Documents Needed While Driving A Motor Bike

FATNAPPY

Not sure if this has already been covered as I have been out of the country for a month. Got stopped yersterday on Skvt Road on my motor bike. No problem I thought, I have my driving licence, I have my tax disc, I have my insurance...Silly me....now you have to have a copy of your green book with you. Funny it was mainly us white skins they were stopping as Thais were driving by 4 on a bike none over 15 on their mobiles no helmets etc etc etc....Sorry rant over...So be warned copy of green book required ( bet it will be the wrong page or printed on the wrong coloured paper ):whistling:

got stopped just out of Ban Amphour by Najomtiem police at a road block had every thing but my green book 300 Baht at police station or 200 Baht to police man, one of four officers

was told must have a copy (its not the middle of the month

got stopped just out of Ban Amphour by Najomtiem police at a road block had every thing but my green book 300 Baht at police station or 200 Baht to police man, one of four officers

was told must have a copy (its not the middle of the month

I would bet they will think of something else if you had the ownership book!

Seems they are on that stretch of road or a bit further south at least every Friday, probably other days too.

I notice a few locals hanging back waiting for a bus to hide behind to get past the police without being stopped - try it!

edit; forgot to say, sub-15 year-olds don't usually have the required money on them.

Edited by dogleg

Been here for a number of years and a copy of the green book has always been a requirement at a police stop but not always asked for.

The green book is your proof of ownership.

On both the yearly tax slip and the insurance document are your name and full address written.You can't obtain either of them without a legal green book.So to me it is obvious that this proves who the owner is.

Been here for a number of years and a copy of the green book has always been a requirement at a police stop but not always asked for.

On both the yearly tax slip and the insurance document are your name and full address written.You can't obtain either of them without a legal green book.So to me it is obvious that this proves who the owner is.

I went a few weeks ago to get my motorbike tax and insurance for another year. I had to give in my green book in order to get the tax and ins. I returned a week later and I got everything. They also gave me a photocopy of my green book and told me that I had to keep this copy with me on the bike. They explained to me that the requirements had changed and now the green book (or a copy of) is now needed to show the police.

I went a few weeks ago to get my motorbike tax and insurance for another year. I had to give in my green book in order to get the tax and ins. I returned a week later and I got everything. They also gave me a photocopy of my green book and told me that I had to keep this copy with me on the bike. They explained to me that the requirements had changed and now the green book (or a copy of) is now needed to show the police.

I understand what you're saying but my point is that the tax id and insurance already clearly show who the owner is so why now at once the extra requirement for the green book copy.What will be next?A verified statement from your mother that it is you named in the book or the receipt from the motorbike shop where you paid for the motorbike?

The fact is that this is just another example of,lets create some more requirements because the easy money extortion pool is running dry.

I understand what you're saying but my point is that the tax id and insurance already clearly show who the owner is so why now at once the extra requirement for the green book copy.What will be next?A verified statement from your mother that it is you named in the book or the receipt from the motorbike shop where you paid for the motorbike?

The fact is that this is just another example of,lets create some more requirements because the easy money extortion pool is running dry.

Yes, and your point is well taken. I completely agree that it is silly and unnecessary to carry the green book when proof of ownership is already established. However, if these are the new rules and a policeman asks you for the green book with the authority to possibly fine you for not having a copy. Isnt it better to be aware of the rule change and to carry a copy rather than haggling and arguing with an officer on Sukumwit?

I have been stoped many times over the years, and had a spate of being stoped on the railway road recently 5 times in the last few weeks.

Never had to pay a fine yet, always carry DL, TAX and copy of Green Book.

I have always been asked for DL and TAX but only asked for green book in about 30% of cases.

Have also noticed if I have my Thai Daughter on the back going to/from school I am not stoped if on my own I am stoped 50% of the time.

Edited by kevkev1888

I do not know why some of you get so exited about a copy of the green book. Back home I had to carry the ORIGINAL for Car (or my Motorbike) with me when driving. I guess if its a new requirement, then they we would have heard about it in Thai News Papers, TV or Radio. Most probably not in English thought. Thats the price we pay if we do not understand the local language.

Some good points, and as usual a lot o <deleted>....I can understand that some paperwork "supercedes" another - 90 day check in was a good example, for a while they were requesting that you showed something to prove that you lived at that address, so you show youir driving liscence, obtained by means of a confirmation of address by the same office that is responsible for issuing that confirmation to allow you to go and get a liscence in the first place???<deleted>? Same same motorbike tax, insurance etc!

Supercedes is not the right word there i dont think, before i get a slagging! Shandy or two this afternoon!