Can You Guess Where It Is?

Jack Jones

A friend of mine has sent me a picture and asked if I can read the word on the boat and guess where in Thailand the picture was taken. The font's a little difficult for me but it looks like Sairng or Lairng Dtuang. Can anybody shed any light

post-13364-1122540588_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine has sent me a picture and asked if I can read the word on the boat and guess where in Thailand the picture was taken. The font's a little difficult for me but it looks like Sairng or Lairng Dtuang. Can anybody shed any light

Sairng for sure.And it's dao not dtuang.

bannork

Edited by bannork

sairng daao - starlight.

Dunno where in the South it is taken, but it definitely looks more like somewhere on the Andaman side than in the Gulf.

I can´t tell you the script on the boat, but I am 99% positive it is a picture taken on Had Kae Bai, looking south towards the bluff that seperates that beach with Had Tha Nam (commonly known as Lonely Beach). I worked there years ago, and when scrolling through thousands of pics for a brochure, this is one that made the shortlist.

99% only becuase it was a long time ago.

Ciao,

Kayo.

edit: sorry forgot to mention where those beaches (Had´s) are: Koh Chang, Trat Province.

Edited by kayo

I don't think you'll find rock formations quite like that in the Gulf of Thailand, so doubt that it's Ko Chang. The point in the background looks typically Andaman. Rocky headlands on Ko Chang and most islands in the Gulf aren't as undercut as the one in this photo, typically.

I'd guess it's a view from Railay Beach looking towards Tham Phra Nang (Princess Cave), in Krabi province.

I can´t tell you the script on the boat, but I am 99% positive it is a picture taken on Had Kae Bai, looking south towards the bluff that seperates that beach with Had Tha Nam (commonly known as Lonely Beach). I worked there years ago, and when scrolling through thousands of pics for a brochure, this is one that made the shortlist.

99% only becuase it was a long time ago.

Ciao,

Kayo.

edit: sorry forgot to mention where those beaches (Had´s) are: Koh Chang, Trat Province.

You mean Had Kai Bae, right, Kayo?

I can't remember exactly what it looked like since it's been 6 years since I last set foot there, but I tend to agree with sabaijai about the undercuts. I never saw any on Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Koh Phangan or any of the smaller islands surrounding Koh Chang.

All wrong I'm afaird chaps. It was Laoliang island on the Andaman side. I kind of knew this already as my Thai friend keeps telling me about the island, so I should have figured this. Apparently, it's relatively untouched as it hasn't been open to tourists that long.

Edited by Jack Jones