Last week's Tsunami Warning

lampard10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guy from Thai Anti-Cataclysm agency just cut into all programme channels.

I don't know what he was saying as he was speaking some strange language.

Sorry.

There has been an earthquake of 7.3 on the scale. Same place as before it looks like. Tsunami will hit in 12 mins

Don't think it's an excersize ,it's on CNN as well.

Edited by lampard10

Just heard the same thing 10 minutes ago, apparently Japan and America warned them there would be a Tsunami?

Meant to hit at 1:00 am though may of course just be nothing. So far they have told people to head for high ground.

No news yet George?

Tsunami Warning! Andaman Sea,

Could hit the coast between 00:13-00:30 (topics merged)

There's been a warning on tv.

I've just seen the emergency broadcast while at the corner store.

Once back home, two stations were following the events, others are still showing entertainment programs. :o

7.3 earthquake on Richter scal off Nicobar islands.

Someone on TV now on Phi Phi island mentioned the water has receded. Someone else in Patong was saying that it was high tide tonight.

Edited by penzman

Just heard the same thing 10 minutes ago, apparently Japan and America warned them there would be a Tsunami?

Meant to hit at 1:00 am though may of course just be nothing.  So far they have told people to head for high ground.

No news yet George?

I've PM & E-mailed Gearge. He's off-line at the mo.

I'm in Kata/Karon right now.. i will post up news as soon as i get it...

So far.. nothing but panic, there was a loud speaker van going round telling people (in thai) to get away from the beaches) otherwise nothing...

Will report as and when i find out

From the BBC:

Major quake hits Nicobar Islands

A major earthquake has hit the Nicobar Islands in India, the US Geological Survey has announced.

The quake, measuring seven on the Richter scale, occurred at 1542 (GMT), the US scientists said.

It was felt as far away as Madras (Chennai) in India, and Phuket in Thailand, they said.

There are no early reports of damage or casualties. But the authorities in Thailand have issued a tsunami warning.

"There is a possibility of a tsunami happening and if it happens it will affect Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, Ranong, Satun and Trang provinces," the National Disaster Warning Center said.

"We have asked authorities to issue the warning to people to prepare for evacuation and preparation to follow the emergency plan we have put in place," said the centre's director Plodprasop Surasawadi in an emergency broadcast.

The US scientists warned the quake may have caused damage "due to its location and size".

The Andaman and Nicobar islands are still reeling from December's quake and tsunami which killed up to 10,000 people.

Meant to hit at 1:00 am though may of course just be nothing.  So far they have told people to head for high ground.

No news yet George?

George is not available for some time.

Magnitude 7.0 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION

Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 15:42:05 UTC

Preliminary Earthquake Report

U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center

World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Versíon en Español

World Location

Regional Location

Magnitude 7.0

Date-Time Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 15:42:05 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time

Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 09:12:05 PM local time at epicenter

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 7.93N 92.15E

Depth 10.0 kilometers

Region NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION

Reference 135 km (85 miles) W of Misha, Nicobar Islands, India

420 km (260 miles) S of Port Blair, Andaman Islands, India

1110 km (690 miles) SW of BANGKOK, Thailand

2775 km (1720 miles) SE of NEW DELHI, Delhi, India

Location Quality Error estimate: horizontal +/- 7.9 km; depth +/- 0.0 km

Location Quality

Parameters Nst=146, Nph=146, Dmin=982.3 km, Rmss=1.07 sec, Erho=7.9 km, Erzz=0.0 km, Gp=36.2 degrees

Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

No news yet George?

George is not available for some time.

Chang Syndrome? :o

Merged both topics concerning the tsunami warning.

Did not realise someone else had already posted when I did in a hurry.

Yeah.I posted as soon as my wife woke me up, but as it was a translation I just put out a tentative warning. Didn't want to panic everyone and have the wrong end of the stick. Tried to phone George, but his mobiles on answer

Nothing much happening in Rawai (south Phuket) at the moment (1:00 am), apart from all the locals heading for the hills again. The top of the road from Rawai to Chalong is packed again, and a lot of the girls working in the bars have left for high ground, so not much fun playing pool :D

I went to Rawai beach, but just a crowd of curious locals staring at the sea. High tide at the moment, so if there is a wave, it won't have far to go :D

The cops turned up, loudspeakers telling people to go home and get 200 meters from the sea. Most of the crowd - including me - reluctantly sloped off.

As there was not much on CNN and BBC, I didn't think it would be a big problem this time. I hope I'm right.

Nice thing when I got home - my American neighbour's wife was outside and asked if I knew about the tsunami warning because she didn't have my number and wanted to call me. Sweet!

Just heard a news report on BBC - all of 20 seconds' worth. :o

So far CBC, CTV and CNN are NOT including Thailand in the warning (This is not a reason to be complacent though). The maps all place the epicentre on the western side of the Nicobars, hopefully shielding Thailand, and Malaysia.

cv