Chalong Pier Road

KarenBravo

Does anyone know if this previously pleasant soi leading down to the piers' road widening will bulldoze the relatively newly established embarrassment that are the tarts bars? What an introduction to the, now, cesspit that was once the lovely Chalong Bay.

I heard they are going also.

The one bar and hairdressing salon that were owned by the same family for years changed into 5 bars and were obviously sold off.....the salon moved across the street, smart move considering all thoze tarts will need to still look pretty.

Obviously some very astute falang investors didnt do their homework smile.gif....I also heard Sabai Sabai massage sold for 150k, a bargain considering there is around 8 months before the building is demolished. Plus I imagine the rent is 12k a month....thats a lot of massaging and beer sales to cover the costs.

Hurrah! I used to live a stone's throw from that soi and visited the very sadly closed Phuket Fish'n'Chips on occasion. They were great friends of mine and I remember them pointing out the very first brothel-on-the-far-corner and their fears there were more to come, thus destroying the charm of that area. They were right.

I have other Thai friends living in rooms by the sauna who I frequently visit, and get pig sick of the 'heloooo welcome's' ever time I visit them,( I am not alone in this view). And this is day time.

I too loathe 'malls'. But give me the relative peace and quiet over the screams of tarts and ladyboys alike in this very narrow, last preserve of the only remaining 'rural' part of the southern area of Phuket. Rawai having already long gone to the 'dogs'. Literally.

Hope they remember to properly landscape it.

Edited by krangeek

Its not road widening as this road has no need for that.

Unfortunately in Thailand that little bit of conventional wisdom does not hold true. Examples about of needless civil works projects because someone influential lives at the end of the road or someones brother owns a construction company and needs a contract.

Have you ever seen the big tourbuses trying to navigate this road, while at the same time all snorkeling and diving minibuses try to get to their destination, all buying ice and other things in the mean time?

Have you ever seen the big tourbuses trying to navigate this road, while at the same time all snorkeling and diving minibuses try to get to their destination, all buying ice and other things in the mean time?

Very true and not to mention the ambulances trying to get through as well.

Very annoying when you are trying to have a quiet beer at one of those lovely bars

• 5 months later...

Latest rumour is that the widening has been called off.......all existing shop houses are renewing their leases....happy days!rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Not for everyone I suppose. Recently I saw a very large speedboat on a trailor trying to turn off the roundabout to head down that road. Took me a while to get around the circle because of the traffic buildup behind the boat.

Don't know how they managed to get it right down to the water as it seemed to be as wide as the street. Would have caused chaos with oncoming traffic and parked cars.