Nissan Sunny Neo

Thaiboxer

Hi Folks,

We're thinking of getting a new car at the beginning of next year. I like the diesel pickups for their reliability but with a baby on the way we definitely need a family vehicle. I sat in the top model one and it seemed to provide adaquate space and the body isn't too big...always a plus for those tight parking spots at the mall. The cheapest model with a 1.6 liter/manual transmission is listed at 700K baht. We would really like something for around 600K baht but the cheaper vehicles don't seem to be built that well. The Neo is supposed to get around 13km/liter which is decent mileage and it looks to be pretty comfortable.

Has anybody had exeprience with the Neos? If so, I'd like to hear the good/bad on this car. Thanks!

Friend of mine at work bought one a couple of years back. I haven't been very far in it (trundling around the area for lunch mainly) so my limited comments are that it's nice enough if not exactly inspiring. He hasn't had any reliability issues with it that I know of. He does make occasional forays up to wifey's village in Isaan so I guess it can handle highway work as well.

However, I do know that there's a new Sunny due to be launched in the next one or two years. The current model is (according to the press) long in the tooth (ie. more cramped and rougher engines) compared to the Corolla or Civic. I guess I'd only buy a Sunny now if I could get a bigger discount, or else I'd buy the Honda or Toyota instead. Of course, if you only have a Nissan dealer near you then that's a major consideration too.

It is not the most expensive car so you cannot expect the most expensive style and performance I had one for a year as a company car and it was fine, never had any reliability problems, fuel consumption was great, comfortable although on long journeys up north you need to stop to get some bloodflow back in your butt. The only criticism, which can only be expected at that price, is it is a bit underpowered for overtaking.

Thanks for the replies so far! I have also heard good things about the Chevy Zafira and the Optra. They are roughly the same price as many of the Japanese cars yet they have the stronger body (thicker metal) of the typical American car.

Neither Zafira, nor Optra has anything to do with Americans. Zafira is Opel and Optra is Daweoo. Still, there's nothing wrong with Optra, if you don't want Honda or Toyota.

Zafira line will be discontinued and abandoned soon - don't bother buying a six year old model with no future.

Sunny is getting its final facelift and will be replaced as early as next year by a completely new vehicle. Keep that in mind.