Grits

richard10365

What are Grits?

Please, before anyone starts, I've never heard of them before! I'm presuming because you ask for anyone to look in Rimping whilst they are there that they are some form of western imported food?

The other reason I had to ask is that where I'm from Grit is used on the roads in winter to melt the ice and it's obviously nothing to do with that .... is it?

Grit WIki

white corn porridge like dish originated by American Indians. Popular in the Southern USA

Hey, thanks for that! I've learnt something new today and not many people can say that!

Think I'd be quite keen to try this myself, sounds pretty good. I'll keep an eye out, although unless the packaging is very obviously stated I may not have a clue lol.

Thanks again for the info and quick response!

Grit WIki

white corn porridge like dish originated by American Indians. Popular in the Southern USA

Hey, thanks for that! I've learnt something new today and not many people can say that!

Think I'd be quite keen to try this myself, sounds pretty good. I'll keep an eye out, although unless the packaging is very obviously stated I may not have a clue lol.

Thanks again for the info and quick response!

My thanks also. What department would one look in for grits?:unsure:

You can have my share.:bah:

I always wondered....

The poor cook he caught the fits

And threw away all my grits

And then he took and he ate up all of my corn

Let me go home

Why don't they let me go home

This is the worst trip I've ever been on

Sloop John B - Beach Boys 1968, from a traditional West Indies folk song, "The John B. Sails"

...but not enough to look it up until now ;)

What are Grits?

Please, before anyone starts, I've never heard of them before! I'm presuming because you ask for anyone to look in Rimping whilst they are there that they are some form of western imported food?

The other reason I had to ask is that where I'm from Grit is used on the roads in winter to melt the ice and it's obviously nothing to do with that .... is it?

The type of grits you're familiar with and the type the OP is looking for can be used interchangably I believe. Not terribly dissimilar.

Edited by lannarebirth

When I was in Florida, went to a Denny's for a fry up. ..as I had never had Grits before I thought that I should try them

Wish I hadn't :bah:

Bit like the Welsh eating seaweed for breakfast..they call it lava bread..why, I have no idea :rolleyes:

But on the other hand you Americans might cringe at the thought of eating Black Pudding..dried pigs blood..a must have with a real English fry up.

Suppose it takes all sorts and all tastes...its what you're raised on I suppose :D

I bought some grits a few years ago from Rimping and they were full of insects. Beware of any grains that have been on the shelf too long.

If you do get them and you're lucky enough that they don't have visable bugs, then freeze them for 24 hrs and supposedly that will kill the critters and their eggs.

Someone just informed me Rimping at Airport has grits. I am going there today.

I love jok! Jok Sompetch inside the moat on the north side of the city is my favorite place to eat Jok. Not sure if I spelled Sompetch right.

I'm from Charleston, SC. I grew up eating grits. It's nice to be able to get them here.