How Important Is Working To You?

I'm 39 with a pension and wondering if I shoud try to work or just enjoy watching the grass grow.

If you had the choice to live in Thailand without working for the rest of your life, would you do it?

If yes, why. If no, why.

It depends on how good you are at entertaining yourself. I will soon be 59 and have been living here and not working for almost 2 years. Most of my recreation in the past came from sports related activities. I have run a couple of marathons and looked forward to running with the Hash House Harriers for recreation and to meet people. But, on my 3rd run with the group I fell and somehow caused a back problem that has prevented me from running with them since then (over a year - I am able to run a bit on a treadmill but not on the countryside with the HHH group).

So, although I study Thai language 4 days a week and go to the fitness center almost everyday, I am a bit bored.

If you have activities that you enjoy and can keep you entertained 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you have sufficient financial resources, there is no reason you would have to work. But, 24/7 is a lot of time to fill.

Tiger,You and me have about the same age...more than six years now in Thailand...never think about working here, no time for that kind of things here.

I suppose that if I would need to work is much more better to do so in homecountry...

I think if you really have money enough to live without working it's impossible boring...it can be boring don't work and have 30000Bath for one month...

would love to be in your situation :o

You can try both, I guess working is also more fun, if you are able to say "no I stop" every day and your bank account isn't forcing you....

I'm 39 with a pension and wondering if I shoud try to work or just enjoy watching the grass grow.

If you had the choice to live in Thailand without working for the rest of your life, would you do it?

If yes, why. If no, why.

Both my wife and I work in LOS and have for 12 years now.Financially we dont need to as we have alternative income and security, but we both work for different reasons ie: we enjoy what we do, like the challenges, people we meet and work with etc.... It's more of an activity rather than a job.

Maybe my family is just good at goofing off....

My Dad retired 25 years ago to a small seaside town in California. As far as I can tell he does pretty much nothing all day: watch a little TV, read the newspapers, walk the dogs, putter in the garden, go out to eat, shop, etc. He seems wonderfully happy, never intends to work again and even gave up some of the hobbies (painting, sculpture) that he used to do to relax when he was employed.

I worked for the US Government for 32 years. I retired to Thailand four months ago. I'm pretty much the same. I'm perfectly happy goofing off all day. Sometimes I don't manage to shave until after noon. I'm never bored and have a zillion things that I want to do in the back of my mind.

I run and work out in the morning. I watch the news on TV. I get on the Internet and read some news and Thai Visa and a few other sites. I answer my e-mail. Sometimes I take a little bike ride. I read lots of books. The newspaper arrives around lunch time and takes a half hour or hour to read. We often watch a video or TV in the afternoon. Sometimes we go out to lunch at the Mall. We have a little garden that consumes an hour or so a day. In the evening we sit on the porch. I drink a few beers and she has an ice cream while we listen to music and enjoy the garden.

Frankly, I don't know where the time goes. Sometimes we laugh about how we seem to have less free time after retiring than we did while working.

I enjoy my new life very much. I hope I never work again.

I enjoy my new life very much. I hope I never work again.

I'm glad it's all working out for you Mike. :o

I'm in a slightly different situation as I'm working as well as living here. I lost all my material possesions some years ago in a divorce settlement back in Oz, and I cannot afford to retire yet. :D

Having said that, I think that Thailand is definitely where I will retire... one day.

:D

Well, I lost half my pension and half my stuff in a divorce, so I know where you're coming from. Fortunately, what's left is enough for me to have an easy and enjoyable life here in Korat. I hope things work out for you sooner or later.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of pension the OP is talking about. That, surely, must play a part in the decision.

I'm 41 next month and am juggling with the same kind of thoughts at the moment. I'm in a well-paid job in Bkk, but just yearn to semi-retire, probably to another - cheaper -city like Chiang Mai. I'm at the point where my savings and property in NZ would generate something like 75,000 a month if I just decided to stop working and - if I made the money work harder - could probably increase that to 90,000.

Rationally, I know that is more than enough to live somewhere for several months, relax and decide if I want to stop working altogether or find something to amuse myself more to my liking - a hobby job, for example.

Yet I don't. Why? I'm convinced it's some kind of protestant work ethic which makes me worried that I'll be on a slippery slope to ruin if I don't go through the rigour of a disciplined and work-oriented approach to life.

However, the longer I stay here, the weaker that feeling is.

Ironically, being in LOS has actually made me wish I was older than I am. If I was 50-55 and in the same situation, I wouldn't think twice about giving it up.

Well, I lost half my pension and half my stuff in a divorce, so I know where you're coming from. Fortunately, what's left is enough for me to have an easy and enjoyable life here in Korat. I hope things work out for you sooner or later.

It will... I am sure of that... I will make it happen.

:o

I'd be interested to hear what kind of pension the OP is talking about. That, surely, must play a part in the decision.

Currently, I am retired from the US Military. My pension is only worth a little more than 50,000 baht a month but its enough to live a nice quiet country life.

I don't know if I should be be greedy and try to get more or just enjoy the sunsets and stars at night out in the coutryside of Thailand.

The only reason I can see to work is the benifits that come alone with a work permit and different visa. Other than that, I think I am content.

Right now I have been here for about 15 months on a tourist visa. Thats not 15 months straight. I still do the required visa runs to update my visa as required by Thai law.

I imagine one day that might get boring. Right now, I am still new to the LOS and still excited to be here; however, every now and then I do wonder if I should be doing more.

Both my wife and I work in LOS and have for 12 years now.Financially we dont need to as we have alternative income and security, but we both work for different reasons ie: we enjoy what we do, like the challenges, people we meet and work with etc.... It's more of an activity rather than a job.

It's the same for us. I think I would go bonkers without the work. I need constant mental stimulation and a challenge which my job supplies in abundance. I'm very fortunate that my vocation and advocation are one and the same. I also don't need to work but want to for the above reasons.

Well, obviously you can live easily and relatively well in Korat on 50,000 a month. I guess you're facing the same internal questions as I am, except for one fundamental difference: I'm assuming you're not currently working so wouldnt be giving something up. I, on the other hand, would have to make the conscious decision to forego my current lifestyle for something very different.

It's an interesting dilemna, isnt it?

Whatever you choose to do, nothing is irreversible. If you've been here 18 months already, it seems you're finding things to do to keep you sane. If you can afford to be sabai sabai for the time being, there is nothing stopping you from looking around for a job, small business or other way of earning a crust when you feel you want to. Even if you have another 3 years doing nothing, you'll still be a young guy, so whatever decision you make won't necessarily be the wrong one for you.

I wish you well. And I envy you.

Incredible isn't it? 40 year old guys being able to retire in paradise. If only bendix at 16 could have imagined the future.

Richard; some good thoughts.

I am in my 30ties and have worked all over the world (mostly Asia) as an expat and have now decided to take a sabatical year - or maybe longer. :o

For the cost of BKK I could probably live of working (eh...in Thailand that would be "playing") with my investments/real estate only being my hobby and educational background anyways.

I do not see myself go bonkers at ALL but if it happens one can as another poster mentioned jump back into full time work.

It is a fantastic feeling having the time to properly read the news paper, not rush through the gym Incl. that sauna and steam, hang and read at the pool, socialize also on weekdays evenings(which the Thais do much more than we seem to do back home where we worry about the next work day), reading books, seeing friends, not having to travel to islands in the weekend only, doing visa runs mid week :D and so forth. Oh; going partying without feeling bad about the hang over in office next day is certainly a bonus too!

I might want to work again - it should be with investments, but my own investment income means I have the FREEDOM to decide the terms.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

This for the replies everyone. I am kinda leaning towards not ever working again.

With things as cheap as they are in the LOS it definitly makes sence to build my little castle here in Thailand (even if it is in my wifes name). Prices for things 20 to 30 km from Cambodia are extremely attractive.

I think the work I will do will be in and around the house. You know...work on my favorite position on the couch or the sprint to the fridge for that extra beer and things of that nature.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck in their retirement plans as well.

You have a Thai wife? Why are you on tourist visas then? Go get yourself an O visa which will reduce the visa runs to every 90 days! And, if you are transferring enough $$$ into Thailand, you can document that and try to get the annual extension. Save some money on visa runs and also have even less stress in your early retirement. :o

Me, I'm 31 and trying to keep working w/ western companies as a consultant. I guess money is the primary driver, because lately I am not sure the work is keeping me sane or driving me crazy... however, we're in different circumstances as I am here because my wife needs to be, not because I wanted to unplug from life in the west.

One thing to keep in mind is the value of a work permit. It helps you get a driver's licence, buy certain things, open some kinds of bank accounts and credit lines.

I don't recall how you can get a driver's license without a work permit. Maybe someone can remind me, if it is possible.

So, it might be worthwhile working for a while just for that.

Also, once you know a little Thai, taking some kind of job where you work with Thais will help you understand the culture a little more - and perhaps help you appreciate and enjoy your retirement after you are finished with working! :o

Seriously, some people find working in Thailand to be a nice, social hobby, and way to learn about this part of the world. Not needing to work to survive would make that more enjoyable, I'd think. Good to have options.

If yes, why. If no, why.

for me, I prefer to work, i believe that work make people have valueable , and im enjoy to work, i think i will work till 50-60's

anyhow, live without work it'd be nice but just for short period ..after that it must be boring

work sometime, rest sometime .. that's the best ,IMHO

Bambi :o

If yes, why. If no, why.

for me, I prefer to work, i believe that work make people have valueable , and im enjoy to work, i think i will work till 50-60's

anyhow, live without work it'd be nice but just for short period ..after that it must be boring

work sometime, rest sometime .. that's the best ,IMHO

Bambi :D

I agree Bambi, couch potatoes, really seems like life passes them by...prefer to pass it by in front of the net! So I a must be a Net potato! :o

Edited by lopburiguy

This for the replies everyone. I am kinda leaning towards not ever working again.

With things as cheap as they are in the LOS it definitly makes sence to build my little castle here in Thailand (even if it is in my wifes name). Prices for things 20 to 30 km from Cambodia are extremely attractive.

I think the work I will do will be in and around the house. You know...work on my favorite position on the couch or the sprint to the fridge for that extra beer and things of that nature.

That's the kind of work I do...... :o

Get yourself a maid and cut out that sprint to the fridge and get her to serve your beer! :D !

It's job creation, don't you know.... :D

That's the kind of work I do...... :o

Get yourself a maid and cut out that sprint to the fridge and get her to serve your beer! :D !

It's job creation, don't you know.... :D

Why pay a Maid, "put the fridge next to the couch"!!!

Easy :D

If yes, why. If no, why.

I am about ten years younger than you and would love to have the option of not working at the age of 40. However, I don"t think this will happen because even if I did, I would want to keep myself occupied with something I like doing. Be it starting up a small business or working for someone. Technically, it'll be work but if you enjoy what you're doing it could be a "hobby" with income.

Another reason that I wouldn't 'retire" is because the more money I have, the more people I can help. Mainly, other less fortunate family members. This feeling could possibly be because I am a little "well off" compared to some other family members. Not that they're lazy or not working. Maybe in the wrong place at the wromg time or not as lucky in the business side of things. The thought of being able to give my nephews or nieces a ticket to come to thailand. Buying my mum something she could never afford, helping the in laws or something along the lines of this. It could be anything,.. basically because I feel I can, I should help out. :o

Financial independance which Richard has (within reason) is more important to me than not working. When one is financially independant one is in a much stronger position to chose to do "work" that makes one happy.

That "work" can be what we consider "real work" but can also be; reading, learning, relaxing,volunteering, doing sports, socializing and a bundle of other things we often remove/reduce due to "real" work.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

I'm not sure what your savings are like but I'm taking a guess they' ll take a big hit once you and the Mrs build a house. I'd say ask yourself

'Is 50K a month really enough for my future?

Whether this is for overseas travel, medical, to look after yourself 30 years from now whatever.

I'm in agreement with you that living somewhere with the exchange rate is in your favour makes sense when your on a US pension. Will this be the same in 10 years - who knows? Prior to crash in 97 the favourable exchange rate was much much less favourable. Could the Exchange rate go back to pre-97? Possibly.

Just my opinion but get yourself a part-time gig or hobby business that keeps you ticking over, live on 20K and put the remainding 30K of your pension in the bank / savings / elsewhere...

Edited by Ted

All longer term visas (not tourist) can get Thai DL.

Tourists can (normally) use national DL for 3 months (which technically re-starts at visa runs) but I would get myself the internat. DL from home country (due to insurances Etc) send yearly (some embassies have that service). Cheers!

I don't recall how you can get a driver's license without a work permit. Maybe someone can remind me, if it is possible.

Yes, you can get one with non "O" visa as well.

You have a Thai wife?  Why are you on tourist visas then? 

And, if you are transferring enough $$$ into Thailand, you can document that and try to get the annual extension.

I get married in August.

My money goes to a bank account in California. I use my ATM card to withdraw it from ATMs all over Thailand.

One thing to keep in mind is the value of a work permit.

I agree about needing a drivers license and buying certian types of things. I thought with the right visa I could get those things. The visa I am hoping to solve many of those problems is the dependency visa.

No offence, but it sounds boring listening to people who do nothing....Not MY idea of life....

:o

I understand your point but after being in the army for 20 years, my idea of life is a very slow and simple one where I am happy to be alive. :D

If yes, why. If no, why.

Another reason that I wouldn't 'retire" is because the more money I have, the more people I can help.

As far as working goes, I think I like your reason the best. To help others.

I'm not sure what your savings are like but I'm taking a guess they' ll take a big hit once you and the Mrs build a house. I'd say ask yourself

'Is 50K a month really enough for my future?

Is 50K enough? I don't know. I hope so.

As far as my house goes....I'm not looking to build one of them huge eye catching homes. Where I will live and the cost of labor is not too expensive. I am watching someone build a house now and they are doing it for under 300,000 baht. It looks nice to me. Life outside of the big city is a lot more affordable than in it.

Life is a gamble. When I moved to Thailand I left everything behind. I don't plan on returning. If things fail here there are pleanty of other places to explore. But I am being very careful with my plans here in Thailand.

Will the exchange rate hold out? Maybe and Maybe not.

I am thinking about giving my future wife the financial resources to more or less farm the sorrounding areas. As a farang, I know I can't. She is Thai so she can. Farming is one of them jobs in Thailand that farangs are not allowed to do.

Perhaps letting her invest in the local agriculture would be the best thing to do. It would be a way providing a few jobs to some of the people living around me.