D'Town Inn - Thung Hoel Road, Watket

mamborobert

Folks I have to arrange a place near McCormick Hospital for a friend for a few months. D'Town was suggested as a good choice. Does anybody have any experiences with this place, positive and negative. Any info would be very much appreciated. Likewise if anyone knows some reasonable places near Dara Academy, McCormick or better still on Thung Hotel or one of its Soi's that would be great too. Have tried all the usual google searches, tripadvisor etc but it seems that this area of town does not have that much coverage and D'Town seems to stay under the wire. Thanks in advance...

Can't tell you much about the hotel (other than it has a pool!!) but can tell you about the neighborhood as I live right around the corner. The area looks a bit decrepit but the people and local businesses are nothing short of lovely. There is a food stall just down the road, in front of the local 7-11 that is putting out some of the best Thai food I've ever had, a hidden gem.

When I first moved here I stayed at the CCT (yeah, that would be Church of Christ Thailand) guest house right next door to the Prince Royal pitch. I think its on Chetuphon Road, but not exactly sure of that. It is right around the corner, walking distance, from McCormick (and you have to pass one of the best khao mein gai places in the city) and Pun Pun's is walking distance in the other direction. It is clean, gated, and there was absolutely nothing overtly Christian about it. The area gets a bit more traffic so it would be easier to get a songtaew or tuk tuk there. It gets a bit clustered when school lets out because CMIS and Prince Royal are right on top of it.

I have stayed at the Downtown Inn Hotel 5 times.

It is a budget Hotel, with a breakfast.

It is Air-conditioned in the rooms.

The staff are great and they know me now and always help with any requests.

The Hotel is close to the Anusarn Night Market, where you can eat your favourite food.

Up the road to the Night Bazzar you can have McDonalds, Bergerking, Subway, Starbucks.

The McCormick Hospital is good i had the need to use them on my first trip.

It has been recommended by several of me Thai friends.

If you need any specific information on this area, do not hesitate to contact me.

Yes the Pun Pun is a guest house.

We called into to see the owner, and a bite to eat, the other week when we were in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Lizard2010

My first time to CNX, in 2004 I stayed there through www.asiatravel.com

It worked out to about 9 usd per night then. Findley staff, no problem with "guests."

Too close to night bazaar and some other elements I want nothing to do with.

The a/c sucked, but the room was very nice, and the staff were friendly.

For 330 THB you can stay at New Mitrapap, and McCormick/Arcade is walkable across the bridge.

a/c fridge/cable/nice staff good security--needs a paint job, and I have seen a few dried boogers on the wall. Excellent value.

Edited by Thighlander

Smith Tower on the corner of Kaewnawarat Road and Bumrungrat Road is worth checking. It's a 5-minute walk from McCormick.

Many thanks for that Loaded. I was going to look at that but seem to recall some negative somments about the Smith Residences on the board before (but then again I could well have a faulty recollection).

Thanks also to the other posters (especialy Lis41)..The food there is great and I regularly eat at a place on Thung Hotel Rd at the McCormick end. Stumbled across it when I was getting a car serviced at garage opposite and had an hour to kill. Great feed and great company....and all at Thai prices. It is really is remarkable the price up for beer and soft drinks from a Thai place to anything on Loi Kroh (400% plus). Its not aCheap Charlie thing but you are paying almost Western Prices for some stuff and the cost price for the seller is Thai based....

Also please note that D'Town Inn and Downtown Inn are two different places...one near night market one on Thung Hotel Road. I am particularly interested in D'Town Inn but it seems more of a long stay condo/apartment system and as such does not seem to have a good web site, booking agent etc.

In general I do agree that there are a lot better places than the Dowtown Inn near the Night Market though.....never a good choice IMHO.

Once again thanks to all so far....