J1 Visa To Us

Now I am in the right forum.......

My Thai friends Thai boss is going to the US on a J1 visa apparently.

My friend has been asked to do the paperwork, because his boss is too lazy/stupid to do it himself.......

Anyway, what papers do the US embassy here in BKK need to process the application. How long will it take to get an interview? Do you need an interview? Homeland security? Sorry but I am an Aussie, so don't have a clue about US immigration.

Any help would be nice!

A J1 visa is for university students to go on an "educational" /cultural exchange. The holder is entitled to work for a few months in non-permanent jobs, in order to support themselves, although they are not required to attend any course in the U.S.

I don't remember what exact papers are required (proof of currently attending full time course at government-approved university, for a start), but... "his boss"??? Don't think he's going to have much luck there.

Believe it!

His boss has a Ph. d. and has been INVITED by an american (state) uni to study there for a year, and from their end they are applying for a J1 visa for him. I need to know what he needs to do this end.

Believe it!

His boss has a Ph. d. and has been INVITED by an american (state) uni to study there for a year, and from their end they are applying for a J1 visa for him. I need to know what he needs to do this end.

Sorry, it's still wrong. It's a WORKING HOLIDAY visa, not a study visa. His educational attainments are irrelevant - the visa is usually issued to current university undergraduates, by which I mean that they have not yet got a degree of any kind. A J1 entitles the holder to work, not to study (although I assume study is not actually banned.) Finally, a J1 allows you to stay for 4 months max (3 months of work and 1 month of pure tourism).

The American uni would be familiar with issuing paperwork for the equivalent of J1s to it's own students, who visit reciprocating countries under the same arrangement. Perhaps that's why they are confused.