Anybody Own The 2Wd 3L Vigo And 'Rear Access System' Crew Cab?

Hi there

I am considering buying the above vehicle shortly, when I settle in Thailand early next year.

Just wondered if you guys could share your experience of the vehicle......

Is the crew cab the same as the extra cab? If so, do you think this would have enough leg room in the back for a few little uns.

I have read the leg room is just shy of that available in the double cab - would you agree?

I was thinking of getting a hard cover for the rear - not the full hard top, just a horizontal lockable rolling retractable cover. How much extra are these to get fitted?

In terms of mpg I am working on around 35mpg - is this realistic?

I was thinking this vehicle over the Nissan Navara - would you agree?

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I don't have a Crew Cab/Rear Access System, but I bought a 4 door (Double Cab) 2WD PreRunner this year and looked at the crew cab as I like the idea, but after some more serious thought I dismissed it as a gimick as the 4 door is simply more practical and the pick-up bed in the 4 door is long enough for me.

The leg room is way short of that in the 4 door, which is similar to a good medium sized saloon. No comparison. The 4 door also has rear seat belts (and proper seats!) while as far as I can remember the Crew Cab doesn't, so this could make fitting child seats a problem.

Edit: 35 mpg is about right, possibly a bit better (11-12 kpl)

I have never seen a "rolling" cover here, except one which is fabric so hardly secure. Suitable makes for what you probably want are TopUp, Aeroklas and Carryboy, all of whom have web sites. Cost between 18,000 and 28,000 baht fitted and painted, depending on whether you want one which is manually or electrically operated.

There have been several threads here recently on the pros and cons of Nissan, Toyota, etc, so rather than repeat them take a look at the last two or three pages and, as Kwaki says, try them out for yourself.

Edited by JohnLeech

Smart cabs, King Cabs,Space cabs, Mega cabs et al are not meant to have seat belts and child seats in the back and extra leg room!!!. They are classed as commercial vehicles and taxed as two seater's, about 1050 Baht mine this year.

Loads of family then a double cab is the best bet,

just you & the wife, two seats will do, the extended family (lots of!) can hop in the fri**ing back, my two dogs have priority on our rear bench seat.

Remember the golden rule out here "up to you" - "your paying" ph34r.gif

my two dogs have priority on our rear bench seat.

^ That's kinda sad..

Back to the OP:

Most of your Q's have been answered already, but in regards to Vigo vs Navara, have a test drive, kick the wheels, and even ask your Mrs whether it'll have acceptable "street cred" in the hometown, and then decide for yourself. Navara has more power and better resale value, but lags in overall popularity (especially with the Toyota fanatics on this board, heh) :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

only a proper 4 door has legal rear seat, registered and insured for 5 people. 2+2 doors are registered and insured for 2 people only. There is not yet any crackdown on using rear bench in 2+2 door for passengers, but it is illegal to bring passengers in bed on expressway

and MRO a 2wd Navara has 144hp which is LESS power than Vigo 3,0, and approx same power as Vigo 2,5VN.:)

Edited by katabeachbum

Sorry, yes I should have been more specific.

Navara 2WD 2.5L makes 144HP/356Nm

Navara 4WD 2.5L makes 174HP/403Nm

Hilux 2.5L (no-I/C) makes 102HP/200Nm

Hilux 2.5L (I/C) makes 120HP/325Nm

Hilux 2.5L (VN) makes 144HP/343Nm

Hilux 3.0L (VN) makes 163HP/343Nm

While the top-spec 3.0L engine in Vigo 2WD has more power than Navara, it's still down on torque, and it's going to cost more to get that power..

In any case, we both know from all the kilometers we've driven around TH that no pickup is faster than a Navara 4WD.. ;) And a 144HP 6MT Navara easily takes a 144HP 5MT VN Hilux - they have a very noticeable acceleration advantage..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

only a proper 4 door has legal rear seat, registered and insured for 5 people. 2+2 doors are registered and insured for 2 people only.

Was curious about this, so have now checked the insurance policy for the extra-cab pickup I gave to my father-in-law - it's insured as a 3-seater (with Thanachart) - perhaps different insurers = different interpretations?

only a proper 4 door has legal rear seat, registered and insured for 5 people. 2+2 doors are registered and insured for 2 people only.

Was curious about this, so have now checked the insurance policy for the extra-cab pickup I gave to my father-in-law - it's insured as a 3-seater (with Thanachart) - perhaps different insurers = different interpretations?

od, what does the reg book say?