Tips On Buying/registering A Used Motorbike?

i need to buy a motorbike and though i have ridden them before i don't know much about what to look for in one that i am buying. my thai friend says if i get a used one it should still be good quality, because thais like to upgrade to the latest model so they often don't use theirs for long before they sell it. i don't have a driver's license, is that bad? :o what about registration papers and stuff, how does it work here?

i don't have a driver's license, is that bad?

:D:D surely you jest ??? it's only a bad thing when you get caught without one..and the police officer you're dealing with doesn't except the tea money.. insisting instead that you go and pay the fine at the station.. :D

Or if you have an accident and find out ( that because of no licence) you also have no insurance.... If your going to drive in Bangkok..with no licence :D:o pretty risky.

As for the paperwork.. I think the shop selling it to you can help out with all of that ( for a small fee of course ) you may need to show your address confirmed by imigration ( same bit of paper could be used for the drivers licence and bank account etc...)

I got a second hand Kawasaki Leo (119 cc) for 9000 Baht ( but it's not registered in my name ) a year ago, it's in far from perfect condition .. very reliable and gets the job done A ---> B

Second hand bikes are cheap...why on earth second hand cars defy all rules of logic, ( price wise ) is another matter.

I'm certainly not an expert...but you can generaly tell if a bike has been looked after, otherwise they just look shabby..test to see if everything works... ask to take it for a test drive..notice before hand if the engine is warm or not...if it's cold then good how easily does the bike start ?..are there big clouds of smoke comming out of the exhaust ?

listen to the engine any strange sounds ? if there are then look for another bike !!!

If things seem ok then test drive it... does everything feel "loose" it's been well used...make sure you use every gear...do some hard braking and cornering (if posible...don't fall off :D:D )

Then weigh up the the pros and cons.. it's certainly possible to get a good deal on secondhand bikes...just remember " BUYER BEWARE "

If you want more peace of mind then maybe a brand new bike would be the better option ( they aren't really expensive )

If your checking out a bike for the first time take an objective friend too. They will not be blinded to any faults if they have no interest in the bike.

Start from the front and work back.

Tyres, do they look good, correct pressure?

Brakes, do they work? I have never come across a Thai front brake that works properly. Crazy as this does 75% of your braking in emergency.

Are there any scuffs on the levers/bar ends? Sure sign it's been down the road.

Do the forks slide up and down smoothly when you pump them?

Check for steering head wear, grab the forks and pull back and forth.

Any sign of oil on the fork legs? Seals blown if there is.

Check the oil in the engine. Most Thais I know don't seem to know what an oil change is. If it's black the engine will have a shortened life. Also has the filter been changed recently, doubt it!

Check the wheel bearings, just grab the front and back of the wheel and push-pull. You should feel no movement.

Check the drive chain for wear, you should not be able to pull it from the sprocket and it should be well greased.

Chains are easy to look after and if they are not well cared for is a general indicator of the condition of a bike.

Does the exhaust blow?

Do all the electrics work?

What's your gut reaction? Are you happy about the bike?

Finally has any finance been settled?

As for the paperwork.. I think the shop selling it to you can help out with all of that ( for a small fee of course ) you may need to show your address confirmed by imigration ( same bit of paper could be used for the drivers licence and bank account etc...)

I was in the process of buying a new Yamaha Mio and I told the dealer that I had no License first he said I need one to buy the bike as I left they came after me saying they could sell to me with out one we could not get together on the price so I passed but as far as needing a License they will sell to you if you are paying cash no question.

Have bought several older motorcycles/runabouts for 2000-5000b in quite rough condition.All needed rebuilding to some degree two had complete strip down rebuilds including rebores,b/ends,mains etc .All had new batteries and switch gear, tyres,tubes,new seats or covers some had new rims and plastics as well and all had new paint and stickers.Point is they all came in well under 10,000b each the cheapest came in under 7000b repairs are very cheap and can be done well if you find a good repairman.So even at the worse you won't go too far wrong.