Taxes For Expats

I am the HR officer at a smallish NGO office, and our local hires consist of Thais and expats. By local hire, I mean paid in THai baht, no expat package etc..

A lot of these local hire expats are asking me a lot of questions about taxes. Being new to Thailand, I just don't have the answers. I have looked as much up on the Internet, and given it to them. But they need more info.

Does anyone know of any companies who might give our staff a Tax Seminar at a reasonable price. I know that the big 4 (PWC, Deloitte etc.._) probably can, but cost an arm and a leg. We need something a bit more reasonable. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Sumant

ps. Did anyone else fall asleep at the stadium watching Everton play. I can't believe they are playing Champions league this year.

Edited by sumantkumar

Where are you based? We are a small NGO and have an accountant in Chiang mai who deals with all the taxes and provides advice. Try one wherever you are.

As far as expats. Most people I've met don't pay. But, if you want to be honest, you're supposed to pay any income on your salary in Thailand and income that you bring into the country. (But I could be wrong on this).

most fully legit expat employees pay tax,by legit i mean proper visas, permits, reporting requirements met, company employer requirements met etc....

some western countries have dual tax treaties with thailand, and different western countries have different rules about what constitutes tax residency etc..

as far as your local tax obligations are concerned, your company accounts clerk,hr person etc... should know about this.failing that, contact the revenue department. as far as other tax obligations outside of the thai jurisdiction, each individual could approach their embassy for advice (yes diplomats pay tax too), or failing that any accountant back in their home country should know the deal.