Health Check Up Is Now Required For Thai Driving License Renewal

webfact

I renewed my five year bike licence this year, and my five year car licence last year. On both occasions I needed a Medical Certificate. I also needed one when I did the previous five year renewals and my intial one year licences. Nothing new for us then.

Same same everywhere, but some Doctors just charge more depending on locality. (But I must say they are not charging extra fees for the Farang on Samui, Gov't charge only, at this stage.

It was actually abolished about 5 years ago but like a lot of things it was not passed down the chain to respective offices...I renewed license Sept 2005 and then Sept 2010 and did not require it

I renewed my 5 year license yesteday up in Sahkon Nahkon province and no medical form was asked for or required.

Had to watch 2 1 hour long movies for renewals, one in thai, one in thai with english subtitles.

Also checked my colour preception and reflexes.

The thais repeatly failed the reflex test but got to keep doing it untill they passed

It makes sense to me. It is new. I was also not asked for (and nor did I produce) a medical certificate when I renewed my 5 year driving license last month.

I had to do the colour blindness, reaction and peripheral vision tests.

I also had to watch the hour long video with English subtitles. Fun fun fun... it warns of the dangers of being shot if you cut someone off, and encourages everybody to wear seatbelts, except kids in the back seats who it seems are free to do whatever the heck they like (not a child's car seat in sight)

I always had to get one and we used a local doc. at the time

Funny (well not too funny) a few weeks after getting a cert. for driving renewal I had my first Heart Attack and he was on duty. :lol:

A few hours into the ICU he leans down and asks, "did you have any symtoms before this". I was honest and said No Doc it is a big surprise to me too.:D

I went to the doctor in KK a few years ago and, after describing my symptoms, he asked me " What do you think it is?"

I dunno doc. Ebola virus? Necrosis? Dodgy plate of goy? Have you got an almanac I can flick through?

Psychological and emotional tests are also included in the examination to guarantee that no mental disabilities are found.

Well that's just ruled out 99% of the Thai driving populace right there. :lol:

Chiang Mai Ram failed a mate because he is totally colour-blind, although he still passed the driving test as I was there to answer the colour questions for him. :blink:

Excellent! That solves all of the problems on the road. Bad driving in Thailand will now be a thing of the past.

You have to start somewhere. This is not meant as a cure all. Why are you for people with frequent seizures or other problems being allowed behind the wheel?

I sent my wife in to get my medical certificate for me recently....

I tried that but they needed to see me, I walked in they saw me at reception and gave me the certificate.

Its nice to know I am in perfect health!!!.

they always ask for a medical certificate, the certificate costs 50 baht with no medical being performed.

Looks like the price will be going up very soon. Lucky that no actual medical examination is needed, cause that would be even more money.

I renewed my 5 year license yesteday up in Sahkon Nahkon province and no medical form was asked for or required.

Had to watch 2 1 hour long movies for renewals, one in thai, one in thai with english subtitles.

Also checked my colour preception and reflexes.

The thais repeatly failed the reflex test but got to keep doing it untill they passed

Same here. I renewed my licence in Bangkok in last December or January and wasn't asked for a med. cert.

But I did get treated to the video. I think it is good and at least a basic effort to teach traffic rules. This won't cure all problems, but it's a start.

I did my 5 year renewal recently, and the medical was not needed nor asked about.

How recently? I did mine last Monday and needed it (had to go away and come back again with it)

Also, for the initial 1 year temporary license, it's been needed for many years. It's just the renewal that now needs this requirement.

Edited by dantilley

Excellent! That solves all of the problems on the road. Bad driving in Thailand will now be a thing of the past.

You have to start somewhere. This is not meant as a cure all. Why are you for people with frequent seizures or other problems being allowed behind the wheel?

Do you think handing over 50 baht and getting a piece of paper will somehow cure seizures?

I did my 5 year renewal recently, and the medical was not needed nor asked about.

How recently? I did mine last Monday and needed it (had to go away and come back again with it)

I think the right question is: Where?

Also, for the initial 1 year temporary license, it's been needed for many years. It's just the renewal that now needs this requirement.

Yes, it's been needed for getting a new licence forever. The renewal is the issue, and I didn't need it in Bangkok last time.

Beginning of July 2010

Yeah, I think it must be a very recent change then.

The motorbike taxi guys outside the license office all know about it - as I was walking out towards them they all called out "Doctor?" at me as I approached! Must have had a few other farangs caught short...

wow,thats alot of 50 baht x customers. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Doctors were recently complaining about income. This is a simple way to boost it.

I agree, this is just an easy way to boost the doctors income. It is the same as a tax. It may not sound like a lot of money but multiplied by the number of drivers .... wow! And it is a thinly vailed tax because nobody receives an examination that complies with the act. If they were serious they would employ a doctor at the license office to screen each driver as part of the approval process and collect the 50 baht. My letter/certificate cost 100 baht and I need to get 2. One for a car and one for a motor cycle. Go figure .... maybe i was healthy for the bike but unhealthy for the car ....:lol:

Farang pay 200 baht. Thai pay 50 baht.

I didn't. I paid 50 baht in july this year.

dam_n, I paid 100B about 4 years back. I guess you have to pay extra to not see the doctor. Did not require a medical certificate when I went to get my 5 year renewal. This must be new then huh? The government helping out the medical profession by ensuring that everyone gets a medical cert and thus helping to boost their income.

I wonder how many foreigners out there actually go to Samitivej or Bumrungrad, to get medically certified? This is no couple of hundred baht run. Welcome to LO(D)S - Land of Double Standards.

Am i the only one who is laughing???

To start with medical certificate is a waste of time, not only doctors do not do any checks, when they do, they ask questions like if legs swell up and if i can read the top line(the biggest letters) on the chart and off i go.

How about having proper driving training and proper road rules training, so the drivers know to give way when coming from the side soi on to the main road and learn how to reverse park, so they do not have to block road and park 5 meters away from the kerb.

Seriously has anyone seen a local do a reverse parking? In my 7 years i have not yet.

How about also taking away vehicle and arresting those caught driving without license(not that it makes any difference in their driving if they have it or not) rather then just issuing 500 baht fine and off they go driving again

I honestly believe if someone films the license tests and classes and posts it on youtube, it will be hit of the year, better then any comedy i have ever seen.

Once when i was renewing mine, we had about 8 guys awaiting our "tests" and we were told can only fail 3 times, and if do not get it right, need to come back the next day.

One bloke got it wrong 10 times, and rather then sending him home, they "assisted" him and off he went with a brand new license(hopefully not killing someone)

How about the government in this country looks around and compares road fatality's to other places like Australia and Singapore and perhaps copy what other countries doing rather then implementing more stupid rules which are simple useless and worthless

Edited by kuffki

Farang pay 200 baht. Thai pay 50 baht.

Nice try, troll. I've always paid 50, although 50, 200, 1000 is neither here nor there when one has the means. What's that, 200 is a day's wage for you. Never mind, shit happens, eh what what. In your next life, you may be a somebody. :whistling:

I paid 50 Baht went get my 5 year lic last month and it was issued to expire in 2016 :D

They work the five years from your next birthday, so theoretically you could end up with a shade off 6 years. With that in mind, those that are about to renew and have a birthday coming up, wait until after your birthday. ;)

they always ask for a medical certificate, the certificate costs 50 baht with no medical being performed.

I did my 5 year renewal in August and was sent away to get a medical certificate. Again, in Thailand's gov't offices, it just depends on the office and the mood of the clerk you deal with.

Anyway, a medical certificate doesn't say much about the actual health- especially the mental one.

I believe I'm living proof of that one. :crazy:

• 1 year later...

my field report, renewing driving license ( first time ) at the DLT Bangkok office area 3

went yesterday to the DLT to renew my license for the first time. Didn't bring a medical certificate, was sent back to get it. Went with the motorbike taxi to a small ' clinic' close to Bang Chak BTS station where I got it within 2 minutes, damage 80 Baht. Back to the DLT got my number ( time stamp 10.48 AM ) . After 1 hour we were told that the computer is down, possibly for an hour. Around 12.30 PM computer still down, announcement from the staff, pls wait another hour. At 3.00 PM another announcement, pls come back tomorrow, but before you come pls call.

This morning tried to call but as you can expect nobody picked up, so I went there again. Arrived at 9.30 AM , crazy busy but I showed the number from yesterday and was promoted to next in line. I had to renew 2 licenses ( car and bike ) but unfortunately after the first license was printed the computer went down again. Another 1 1/2 hour to wait but finally they got it done.

The following documents were requested:

1. certificate of residence

2. medical certificate

3. copies of: temporary driving license, passport pages with visum stamp, last entry stamp, ID page

To get to the DLT office, take the BTS to Bang Chak station, and from there it is not more than 10 min walk.