New Nyc Style Jewish Deli Menu Plus Wine Bar/Gallery Opens

Jingthing

To any here that would rather give advice/criticize/complain but haven't even been to SL, you are really missing the boat!

Yep...seem to be so many of them around here...anything beyond balloon-chasing and 7-11 they don't see the point. I got similar reactions on my recent "best bakery" post :rolleyes:

Edited by FarangBuddha

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear about all the excitement about this place. Note the excitement is about the NEW YORK DELI portion of the new enterprise. No surprise there. I hope the general public realizes they have this offering. Not sure how most of them will though given the current marketing. Nope, not budging from this point of view, so sue me.

Not sure how most of them will though given the current marketing. Nope, not budging from this point of view, so sue me.

If Richard changed the marketing, would you go there and actually try the place...rather than just firing arrows from behind a bush :rolleyes:

Edited by FarangBuddha

<br />Glad to hear about all the excitement about this place. Note the excitement is about the NEW YORK DELI portion of the new enterprise. No surprise there. I hope the general public realizes they have this offering. Not sure how most of them will though given the current marketing. Nope, not budging from this point of view, so sue me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Where does this "New York" handle keep popping up from? I thought Mr Richard said clearly in an earlier post that it was "Deli", not "NY Deli". But go ahead, keep harping on it, maybe you'll force them to add NY. (Does it really matter a whit whether it's a NY deli, a Poughkeepsie deli, or simply a deli?)

But I digress...I "took out" Calamari rings, pea soup, shrimp jambalaya, and a greek salad, which I ordered not (I repeat not) from the Deli (not NY Deli) menu, but from the hot menu. The calamari rings were tender and delicious, as was it's zesty "cocktail" dipping sauce, the soup was creamy and dreamy, the wifey vacuumed the shrimps and greek salad with a chesire grin before I could even try them. So JT, you're wrong in saying "all the excitement...is about the Deli portion of the new enterprise.

OMG. The jambalaya is from the kitchen of NEW ORLEANS CAFE. A different restaurant, that item has been on the menu there for yonks years. Glad you are exited, but that's NOTHING NEW.

Also I think the GREEK SALAD, also from the ancient menu of the New Orleans Cafe. The calamari as well.

http://www.cafeneworleans.info/?page=menu#salads

JAMBALAYA

A highly seasoned Cajun-Creole specialty, the name derives from the French "jambon" which means ham the African "ya" meaning rice. The French words "a la" means on the top, which give Jambalaya, our house specialty.

#

CHICKEN, PORK AND SAUSAGE - 295

#

SEAFOOD - 325

Shrimps, crab, mussels and fish

CAJUN CALAMARI - 175

Calamari deep-fried in home-style batter with old-fashioned sauce.

GREEK SALAD - 215

The classic salad with black olives, feta cheese and an authentic vinaigrette a la Grecque.

Edited by Jingthing

<br />OMG. The jambalaya is from the kitchen of NEW ORLEANS CAFE. A different restaurant, that item has been on the menu there for yonks years. Glad you are exited, but that's NOTHING NEW.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Though a good jambalaya does get me excited, I didn't get to try it. Does something have to be new to be exciting? I had Lamb Medallions at CNO a few weeks ago. They were the best gawd amn lamb I've ever eaten, and I've had it all over the world. I have no clue how long they have been on the menu, and couldn't care less. Same goes for the Blue Cheese dip I had with a raw veggie plate. It was tied with the best Blue Cheese dip or dressing I ever had. Do I give a fiddler's fart if they were "on the menu for yonks years", or "good value"? Nope! My wallet doesn't determine "good value" for me, my taste buds, and pleasure centers do. If my wallet determined "good value" for me, I'd probably eat every meal at supermarket food courts, Mc D's, and the Thai chuckwagons here. How could anyone expect "good value" on something of the very best quality that must be imported, such as prime lamb, blue cheese, aged Italian salami, etc????? Those fine foods aren't cheap even in the country they're made in!

I wasn't referring to the price, though I am sure it is indeed a large factor for many people. I was referring to the fact that those items are nothing new and not even from the kitchen of the new enterprise. Cheers.

Look, buster, glad you are happy, and I acknowledge you have every right to your point of view. However, you aren't going to change my mind about the oddness of the marketing strategy of this new enterprise which I am quite confident will go over the heads of the vast majority of the public, who may indeed be very interested in the novelty of the DELI offerings of the menu. But how are most people supposed to KNOW about that part of it? New Orleans Cafe, you KNOW instantly the big sell of the restaurant are the New Orleans style offerings, that's the feature, that's the star, but that doesn't mean they can't offer other things as well. Same difference, it is clear the STAR of the new place is most logically the DELI offerings.

Edited by Jingthing

<br />I wasn't referring to the price, though I am sure it is indeed a large factor for many people. I was referring to the fact that those items are nothing new and not even from the kitchen of the new enterprise.  Cheers.<br /><br />Look, buster, glad you are happy, and I acknowledge you have every right to your point of view. However, you aren't going to change my mind about the oddness of the marketing strategy of this new enterprise which I am quite confident will go over the heads of the vast majority of the public, who may indeed be very interested in the novelty of the DELI offerings of the menu. But how are most people supposed to KNOW about that part of it? New Orleans Cafe, you KNOW instantly the big sell of the restaurant are the New Orleans style offerings, that's the feature, that's the star, but that doesn't mean they can't offer other things as well. Same difference, it is clear the STAR of the new place is most logically the DELI offerings.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I do agree with you to the degree that for me, the "star" is the deli stuff. But I am happy that there are other tasty things on the menu, the combination gives me good variety to choose from. Buster?....easy there, cowboy. Ya seem a bit tetchy, you probably just need a good Reuben sandwich.