Validity Of Passport - Urgent!

jklup

I'm a Brit but live in Italy. I am going to Thailand with my Italian husband, arriving on 18 August, leaving 4th September.

While there, we want to fly to Cambodia for a few days (haven't booked yet), probably around 22-26 August.

My husband's passport runs out on 17 Feb 2005.

So I am really worried about the 6 month residual validity on the passport rule.

I think you are supposed to have 6 months left to run on your passport on the date you enter the country (although some places seem to mention the date you are due to leave).

My husband has asked at the police station where they renew passports in Rome, and they say not to worry, it's not like it runs out in September or October.

And besides, it would take a month to renew it now.

I'm really worried as I don't know whether the police know for SURE it's not a problem, or are just being Italian (!), and whether Thai and Cambodian officials apply the rule to the letter and could refuse my husband entry............

I am going to try to contact the Thai and Cambodian embassies in Rome when they open again tomorrow morning (I hope!), but has anyone had a similar experience or can confirm at least whether they count 6 months from arrival or from departure (even if both are officially under 6 months for my hubbie).

Help!!!!!!!!!!

:o

"My husband's passport runs out on 17 Feb 2005."

I am sure it is just a typo, but you had better check that the passport runs out 17 Feb 2006 not 2005 otherwise the passport is currently expired..

Thank for your reply.

However I managed to contact the Thai embassy in Rome and they said well sorry a rule is a rule. Actually his passport runs out 15 Feb 2006, not 17th Feb 2005 which I think I said! but it's so frustrating it just being a matter of a few days/weeks.

We hadn't been too worried as my brother-in-law told us you can get your passport renewed here in 2 days.... seems that things have recently changed here so now we have to find some way to get it done before we leave and I don't know if that's possible :o

I WANT TO GO TO THAILAND AND CAMBODIA!!!!!!!!

Why not get a new passport? I'm going to do that in a few weeks even though it has 10 months to run.

Now I have discovered that there definitely could be a problem, having talked to the Thai embassy, the problem is the time it takes getting the passport renewed. I have managed to speak to someone on the phone and he said 20 days, which is better than 1 month we were told earlier.... but I am really worried we won't get it in time. We leave 17 august, the 15th is a public holiday here in Italy, they'll be busier anyway at this time of year.... what a mess :o

It should not be a problem with Thailand; as I said above. All you need is a 30 day entry stamp at airport and you do not have to have 6 months remaining on passport to receive that (unless there has been a very recent change that IATA is not aware of).

What the Embassy says is true for obtaining a visa from them. But it is not the policy of the Immigration Police who provide the visa free entry service for a 30 day stay.

I/m with Lopburi3 on this one..............the 6 month validity rule is only for those people coming to Thailand on Tourist visa's and not those arriving and recieving a 30 day stamp. See below the requirements as listed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

2. TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wishing to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- One recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Air ticket paid in full

- Financial means (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary

:D As opposed to this...........

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002) ,18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005) , passport holders from 40 countries and Hong Kong SAR do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed 30 days.

- The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- Please also be advised that ordinary passport holders of 40 countries and Hong Kong who intend to engage in certain activities are eligible to apply for a visa when entering the Kingdom if their qualifications meet the conditions set forth by the Office of Immigration Bureau. For more information, please contact the Office of Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel. (662) 287-3101-10 or at website http://police.go.th

• List of 40 countries and one region is as follows:

39. United Kingdom : United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

:D Your problem will be Cambodia :o

That's interesting. :o

But if even the Thai Embassy couldn't put my mind at rest, what was I supposed to think!

Today we are going to try a different place to get it renewed. If it will still take too long, well in that case, we'll just leave it and go to Thailand and forget Cambodia. I had been planning to book some airpass flights which I haven't done yet, fortunately..... but I would be very disappointed not to see A. Wat and P.P.

So it looks more hopeful that he could get into Thailand. :D

Thank you all for your help and interest! I'll let you know...........

:D

After driving all over the Rome area, my husband has finally found a place that is a) open

:D able to renew it in 10 days!!!!

Thailand and Cambodia...... here we come!!! :D

Thanks to all again :o

I went to Thailand with less than 6 months left on my U.S. passport. I was worried at first but the officials at immigration services assured me that for the "30 days on arrival" visa from the listed countries (I assume USA, UK, etc) only has to be valid to the day you leave. (i.e. if you have 15 days left, they will give you a visa for 15 days and you'll probably have to show your return ticket.)

After talking to him and asking similar question repeatedly, I was relieved and decided to not try to extend my passport with the 15 days I have.

Please remember that U.S. is one of the countries which tourists entering Thailand receive on arrival 30 days visa. If your country isn't listed, you should get your visa ahead of time OR some people can apply for visa upon arrival - but in this case, you will need to have 6 months validation. I've been told by the officials there that they have refused Chinese citizen the visa because their passport expiration is too soon. i think the cost for the application is 1000BTH (~25USD) plus photo cost (2-3USD).

These are my personal experiences.