Thai Tradespeople.

elkangorito

In 1999 I was working on a large power project here in Thailand, which had an almost 100% Thai workforce and the quality and speed of work was excellent.

Our company had a similar one going on in the UK, with a British workfoce, which was running into all sorts of delays and cost over runs, so I was asked to go and see if I could help out.

When I got there I was amazed at the slow pace, poor quality workmanship and just the general "I don't give a shit" attitude of the workforce.

The work hours were something like 07:00 to 16:00 with a one hour lunch break, but it soon became clear to me that we were lucky to get three hours of average to poor quality work.

I rotated between the two projects for ten months and the difference was like day and night.

And what were the reasons for these cost overruns? Underquoted for the work ? other sub contractors? Why were you not working a 12 hour day?

Poor management? there are numerous reasons for cost overruns and they are not all labour related. An 8 hour day/ 5 day week is not much incentive for a constuction worker.

Generally they did work 12 hours, 4 hours which was overtime and Saturday;s and a split shift on a Sunday.

The main problem was that the site was what in the UK is known as a "Blue Book Site", which gives the trade unions a great deal of power.

But that aside what really disappointed me was the quality of work

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be great on ThaiVisa is a list of competent, reliable, skilled engineers for most services including electrical work, plumbing, wooden flooring, construction, as well as the more unusual trades such as stainless steel fabrication (for kitchens and bars etc).

And 2 pages later and still not a recommendation...................what does that tell you?

What would be great on ThaiVisa is a list of competent, reliable, skilled engineers for most services including electrical work, plumbing, wooden flooring, construction, as well as the more unusual trades such as stainless steel fabrication (for kitchens and bars etc).

And 2 pages later and still not a recommendation...................what does that tell you?

It tells me that you didn't read the Opening Post, because at no time does it call for recommendations!

It tells me that you didn't read the Opening Post, because at no time does it call for recommendations!

It tells me there arent many about, I had some "painters" do a room for me this year, when they had finsihed there was more paint on the floor and light fittings than on the walls, they missed various areas used no drop sheets and miles of masking tape something you dont really need if your any good.

It tells me there arent many about, I had some "painters" do a room for me this year, when they had finsihed there was more paint on the floor and light fittings than on the walls, they missed various areas used no drop sheets and miles of masking tape something you dont really need if your any good.

And who do you think does the paint work in Thailand's world class hotels and resorts?

And who do you think does the paint work in Thailand's world class hotels and resorts?

Paradon made it to the world top of tennis..........does that mean that Thais are top tennis players??

Paradon made it to the world top of tennis..........does that mean that Thais are top tennis players??

No but it demonstrates that Thais can be top tennis players.

Just like the thousands of Thais working in the construction industry building first class hotels, spas, condos, shopping centers - Not to mention the faith Honda, Toyota et al have in Thai workers.

Some expat falls off a bar stool, bangs his head and decides in his fully p1ssed and semi concussed state to build a house, hires the cheapest workers he can find, who he can't in anycase communicate with, winds up getting the sh1t build he paid for (and failed to manage) and now condemns all Thai tradesmen.

The issue is not a generalization made from the example of a top Tennis player, the issue is the condemnation of a whole nation of people on the basis of cheap charlie building plans........ That and the vested interest of Farang 'Tradesmen' who delight in condemning Thai workers so that more business can be brought their way.

No but it demonstrates that Thais can be top tennis players.

Just like the thousands of Thais working in the construction industry building first class hotels, spas, condos, shopping centers - Not to mention the faith Honda, Toyota et al have in Thai workers.

Some expat falls off a bar stool, bangs his head and decides in his fully p1ssed and semi concussed state to build a house, hires the cheapest workers he can find, who he can't in anycase communicate with, winds up getting the sh1t build he paid for (and failed to manage) and now condemns all Thai tradesmen.

The issue is not a generalization made from the example of a top Tennis player, the issue is the condemnation of a whole nation of people on the basis of cheap charlie building plans........ That and the vested interest of Farang 'Tradesmen' who delight in condemning Thai workers so that more business can be brought their way.

Ever wondered why the big Thai construction company's prefer Cambodian workers over their own nationals?

Oh and would actually be a shame if one of the biggest nations in the world with over 60 million citizens could not produce even 1 top tennis player.

Edited by basjke

Ever wondered why the big Thai construction company's prefer Cambodian workers over their own nationals?

Not the big Thai construction companies I've actually worked with (as in completed projects with).

What's your actual experience of working with Thai construction workers ?

Not the big Thai construction companies I've actually worked with (as in completed projects with).

I'm talking about the construction companies which are building the endless amount of condo's in Thailand,not companies working abroad,who are in the news every other day because they got caught with cambodian or burmese labour.

I'm talking about the construction companies which are building the endless amount of condo's in Thailand,not companies working abroad,who are in the news every other day because they got caught with cambodian or burmese labour.

So erm....... No experience of working with Thai construction workers .... Treat yourself to another Chang.

Oh and forgot to answer your question what my experience with Thai construction workers is.I'm currently building a house and everything has been redone 3 times already before it was to an acceptable standard.We're about half way building now.

Oh and forgot to answer your question what my experience with Thai construction workers is.I'm currently building a house and everything has been redone 3 times already before it was to an acceptable standard.We're about half way building now.

Refer Post #37 above.

Refer Post #37 above.

Ok I got it.Thais are a superior race and farangs are <deleted>.

Are you Thai by any chance or is it only Thaier than Thais.

I've had a house built without any real issues, apart from taking longer than planned. Over the years I've had the usual things done, aircon fitted, hot shower unit installed, few additional electrical sockets and never had an issue. Had my house repainted a couple of years ago and once again a perfectly acceptable job. Certainly cannot complain about the cost. I do make a point of only using tradesmen who have been recommended to me.

Ok i will give it a try, to find an answer to a local question it is better to think as a local, so , in this case i believe the guests of the hotels and resorts are doing the paint works, because the owners are so clever and outsmarted the rest of the world with these innovating ideas, they not only get the rooms full but also save money on the paint and workmanship, sawatdeee craaaap :jap: :lol:

Ah ah :D yes you got to love them, been there, done that.... it doesn't matter if you pay big money or small money, the difference is just that you will either lose lots of money or a little money, unless you get lucky and find some good workers, i am sure they do exist somewhere.

I even had some workers that were doing a pretty good job and then all of a sudden begun working so badly :blink: , builders using paper instead of cement, plumbers putting open water pipes inside a wall and buring them with cement, so, as soon as they turned on the water we had this fountain in the middle of a wall as for a magic trick of some kind, an escavator which supposed to dig something in the land, just doing up and down with the mechanical arm without taking out anything (he was paid by the hour), i could write a book about them but you got the idea and let me reiterate on something again, big company or single contractor, no difference apart from the amount of money wasted...

[

I dont know because no one will put up any names of companies they've used who turned out to be ok its always vague references.

Note to self dont waste your life decorating for 25+ years in the UK hiring other people to do what you can do yourself.

Edited by travelmann

I wont mention a guy who stayed in one of my condos who was an expert in water systems who relayed the tale of the great Thai welders who were good but kept welding on top of plastic pipes and repeatedly melting thru them...............he gave up after a 1 year contract and went back to Germany

Ok I got it.Thais are a superior race and farangs are <deleted>.

Are you Thai by any chance or is it only Thaier than Thais.

I'm not sure where you get this idea that I'm claiming Thais are superior and that Farangs are <deleted> - What I've said about Thai Tradesmen is re quoted below 'I've found the Thai Tradesmen that I've worked with are as good as their counterparts that I've worked with in the UK/EU.

So no claims of Farang Tradesmen being <deleted> (a predominance of guys with chips on their shoulder and/or Prima Donna's perhaps, but <deleted> no.

And no, I'm not Thai though curiously, there are many on this board who accuse me of being a 'Thai Basher'.

Speaking from experience of working with Thai trades people on large scale industrial projects (ie work controlled against international industrial standards).

Thai Electricians (Wiremen, Electrial Technicians, Electrical Engineers, Electrical Supervisors)

Working on High Voltage Substations: Utility and Essential Services Power Distribution; Fixed and temporary Generators (From Diesel Motors through GTG/Steam Turbine Driven Generators). Office power distribution, HVAC Systems (Industrial/Common Office Systems/Stand-alone)

My experience has been that Thai personnel performing these roles have performed consistently well (as good as their counterparts I've worked with in the UK/EU)

Thai Welders

Large Scale Industrial Projects I've worked on with Thai welders have achieved world class quality records (pass rates of inspected welds v weld requiring reworking).

Major international process industry corporations are sourcing high pressure vessels and modularized piping units out of Thailand - Seems they have faith in Thai welders.

Automotive (Mechanical)

The only automotive work I have anything to do with is getting our cars serviced at the main dealers - I'm more than happy with the service quality and price.

Thai mechanical fitters and technicians I've worked with on large mechanical installations (ie installing Steam generating plant and turbines) have been as good as any I've worked with in the UK or EU.

Fitting and Machining

Fitting and machining I've ordered in Thailand , including the manufacture/fabrication of special order components has always been of a high standard and at a very reasonable price.

I think this topic shows that there are real Thai tradesmen but they are usually out of reach for "simple" home construction projects. But for most of us on Thai visa we come in contact with the other kind and those are not professional at all. (with a few exceptions)

I've personally found both good and bad tradesman here in LOS, just like back in my home country. Whilst back in the home country you pay STACKSLOAD more money but don't always get a professional response to the money, theres some real dodgy tradesman back there, here's probably no different.

The majority of building workers that I have come accross here in the land of smiles have no formal training, however the backbone of Thailand has been built by these sort of people.

As I said, theres good and bad.

Ill just say its cheaper for me to buy my own tools and do it myself after a few jobs that left a bad taste in my mouth. They all seemed to start out well but in the end its crap work, how many tradesman here own a square or level ??? or any other tools that arent junk ??? Most, but not all Thais just dont have a sense of pride in their work. And Im sorry to burst your bubble but price doesnt have any effect on the quality of work here, once they smell falang money its def. all over for quality or a good job.

Ill just say its cheaper for me to buy my own tools and do it myself after a few jobs that left a bad taste in my mouth. They all seemed to start out well but in the end its crap work, how many tradesman here own a square or level ??? or any other tools that arent junk ??? Most, but not all Thais just dont have a sense of pride in their work. And Im sorry to burst your bubble but price doesnt have any effect on the quality of work here, once they smell falang money its def. all over for quality or a good job.

Bought my own tools too.. and do a lot of things myself now. But i am far from a tradesman (wish i paid more attention to my dad). But i often equal or better their work. Of course my work is shoddy at best with a few positive exceptions :D . But i just had problems finding the right people and then to get them to come back.. and make sure they don't break other things while doing their job.

My dad is great can fix anything he wants and everything looks great real quality and an eye for detail, my brother a great electrician (a bit less neat then my dad but good). So i might have been spoiled in the past quality wise. Many of my friends were tradesmen who helped me out at times.

Usually use people on recommendation..

The proper tradesmen are OK .

There are many who say they can do the job when they cannot.

You only get what you pay for.

Carpenters l have used just amaze me with there perfection in construction.

And plumbers come under Building & Construction.

One of the main reasons that the high end hotels and resorts are of a pretty good standard is usually the GM won't sign off on the rooms until they meet his expectations. Sometimes the faults in the rooms have to be redone 2 or more times.

One of the main reasons that the high end hotels and resorts are of a pretty good standard is usually the GM won't sign off on the rooms until they meet his expectations. Sometimes the faults in the rooms have to be redone 2 or more times.

Not according to GH :lol:

I've personally found both good and bad tradesman here in LOS, just like back in my home country. Whilst back in the home country you pay STACKSLOAD more money but don't always get a professional response to the money, theres some real dodgy tradesman back there, here's probably no different.

The majority of building workers that I have come accross here in the land of smiles have no formal training, however the backbone of Thailand has been built by these sort of people.

As I said, theres good and bad.

But have you taken a look at those Backbones lately.Most of them aren't as old as they look like.

Take a look at the buildings in this country's,and I'm not talking about the expensive condo's in Bangkok however some qualify,most of them have to get demolished before they're 20 years old or they collapse.

90 % bad trade people 10 % good.

the 90% never get back to give you a price or the price change doing the way. so never pay anything up front in the rich of loosinge it.

The 10 % give you a good deal.

A good way to do it is by playing them agenst eathother. like you get prices 5 places, to know the lever of the prices, after that you take 20 % the price and you go and speke to the the people you like must, you tell them you like them and want to do business with them, but then you also tell them that another trade company gave you a price 20 lower, if he please can do for you too. it works for me all the time