Thailand Extends Emergency Rule In Bangkok For Three Months

webfact

Thailand extends emergency rule in Bangkok for three months

BANGKOK, October 5, 2010 (AFP) - The Thai government said Tuesday it was extending a state of emergency in Bangkok and three surrounding provinces for three more months, in the wake of deadly street protests in April and May.

The state of emergency was prolonged "in four provinces including Bangkok," deputy government spokesman Suphachai Jaismut told AFP.

The controversial decree was introduced in the capital in early April in response to mass anti-government rallies by the "Red Shirt" movement that ultimately left 91 people dead as protesters and the army clashed.

The laws ban public gatherings of more than five people and give security forces the right to detain suspects for 30 days without charge.

The government has stepped up security again following a string of grenade attacks in Bangkok, including a blast at a bus stop in July that killed a man.

The Red Shirts deny any involvement in the explosions and have accused the government of a conspiracy to justify tougher security powers.

The decision to extend the decree was taken in the absence of Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who left his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban in charge while he attends an Asia-Europe summit in Brussels this week.

The Thai government has come under pressure from the United States and rights groups to roll back the emergency powers to help the country recover from civil violence that has left it deeply divided.

The two-month rally by the Reds, many of whom back fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, attracted up to 100,000 people demanding immediate elections, but was broken up by an army crackdown on May 19.

After the crackdown, enraged protesters set dozens of major buildings ablaze in the heart of Bangkok, including a shopping mall and the stock exchange.

Authorities have used their emergency powers to arrest hundreds of suspects and silence anti-government media.

Rights group Amnesty International said last week the rules "flout international human rights law and standards".

"As a result, the extraordinary powers they grant to curtail human rights have often been abused to block the expression of peaceful dissenting views," it said.

The cabinet also appointed Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon as head of the government unit which oversees the use of the emergency rules, replacing deputy premier Suthep, who is resigning to run for parliament.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-05

Cabinet Extends Emergency Decree in Bkk

Cabinet has approved the extension of the State of Emergency law in four remaining provinces for another three months.

The areas include Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samutprakarn, and Patumthani provinces.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-05

footer_n.gif

Thailand must cease invoking the Emergency Decree and the Internal Security Act, as they flout international human rights law and standards, Amnesty International said on Thursday.

Amnesty International called on the government of Thailand not to renew the Emergency Decree in Bangkok and the six other non-southern provinces where it is in effect, and to either repeal the Decree and the ISA or bring them into compliance with international law and standards.

This military backed government is obviously not capable of running this country without suppressing the basic human rights.

Cabinet extends emergency decree for Bangkok and 3 central provinces

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet on Tuesday resolved to maintain the emergency decree due to expire this Wednesday by three more months for Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakarn and Pathum Thani, according to deputy government spokesman Suphachai Chaisamut.

In addition, the cabinet also acknowledged the appointments of Defence Minister Pawit Wongsuwon as head of the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) and Army chief Prayud Chan-ocha as chief operation of the CRES.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-05

This military backed government is obviously not capable of running this country without suppressing the basic human rights.

How does the State of Emergency affect your Human Rights? I have not noticed any difference in my day-to-day life since the decree was put in place, the only difference i have seen is a few extra soldiers hanging around... and considering the regular bomb reports, that actually makes me feel a little safer.

Thai Cabinet extends state of emergency in Bangkok, 3 adjacent provinces

BANGKOK, Oct 5 - The Thai Cabinet on Tuesday extended the state of emergency imposed in Bangkok and its three adjacent provinces since April for another three months, to maintain law and order following reports of continuing disturbances in the areas.

Deputy government spokesman Supachai Jaisamut said the emergency decree is extended in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani as proposed by the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) although the overall situation there remains calm.

A Thai News Agency reporter said the CRES document submitted to the Cabinet indicated that there are continued politically symbolic gatherings of the anti-government 'Red Shirt' United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) in the Thai capital and the three adjacent provinces, while Bangkok also remains targeted for disturbances.

The report said the three provinces adjacent to Bangkok are also strongholds of the Red Shirt supporters who usually gather in the areas and can easily join the group’s activities in the capital.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva last week lifted the state of emergency in three northeastern provinces of Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima and Udon Thani.

The emergency decree enforcement is scheduled to end October 6, after it has been extended several times to facilitate operation of security agencies to maintain law and order.

The security law extension came in the wake of planned demonstrations of varied political factions as October is a month when many of Thailand's historically significant political activities occurred.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet appointed Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan as new CRES director, replacing the outgoing Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban.

Mr Suthep planned to resign as deputy premier and CRES director before Friday (October 8), the last day for registration by candidates in the Surat Thani Constituency 1 by-election.

The by-election will be held on October 30 to choose a replacement for former Democrat MP Chumphon Kanchana who faced a five-year ban from politics for submitting a false assets statement. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-05

How does the State of Emergency affect your Human Rights? I have not noticed any difference in my day-to-day life since the decree was put in place, the only difference i have seen is a few extra soldiers hanging around... and considering the regular bomb reports, that actually makes me feel a little safer.

I agree. It doesn't affect any of us. If this were not in place and the terrorists started causing problems people would be critical of the government for not imposing a state of emergency. Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

It infringes on the rights of those who wish to block streets, throw grenades, burn down shops and take over the government.

(Also the gentleman who is living in Montenegro on the multi-billion baht fortune made while serving the people in a democratic government)

Thailand must cease invoking the Emergency Decree and the Internal Security Act, as they flout international human rights law and standards, Amnesty International said on Thursday.

Amnesty International called on the government of Thailand not to renew the Emergency Decree in Bangkok and the six other non-southern provinces where it is in effect, and to either repeal the Decree and the ISA or bring them into compliance with international law and standards.

I am glad that they will continue the decree. I am not sure what the reasons are for all these explosions are, but for sure that is a good reason to continue the emergency decree. I guess the government opposition have no one to blame except themselves if they are causing these problems

I didn't realise being allowed to have armed protests was a basic human right.