Is A Non Immigrant "O" Visa Valid If You Come Back To Your Country ?

I am married to a Thai National for the past 16 years and obtain a Non I migrant "O" Visa whenever I travel to Thailand with my wife and kids in case I decide to stay there for a longer period of time. A Non-Immigrant "O" enables me to get my Visa extended beyond the normal 90 days, but this is something which I have never had the need to do.

This time I want to go to Thailand with the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa. The clarification I want is :-

1. If I stay in Thailand and get a 1 yr Visa Extension and come back to my country after taking a re-entry permit from the Immigration Office.

2. I apply for 2 more yearly extensions over a period of 2 years from Thai Immigration by traveling yearly to Thailand.

Is it necessary for me to stay in Thailand after getting my yearly VISA extensions or can I come back to my country after taking a Re-entry permit ???

Clarifications are required please.....

Edited by ucomservices

You can use reentry permits (single or multiple) indefinitely on any current extensions, year after year, for life if you like (if the rules stay as they are). However, of course, you must return to Thailand before the expiry of any current extension to stay even with a reentry permit. In you didn't, you would of course have to start all over with new visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Three yearly extensions make a person eligible to apply for Thai Passport.

Is that correct????

I think not. Caveat, not my area of expertise so wait for someone who knows that subject. I am certain there are many more requirements than only having been here for three years on O visa!

Edited by Jingthing

Three yearly extensions make a person eligible to apply for Thai Passport.

Is that correct????

No you have to get residency first, that means 3 years of paying tax in Thailand, read the pinned topic about it.

After Permanent Residency comes Thai Citizenship, this then allows you to get a Passport