Police Control

basjke

.I have valid driver license,tax id and insurance and there is no Thai law that orders me to carry my green book with me so <deleted> off.

if you had said those words to a cop, corrupted or not, you should rightly be fined and/or jailed. <_<

• Like 1

.I have valid driver license,tax id and insurance and there is no Thai law that orders me to carry my green book with me so &lt;deleted&gt; off.

if you had said those words to a cop, corrupted or not, you should rightly be fined and/or jailed. <_<

Believe me or not but these are the words I used,and I talked quite loud so everybody around could hear me,and by the way it is not the first time I use them to a cop.

Edited by basjke

I'm no expert on Thai law, but when I bought my motorbike, I was told that I needed to carry photocopies of a couple of the pages from the green book. The pages required are the ones showing the current ownership details, and the ones showing your history of tax payments plus any fines for being late (I got a 2 Baht fine last time, bad boy!). No need to carry the green book itself, you're right there I think, but for the sake of 2 minutes and 4 Baht copying costs, it's worth carrying these copies.

I travelled to Jomtien and back this morning and there were MANY police and maybe 50 bikes stopped at a large roadcheck under the flyover.

Such a waste of time and money when, as one poster rightly pointed out, there is so much other crime in this city which these corrupt idiots should be following up on.

I was also stopped in Bangkok twice this week on my motorbike.

Do you think times are increasingly hard for the BIB?

I'm no expert on Thai law, but when I bought my motorbike, I was told that I needed to carry photocopies of a couple of the pages from the green book. The pages required are the ones showing the current ownership details, and the ones showing your history of tax payments plus any fines for being late (I got a 2 Baht fine last time, bad boy!). No need to carry the green book itself, you're right there I think, but for the sake of 2 minutes and 4 Baht copying costs, it's worth carrying these copies.

The insurance shows the frame number and your name.You don't get an insurance without showing the green book.

The paper attached to the tax ID again shows your name and frame number of the bike,which is normally the same as on your driver license unless you have rented the bike,which is not the case with me.You also don't get a new tax ID as long as you don't have proof of insurance and that all previous tax payments have been cleared.

Do you really think that this copper would have let me go if he had a point?

.I have valid driver license,tax id and insurance and there is no Thai law that orders me to carry my green book with me so &lt;deleted&gt; off.

You are still thinking in a western way, that police deserve respect, TIT they sadly deserve NO respect, they are crooks!

• Like 1

actually;

Motor Vehicle Act - Title 4: Penalty Provisions - Section 66

He who fails to present his driver's license or a photocopy of the registration book to a competent officer while driving a motor vehicle is subject to a fine not exceeding 1,000B.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/thai_motorcycle_law

So maybe he let you go, because you had lost your cool, and therefore, loosing face, and he was sorry for you...

• Like 1

IMHO you can thank a few do-gooder falangs for getting this latest scam/harassment started by the BiB.

Look forward to it getting worse. There's big money to be made. It has nothing to do to road safety or law enforcement.

New positions in the force need to be bought soon.

actually;

He who fails to present his driver's license or a photocopy of the registration book to a competent officer while driving a motor vehicle is subject to a fine not exceeding 1,000B.

So maybe he let you go, because you had lost your cool, and therefore, loosing face, and he was sorry for you...

He did show his drivers license ....

Edited by Phil Conners

The 1st of September is the last day that income tax should/must be paid to the tax revenue offices.

Probably the police-HR-departments deducted the last bit of the income tax from their last salary, leaving not much to live from.

So, they need some extra cash this (and probably the next) month.

Well, IF I get stopped, and IF they ask me for green book, or a copy, and IF I just tell them to F... off, and IF they still give me a ticket, can I tell them that someone from TV told me to say that?? That may not be a very good excuse. Of course I could just tear up my ticket and then tell him again to F... off, but............. I just dont see the advantage in trying to push them.

I have been stopped a couple times, and was asked for papers, and before I could produce them, they just told me I could go. Maybe they just didnt feel like getting in a conversation in a language that might be difficult for them. Yes, they stop a lot of motor bikes, but there are more reasons than just collecting money, many bikes are stolen, and some Thais, are carrying drugs or weapons, and that could be why they dont always bother with checking farang papers, so sometimes there are advantages of being farang.

Well, IF I get stopped, and IF they ask me for green book, or a copy, and IF I just tell them to F... off, and IF they still give me a ticket, can I tell them that someone from TV told me to say that?? That may not be a very good excuse. Of course I could just tear up my ticket and then tell him again to F... off, but............. I just dont see the advantage in trying to push them.

I have been stopped a couple times, and was asked for papers, and before I could produce them, they just told me I could go. Maybe they just didnt feel like getting in a conversation in a language that might be difficult for them. Yes, they stop a lot of motor bikes, but there are more reasons than just collecting money, many bikes are stolen, and some Thais, are carrying drugs or weapons, and that could be why they dont always bother with checking farang papers, so sometimes there are advantages of being farang.

Like I said in the OP,he had started writing a ticket already and kept my driving license during that time.Of course I could have said capon cap cap caaaap cap cap,and then I would have ended up with a fine that wasn't justified.

I also had the feeling that if I indeed had showed the copy of the green book,which isn't neccessary as the tax ID and insurance slip together with my driving license show ALL the information that is available in the green book,the next request would have probably been that I needed to wear red underwear or blue socks.

"Petty for those poor Thais who got trapped by him and probably lost a days salary because these c*nts still can do what they want to make a budget instead of doing their job properly."

To keep things anatomically correct, shouldn't you have said "c*cks," or were you in fact stopped by a female officer :lol:

One of the side-benefits (besides air-con, saving your life, and keeping your hair nice) of driving a car/SUV is basically never being stopped by the BIB at all the annoying check-points around town.

actually;

http://www.motorcycl..._motorcycle_law

He did show his drivers license ....

Depends whether you read that as you have the option to show either one or neither one...

Edited by Daewoo

To suggest all Thai police are crooks is like saying all farangs are fat and rude.

Neither is true.

If you want to live here harmoniously, drop the cliché generalisms.

I have lived here in "perfect harmony" for the past 22 years, when I meet this straight cop who upholds law and order :lol: Its not going to happen :rolleyes:

Motorbike theft is rampant and checks are also to see if the rider is the true owner.

As suggested, a copy of all docs and passport/latest visa is easy to make and keep with you.

Thais are also checked for weapons and drugs so while inconvenient, perhaps, the road blocks are legitimate.

Anyone bullying cops anywhere is none too smart IMHO and certainly it's not wise here.

If your docs are in order, then you will normally be allowed to proceed with a polite word from the policeman.

I hear all these complaints but have never had a bad incident with a policeman here in over 4 decades. If you are relaxed and polite, they generally are also.

Other police are doing other things so lighten up about time wasting of those on road checks.

100% agree with you i have the same expieriance

good and polite police

the only one time the cop was directley asking for a tip happend also

i gived him 200bht fot his kids school

actually;

Haha, I actually like the word "competent" In the post, is someone actually accepting in Thailand that there are a lot of "Incompetent" officers who can't do their job properly or lack training to do so, or was something lost in translation... :lock:

One of the side-benefits (besides air-con, saving your life, and keeping your hair nice) of driving a car/SUV is basically never being stopped by the BIB at all the annoying check-points around town.

At times im faster with the bike then the car. I prefer the bike for short trips or longer trips past traffic choce points.

I travelled to Jomtien and back this morning and there were MANY police and maybe 50 bikes stopped at a large roadcheck under the flyover.

Such a waste of time and money when, as one poster rightly pointed out, there is so much other crime in this city which these corrupt idiots should be following up on.

People here are always complaining about the lax enforcement of laws here and especially where scooters are concerned so tell me how does the BIB win the battle? I'm not defending the entire legal system here but it seems to me they have to start somewhere and the scooters are as good a place as any. As in any modern society if you can afford to own and operate any vehicle then you can afford to follow the laws, you pays your money and takes your chances..

The traffic and parking sure slows you down though ehh. :lol:

Edited by kevkev1888

People here are always complaining about the lax enforcement of laws here and especially where scooters are concerned so tell me how does the BIB win the battle? I'm not defending the entire legal system here but it seems to me they have to start somewhere and the scooters are as good a place as any. As in any modern society if you can afford to own and operate any vehicle then you can afford to follow the laws, you pays your money and takes your chances..

I agree with you that law enforcement is a must,although a joke in Thailand.But don't you think they would make a better start with going after those killers who are driving through red lights and murder other road users on a daily base,then with extorting easy money from thais who barely can afford a small motorbike and do no harm to anybody then themselves with not wearing a helmet.

• Like 1

I agree with you that law enforcement is a must,although a joke in Thailand.But don't you think they would make a better start with going after those killers who are driving through red lights and murder other road users on a daily base,then with extorting easy money from thais who barely can afford a small motorbike and do no harm to anybody then themselves with not wearing a helmet.

Agreed! Those of us who choose to drive a bike sometimes are doing so at our peril with pickups and SUV's driving like idiots all over the place. I lost count of the times I've been run off the road by an oncoming SUV who couldn't care less about a bike. Also don't forget the buses and trucks who seem to think that traffic lights are advisory only. Plenty of better places to start than hunting the lowest layer of the food chain.

To suggest all Thai police are crooks is like saying all farangs are fat and rude.

Neither is true.

If you want to live here harmoniously, drop the cliché generalisms.

like it-------------this town started off with r and r guys and now has f and r guys------------- brilliant name for a bar----------------------------------the fat farang rude boys bar