Red Shirts Rally In Bangkok, 6 Months On From Fatal Clash

webfact

'Red Shirts' rally in Bangkok, 6 months on from fatal clash

BANGKOK, October 10, 2010 (AFP) - About 6,000 "Red Shirt" protesters rallied in Bangkok Sunday to mark six months since a night of bloody clashes with the army, which left 25 people dead, during their two-month-long street protests.

Anti-government Red Shirts began with a Buddhist ceremony near the capital's Lumpini Park, before leaving to join fellow demonstrators near Democracy Monument, the main site of violence on April 10.

Police said an estimated 6,000 joined the non-violent rally, and more than 1,000 police were on hand to ensure security in the city, which has been rattled by a series of explosions since the protests ended in May.

The group, dressed in trademark red attire and carrying banners and flags, lay roses, flowers and pictures of those who died in the violence by the monument, where they were due to light candles before dispersing.

The Reds, mostly supporters of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a 2006 coup, took to the streets in mid-March demanding snap polls to replace the current government, which they say is undemocratic and elitist.

April 10 saw the first fatalities of the rally as troops attempted in vain to clear them from Bangkok's historic district.

The ensuing clashes were Thailand's worst political violence in almost two decades, killing 25 and wounding more than 800.

An army crackdown over a month later, on May 19, finally brought to an end the weeks of protests, during which clashes with the authorities ultimately left 91 people dead.

About 6,000 Reds, who are mainly poor and working class, gathered in Bangkok last month to mark four years since the coup that ousted Thaksin, and to commemorate those slain in the May crackdown.

The capital and three other provinces remain under emergency rule, which was introduced in early April in response to the mass anti-government rallies that peaked at 100,000 people.

Just hours after the decree was extended on Tuesday, four people were killed by a deadly blast at an apartment complex near Bangkok, which police said was a probably a bomb accidentally detonated while it was being assembled.

The government, which has stepped up security following a string of other minor blasts in Bangkok, was quick to blame the Red Shirts for the explosion.

The Reds deny any involvement in the unrest and have accused the authorities of a plot to justify tougher security powers.

Though no-one has been convicted, 19 senior Reds are currently in jail in Thailand on terrorism charges relating to the unrest during the protests, while others thought to have played key roles remain on the run.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-10

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the organisers of these rallies are just using the poor not so good educated people of thailand as a tool too achieve they`re goals and causing great harm to the rest of the peacefull living people and thailand.

Noooooo, never ........

I think the organisers of these rallies are just using the poor not so good educated people of thailand as a tool too achieve they`re goals and causing great harm to the rest of the peacefull living people and thailand.

Takes two hands to clap. These poor and uneducated people are willing to sell their birthrights for a few purple notes.

We are tired and sick of all these peoples wasting their time creating problems for our society. Perhaps they are being fool and brain wash by those leaders to gain benefit from their boss. Firstly the government shouldn't allowed them to demonstrate because BKK is still under SOE, otherwise it no use implementing SOE in our city of Angels. I am frustrated with them block the road every time when we are going out on Sunday and perhaps not safe too because they are violence peoples. We really hate the buffaloes touring the city...

Thought this was quite poignant given recent events:

RT @tulsathit: Only ab 10 ppl attended bomb's "victim" Samai Wongsuwan's funeral in Suphanburi - Thairath photo http://yfrog.com/9gqq5jj

That's weird. What with all those red-shirt-wearing terrorist supporters you'd have thought more than 10 would show up.

Or could it possibly be that not just most, but nearly all red shirt wearing demonstrators would also find fault with that man's actions just like any other normal human being would?

Over to you, red-shirt haters.

RT @tulsathit: Only ab 10 ppl attended bomb's "victim" Samai Wongsuwan's funeral in Suphanburi - Thairath photo http://yfrog.com/9gqq5jj

That's weird. What with all those red-shirt-wearing terrorist supporters you'd have thought more than 10 would show up.

Or could it possibly be that not just most, but nearly all red shirt wearing demonstrators would also find fault with that man's actions just like any other normal human being would?

It's interesting that the red leaders just disowned him, denying he was a red shirt supporter, rather than actually saying that what he did was bad.

took to the streets in mid-March demanding snap polls to replace the current government, which they say is undemocratic and elitist.

April 10 saw the first fatalities of the rally as troops attempted in vain to clear them from Bangkok's historic district.

The ensuing clashes were Thailand's worst political violence in almost two decades, killing 25 and wounding more than 800.

An army crackdown over a month later, on May 19, finally brought to an end the weeks of protests, during which clashes with the authorities ultimately left 91 people dead.

Back in mid-March to 19 May 2010, if they protested a lot more like they did today and on 19 September 2010, i.e. protesting for a duration of less than one day and then dispersing, then there would probably not have been any deaths in the first place and therefore there would be no need to irritatingly whine on about them. Without the deaths, they would have had to come up with some other big reasons to make these short protests, e.g. "bring back Thaksin".

By blaming the government for the deaths, they are using the deaths as a propaganda tool to paint the government as an evil dictatorship and to divert accountability.

Edited by hyperdimension

It's interesting that the red leaders just disowned him, denying he was a red shirt supporter, rather than actually saying that what he did was bad.

You mean they didn't say he was a bad red shirt but rather said these bombings are not that what the reds are standing for? What did you expect?

Anyway, i thought i could get a glimpse at the wreckers of civilisation and destroyer of the tourism industry on my sunday afternoon walk trough the Lumpini Park. But i didn't saw any of them, nor devastation nor other residents of the city of angels crying in pain because the Kalkis in a red dress must have been there before. All was normal life. Only here some people show some irrational fear.

You mean they didn't say he was a bad red shirt but rather said these bombings are not that what the reds are standing for? What did you expect?

<snip>

No, they didn't say these bombings are not what the reds are standing for. All they did was deny that he was a red shirt supporter, even with his history.

So you were expecting him to say that there isn't a possible reason, ever, in any situation imaginable, which could justify this kind of action? That's ridiculous. There are people living free from tyranny today with the help of home made bombs (e.g. French resistance in WW2 etc).

As a measure taken to further the red cause, the fact that the perpetrator was disowned says all that is required.

Edited by hanuman1

So I'm hi-so because I abhor this group of wasters? I think not.

Reckon this day was the perfect opportunity to remove 6,000 bad eggs from society... couple RPGs in among them. ;)

The asylum is being over run and the inmates WILL take over one day.You cannot surpress someone for ever,you cannot be racist against your own people for ever.Because the issan folks are dark(work the fields) and have smaller noses in general the hi-so nasty thai women are racist.The soap opera are portrayed as whites,when many are covered in that horrible whitener and have a white background for camera angles.I hate them with a pasion so can you imagine what someone is like when its happened to them all their life,and for generations

These people,right or wrong are ready to explode with rage due to the arrogance of the minority pompous brigade.Be worroed,be very worried

You Think:blink: .

Reckon this day was the perfect opportunity to remove 6,000 bad eggs from society... couple RPGs in among them. ;)

The asylum is being over run and the inmates WILL take over one day.You cannot surpress someone for ever,you cannot be racist against your own people for ever.Because the issan folks are dark(work the fields) and have smaller noses in general the hi-so nasty thai women are racist.The soap opera are portrayed as whites,when many are covered in that horrible whitener and have a white background for camera angles.I hate them with a pasion so can you imagine what someone is like when its happened to them all their life,and for generations

These people,right or wrong are ready to explode with rage due to the arrogance of the minority pompous brigade.Be worroed,be very worried

Agreed.

As a measure taken to further the red cause, the fact that the perpetrator was disowned says all that is required.

Indeed. It says that red leadership are cowards who will disavow the actions of their low-level minions who get caught so as not to be implicated.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

So you were expecting him to say that there isn't a possible reason, ever, in any situation imaginable, which could justify this kind of action? That's ridiculous. There are people living free from tyranny today with the help of home made bombs (e.g. French resistance in WW2 etc).

Yes. I believe he should have said that this wasn't justified. They are the ones talking about peace and reconciliation.

They should be making it clear that bombing is unacceptable, not just disowning the ones that get caught.

You are obviously showing you're support for the reds bombing campaign.

Indeed. It says that red leadership are cowards who will disavow the actions of their low-level minions who get caught so as not to be implicated.

What do you expect them to do?

Calling them cowards for not celebrating the bomb attacks is kinda an argument and logic that can only come from some disturbed mind of bomb planter.

Sending out the signal 'you don't belong to us' is the best they can do to prevent some future wannabe "heroes" for the red cause.

Or do you think every red shirt is a terrorist? Paranoia much here in some heads.

Agreed.

Jackr's post may be difficult for some to read, but there were certainly no racial overtones within it.

Interesting that the Red Shirts don't disassociate from the most lunatic in their bunch, Seh Daeng. Interesting that they don't denounce his violent ways or those of his still-living criminal associates and assistants, even those that have confessed to the Bhum Jai Thai Party headquarters, amongst others.

No, instead the Reds wanted to parade today to immortalize the mad man:

todayb.jpg

Thai anti-government protesters hold a portrait of renegade Thai Army General Khattiya Sawatdiphol as they move through downtown Bangkok, Thailand, Sunday, Oct. 10, 2010.

Edited by Buchholz

Are you seriously comparing the current situation in Thailand to nazi occupied France? That IS ridiculous. That is ludicrous. And you think denial is sufficient, when his wife has given a statement that he is an ardent follower? You havn't been taking your medication, have you?

Are you seriously comparing the current situation in Thailand to nazi occupied France? That IS ridiculous. That is ludicrous. And you think denial is sufficient, when his wife has given a statement that he is an ardent follower? You havn't been taking your medication, have you?

Is English your second language? If so, I congratulate you on attaining a high level of understanding. However, there are some nuances that still occasionally evade your understanding. Bringing up Nazi occupied France was a way to illustrate that there may in some situations be what reasonable men consider sufficient reason for making home made bombs. It was never offered as a comparison for what's happening here.

I'll put this confusion down to your incomplete understanding of English instead of the lazy, prejudiced and bigoted thinking of those who can't be bothered to ever contemplate they may not know all the facts behind any given situation.

P.S. If I ever really go crazy and declare I am an ardent fan of OzMick and that in his name I am prepared to kill a man, does that make you culpable? It seems you would dam_n yourself in this case.

Edited by hanuman1

Interesting that the Red Shirts don't disassociate from the most lunatic in their bunch, Seh Daeng. Interesting that they don't denounce his violent ways or those of his still-living criminal associates and assistants, even those that have confessed to the Bhum Jai Thai Party headquarters, amongst others.

No, instead the Reds wanted to parade today to immortalize the mad man:

todayb.jpg

Thai anti-government protesters hold a portrait of renegade Thai Army General Khattiya Sawatdiphol as they move through downtown Bangkok, Thailand, Sunday, Oct. 10, 2010.

Let's pause a moment to draw attention on Khun Khattiya headgear, as some of you may already know, it's adorned with grenade pins. One can't but wonder were the grenades those pins were attached to ended up...

"The Voice of Thaksin" -coincidentally Khattiya was claiming that title the days before his untimely (too late) death-, had this peace loving, reconciliatory front page on September 2009.

post-70157-063961800 1286727417_thumb.jp

Well, maybe we don't have to wonder too much after all.

Is English your second language? If so, I congratulate you on attaining a high level of understanding. However, there are some nuances that still occasionally evade your understanding. Bringing up Nazi occupied France was a way to illustrate that there may in some situations be what reasonable men consider sufficient reason for making home made bombs. It was never offered as a comparison for what's happening here.

I'll put this confusion down to your incomplete understanding of English instead of the lazy, prejudiced and bigoted thinking of those who can't be bothered to ever contemplate they may not know all the facts behind any given situation.

P.S. If I ever really go crazy and declare I am an ardent fan of OzMick and that in his name I am prepared to kill a man, does that make you culpable? It seems you would dam_n yourself in this case.

My English is quite adequate, thank you. Your logic is not. The man was a bomb-maker; you stated bomb-making is acceptable in some circumstances and gave an example; hence linkage to that example and the current situation.

if the Reds consider his actions unacceptable, they should state that. If they have no knowledge of him and his actions, they should state that. Flatly denying that he was ever a supporter, when all evidence suggests otherwise is simply stupid - but that is common to the movement.

As I have never asked anybody to kill, or burn down a city, or to begin an underground movement, feel free to kill in my name. I will simply state that I have no knowledge of this person whom I consider to be a mental defective.