How Many Days A Year Or Children Of School ?

SausageKing

Not that much different just different times, ever go to school Christmas day at all.

Different Country, different culture, different climate, some Countries the kids don't go to school.

I think the kids here in Thailand are well behaved.

I'd agree with you. A long time ago back in the UK I got about 12 weeks a year, 1 Easter, 2 Whit, 6 summer and 2 Christmas then there were a few days off for half terms. My children in the UK got pretty much the same except u11 they got 3 weeks at Whit.

Here I would thing the average is around 20 weeks. My son is off school at the moment for 4 weeks. They also have a very long break of about 12 weeks and quite a few other days for Royal Birhtdays and special Buddhist events.

My personal view is that they get too many holidays and it is the main holiday which is too long.

I also remember that back in the UK I got a list in September of all the holidays until September the following year. Afetr nine years in Thailand it's still difficult to get accurate dates only a few weeks off the holiday.

I'd agree with you. A long time ago back in the UK I got about 12 weeks a year, 1 Easter, 2 Whit, 6 summer and 2 Christmas then there were a few days off for half terms. My children in the UK got pretty much the same except u11 they got 3 weeks at Whit.

Here I would thing the average is around 20 weeks. My son is off school at the moment for 4 weeks. They also have a very long break of about 12 weeks and quite a few other days for Royal Birhtdays and special Buddhist events.

My personal view is that they get too many holidays and it is the main holiday which is too long.

I also remember that back in the UK I got a list in September of all the holidays until September the following year. Afetr nine years in Thailand it's still difficult to get accurate dates only a few weeks off the holiday.

Yes i agree about the school holidays are not the same Europe. The Thai are children are better behaved then in uk from where i come from. i have to sons what are half Thai and English and they are 9 and 11 years old now but they went to a uk school for the early years and now they in Thai school and i feel sure i done the best thing for my sons in the way they grow up polite in Thai. I was worried at first because when we first come Thai my sons could not speak Thai. Well after 15 months they can speak and read and write it.

• 4 weeks later...

The Ministry of Education specifies a 40 week school year (two 20 week terms). Most schools have a 3 week break in October and a 9 week break in around Songkran. If the school is Christian, they'll generally take a week off the October holiday and have a short Christmas/new Year break. Then you take off Thai public holidays -

New Year’s Day, Makha Bucha Day, Chakri Day, Songkran Festival, Coronation Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asahna Bucha Day, H.M. Queen’s Birthday, Chulalongkorn Day (Rama V Day), H.M. King’s Birthday, Constitution Day, New Year’s Eve

Songkran and Coronation Day would fall in the main holiday, Chulalongkorn Day would fall in the October break, so that's another 10 days holiday making a 38 week year.

International schools will follow a timetable according to the curriculum they follow - important to do so for exam dates.

In the UK, schools have a 39 week year, minus public holidays (which often fall in the half term breaks or holiday times anyway) and 3 teacher training days.

Fairly similar to the Thai school year.

What I would say is that the summer break is far too long. I'd rather see:

A 4 week break for Songkran

7 weeks school then 1 week off at the end of June

Another 7 weeks then 2 weeks off in the middle of August

Another 7 weeks of school, then a 1 week break at the beginning of November

8 weeks of school up to the New Year break.

2 weeks break over New Year

6 weeks school then a 1 week break in the middle of February

Another 6 weeks of school up to Songkran.

But then nobody would be able to make money on those summer schools.

The Ministry of Education specifies a 40 week school year (two 20 week terms). Most schools have a 3 week break in October and a 9 week break in around Songkran.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. My partner's daughter started at her new school around mid-May, went on to autumn break in early October (equates to the 20 weeks) and just went back to school last week. She took mid-term exams right before going on the October break, and got her mid-term grades on the first day back at school. She went in with her mother on the first day back, to meet with teachers and go over grades. If I recall correctly, the school year ends around mid-March. We try to keep her busy and aside from short breaks, she continues with her extracurricular English tutoring and music lessons throughout the year.