was it greens? Anyway.. I saw how folks were posting pics ofprofiles which seems exactly like a name & shame. I did not see any delete it. So I take it that this is all basic sensationalism much like Lannarebirth described.

Dont know which is worse...The ones taunting for reds or the ones grovelling for greens...Although the grovelers always have to post an extra post to K.A with the usual..."I gave you a greenie" all in the hopes of getting one.

Lordy it is TV's own pocket protector gang.

Well, they need something to boost their esteem, even if they have to 'buy a vote'.

Then they could give you (automatically) .1 rep points for every post you make that doesn't get a red and a full 1 point deduction every time you do.

Why is it important to have a good or bad reputation on a forum of mainly anonymous people?

There are a lot of posters here that are in the red and they are certainly not twits, they are more often than not people who are not afraid to speak their mind.

Why is it important to have a good or bad reputation on a forum of mainly anonymous people?

There are a lot of posters here that are in the red and they are certainly not twits, they are more often than not people who are not afraid to speak their mind.

Speaking your mind is not the same as having something intelligent to say.

My system is to give out reds for stupidity and greens for wisdom.

I don't give out greens for people who are just giving out PC soundbites; But I believe this where the majority of greens come from. That is why I suggest getting rid of the greens.

But if all of this red green stuff disappeared tomorrow that would be good too. It is an interesting social experiment, but we already know that for the most part that humans are very disappointing and generally sink to the level of the lowest common denominator.

I take it that this is all basic sensationalism....

Basement sensationalism, actually.

I suppose that I can turn off the thing, more or less, in two ways. Although confusingly worded, it seems (if red bullets are restored) that I can prevent (in my personal profile) others from posting them without my permission. Also, I can stop others from seeing them, at least in detail (don't know about summary result). Have no idea how (if) these functions work on the summary judgment.

I suppose that the thought was to calm us down, that those flamers with "poor" reputations would moderate their communication style. It may not be working, if some posters are in such pain that they find postings and others wrong all the time.

One of the great things about Thailand is that there are no pantyhose.:offtopic2:

I hear what the OP and others are saying and we have been discussing this in the moderators forum.

George has now got rid of the red (negative post) spots.

We'll have to wait to see what happens with the green ones.

TP

Reason for edit: smelling pisstake

regards

bojo

In its current form, what exactly is the usefulness of it anyway?

Forgive me but l am missing something. What are we talking about red and green voting. Could you explain to me

I don't give out greens for people who are just giving out PC soundbites; But I believe this where the majority of greens come from. That is why I suggest getting rid of the greens.

But if all of this red green stuff disappeared tomorrow that would be good too. It is an interesting social experiment, but we already know that for the most part that humans are very disappointing and generally sink to the level of the lowest common denominator.

True, but speaking one's mind can be intelligent too.

However, if it doesn't please the person (or organisation) it's aimed at, then along come all the buddies like lemmings and their unintelligent rebuttal is accompanied by a sea of red. These people too will claim they are giving out reds for stupidity and greens for wisdom......as if they have any idea of the difference between the two.

People are flawed..........Period !!