Internet On Happy? Got 3G?

shafraz

Hello,

I would be visiting Bangkok again in a week or so. I would be staying in Bkk for about 5 days. I have a Dtac Happy SIM and I would like to use internet on the move during my stay of 5 Days. I mostly stay around the BangKapi Area, but would be traveling around Bkk as well. My internet usage is moderate and not heavy.

1) From what I've understood, internet is readily available on all happy SIM's and I will be paying 1.07Baht/Minute. If I require, I can upgrade this to a bundled package - It that right? Please advice on this.

2) How is the Internet speed on Happy? Is 3G available? Or am I stuck with dead slow GPRS / EDGE?

3) When I top up the Happy SIM, I just do the usual top up via 7/11 right? There is no requirement to have any special type of top up for Internet isn't it? The SIM credit balance can be used for both phone calls / sms as well as Internet isn't it?

I very much appreciate all your advice / guidance on this.

Have a good day.

Cheers,

Shaf

No, you have a special package for internet. The last time I used it , it was B 100 for 20 hours, but it is edge and is Slow. But if you are here for a short time, it is your only realistic option, save for using Internet cafes.

Edge will not do. Its too slow. I would require 3G connectivity. It's sad to know that DTAC doesn't have 3G yet.

Nevertheless, imobile 3G is a 3G enabled sim and has good speeds? Or only the name is 3G and not the performance? And is it a Data only SIM? Or can I use it for voice calls as well? I am looking for some SIM that I can put in my smartphone and use both for Internet and phone calls/sms at the same time. However, if there is no option and I have to have a separate sim for Data/Internet, then I have not much option but to use 2 sims.

Please advice.

Edge will not do. Its too slow. I would require 3G connectivity. It's sad to know that DTAC doesn't have 3G yet.

...... I am looking for some SIM that I can put in my smartphone and use both for Internet and phone calls/sms at the same time

Aren't we all. Until now Thailand doesn't have this basic service available for GSM phones across the country. Check back in a few years.

Sent from my (un)Happy DTAC EDGE account:-)

• 1 month later...

A quick update on this.

I purchased an iMobile 3G. I was mostly in the Huamark area. Reception and speeds were quite good. Nothing much to complain, and I guess the pricing was reasonable too.

How much was the SIM?

I'm using Happy DTAC and it's as slow as a wet week.

I can't even Skype.

Kenny

A quick update on this.

I purchased an iMobile 3G. I was mostly in the Huamark area. Reception and speeds were quite good. Nothing much to complain, and I guess the pricing was reasonable too.

How much was the SIM?

I can't even Skype.

Kenny

TOT3G - only works around Bangkok now has unlimited 3G (limited to 2mbps) for 1490THB/30 days. http://www.tot3g.net/service_promotions_detail.php?promotionsID=28

Edited by Digitalbanana

A quick update on this.

How much was the SIM?

I can't even Skype.

Kenny

99 Baht and now 1 GB data with iMobile .

I would suggest changing to True (New sim 49 baht)- Their plan gives you a portion of your prepaid data at 3G speed (first 5-15 hours)... and you can also use your time for all the True & KSC Wifi Hotspots... As a bonus if you get the True Intrsim you can call most western countries fo 1 baht/minute using the 00600 predial

http://www.truemove.com/en/data-package-timebase.html

http://www.truemove.com/en/Inter-SIM-Prepay.rails

Edited by sfokevin

I would suggest changing to True (New sim 49 baht)- Their plan gives you a portion of your prepaid data at 3G speed (first 5-15 hours)... and you can also use your time for all the True & KSC Wifi Hotspots... As a bonus if you get the True Intrsim you can call most western countries fo 1 baht/minute using the 00600 predial

The 3G hours are in addition to the GPRS/EDGE/WiFi hours. There is also a volume based option.

True Move are doing their best to offer what they can within governing restrictions. Bear in mind since they only run on 850Mhz it will involve a change of hardware for many esp visitors from most other countries where 850 isn't used.

Many people who have bought a 900/2100Mhz 3G capable phone here in Thailand and paid purchase tax on it and the service still haven't got a 3G service to run it on thanks to the powers that be.

Buy imobile 3g sim from 7eleven

I am interested in the iMobile 3G mentioned here. DTAC Happy now charges 49 Baht per day unlimited use, so if this iMobile 3G is 1,490 Baht for 30 days unlimited use it is certainly worth it by comparison. My HTC phone with Android apparently can handle these network types and frequencies:

HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

I see on their website that TOT 3G operates on 900/2100 MHz, so I am covered. But I cannot find the pre-paid promotion for 1,490 Baht unlimited use for 30 days. Has somebody got a direct link to that page? I see this:

post-21260-0-28660100-1290194530_thumb.g

Buy imobile 3g sim from 7eleven

I am interested in the iMobile 3G mentioned here. DTAC Happy now charges 49 Baht per day unlimited use, so if this iMobile 3G is 1,490 Baht for 30 days unlimited use it is certainly worth it by comparison. My HTC phone with Android apparently can handle these network types and frequencies:

HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

I see on their website that TOT 3G operates on 900/2100 MHz, so I am covered. But I cannot find the pre-paid promotion for 1,490 Baht unlimited use for 30 days. Has somebody got a direct link to that page? I see this:

post-21260-0-28660100-1290194530_thumb.g

Here