Rear Sensors

JohnLeech

I was thinking of fitting rear sensors to my Vigo to avoid accidents when backing up, so I checked with my local Auto-supplies (Boy Air & Sound) who are usually pretty good.

No problem fitting them and pretty cheap (1,800 baht for a pair with an audible alarm, fitted), but the sales girl told me that all, even including the expensive ones, have a tendency to give a false alarm when wet and that I would be better off fitting a camera and monitor. I am not too keen on that as there's nowhere to really hide the monitor so I would prefer to keep it simple and fit the sensors.

Has anyone who has them fitted got false alarms when its been raining,or is she just trying to get a better sale?

I have a Civic but they are factory installed. 4 on the rear, two corner and two direct and never had them go off due to rain. Perhaps the issue on 3rd party installs would be improper sealing and moisture getting into the electrics.

I have had aftermarket on a 2006 Vigo. They where crap at 1500-2000 baht

I presently have Toyota original fitted by dealer on 2010 Vigo. Freebie so dont know the price. No problem or false signal in 11 months. Wiring done according to Toyotas requirement (same as Fortuner which come with these stock), and alarm in dash, not behind rear seat.

I v had them on every car/truck I have had past 12 years (approx 15 vehicles) except for a 2006 Yaris. Wouldnt consider a new vehcile without them. Use mirrors only, never turn head around

Edited by katabeachbum

Thanks for both of those - that's what I thought.

I'll check the cost with Toyota and probably get them fitted at the next service, hopefully before I have a crunch. I've never needed or thought about them before, which is why I didn't get them fitted, but I've never had a pick-up before either!

I've had rear sensors on 2 Toyotas, both factory fitted, no problems with rain but they started to warn almost a meter from the wall that I park against so I found them pretty useless, no way to tell if I'm 10 or 20 cm away from the wall which is what I want to know. The sensors on the Avanza nearly 5 years old stopped working a while back, I'm almost glad... I taught the wife to read the brake lights on the wall to determine distance and I must say that it works great.

Edit: Yes, I also find it more difficult to judge distance with pick-ups, don't know why actually

Edited by MikeyIdea