Elections All Bars To Close

jdee

Well it's official. all beer bars have to close from 6pm today till Sunday 12pm got a letter from the tesaban on Wednesday evening.

Next weekend is the same. Don't know how the bar owners can make a living having to close for almost a week of the month and

farang can't even vote. good for tourism not.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry jdee, but surely you knew this when you bought the business?

It has always been the case in both Thai culture and Thai law that all drinking holes close on election weekends. The law is not there to stop you or to help you. It is there to try and stop nefarious politicians from bribing voters with alcohol.

Their election, their rules...nobody actually "needs" alcohol!!! :whistling:

There are some people who do work Mon to Fri hard as it may be to believe......and want to have a few beers Fri night or Sat.

Anyway there are always a few beach bars open........

Anyway there are always a few beach bars open........

all the main estblishments are open ( just not clubs ), as with beach bars.... also all mom and pop stores sell beer

What about workers that have to vote? They might have to travel.

its a local election, 99 % of bar workers are not from Samui .....

Amazing post from the OP. Poor farang bar owner can't make money. It's their country , their rules. It's not all about farangs & drinking. What about workers that have to vote? They might have to travel.

Not at all really Jeanelle. Life is a two way street. The facts of the matter are that foreign investment in the south of the country is enormously contributing towards employments for Thai workers. It directly helps the government. Foreigners are not allowed to vote, be they residents or not. Why should they be "needlessly" penalised? Just ban Thais from alcohol for this period.

BTW, the "their country, their rules" line has been dished out ad nauseum, and is an out dated line normally churned out by newbies to the country, having no real grasp and understanding of the situation. Fact is, tourism here is largely unimportant to the GDP but hugely important to Thai employment and if they continue to deprieve business days from tourist businesses it will only be to the financial detriment of foreigners and Thais alike.

Amazing post from the OP. Poor farang bar owner can't make money. It's their country , their rules. It's not all about farangs & drinking. What about workers that have to vote? They might have to travel.

Not at all really Jeanelle. Life is a two way street. The facts of the matter are that foreign investment in the south of the country is enormously contributing towards employments for Thai workers. It directly helps the government. Foreigners are not allowed to vote, be they residents or not. Why should they be "needlessly" penalised? Just ban Thais from alcohol for this period.

BTW, the "their country, their rules" line has been dished out ad nauseum, and is an out dated line normally churned out by newbies to the country, having no real grasp and understanding of the situation. Fact is, tourism here is largely unimportant to the GDP but hugely important to Thai employment and if they continue to deprieve business days from tourist businesses it will only be to the financial detriment of foreigners and Thais alike.

Thank You Carmine

THANK YOU CARMINE

Thank You Carmine

Ad nauseam is it ?No grasp of situation or understanding of situation? Well forgive me for thinking, that we are not Thais, the rules of the country are very clear.So you propose basically to bypass such directive, because the underlying fact is not detrimental to Thai employees but to farang business owners.Well then what is your argument with Buddha Days? Doesn't affect you, don't care not a Buddhist, just a pain in the A..... to my business. Love to see you having that attitude in your home country re rules & regulations

.No matter where you live in the world, you have to respect their rules.If it doesn't suit you or you are running a business hanging there by the skin of your teeth, your problem. I don't see you being a farang here, gives us any privileges or exemptions.

Maybe it gets boring hearing this line every election time or Buddha day, mostly from new bar owners.

because the underlying fact is not detrimental to Thai employees but to farang business owners.

i think you will find its not only farang bar owners that affect , but thais as well, only maybe 30 % or less establishments are run by Farangs.....

think of the income produced in one night in Soi Green Mango ? Solo ? Sweet Soul ECT, all own by Thais

It also has a negaitive impact or Tourism, as many Tourist are not informed. If i came for a weeks holiday here, and couldnt go out for 2 nights, i would be pretty pissed off, and most probably go to another island or Phuket on hearing of it, so in return hotels lose out, restaurants ect ect ..... the ban infact has a huge domino's effect on all related buinesses on Samui.

There is no real logic behind the ban at all , as if these people who vote want to drink, they can buy the day before or from a mom and pops store.... infact when this bans are on, i see a rise in thais having parties at there houses surronded by Booze as they dont have to work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad nauseam is it ?No grasp of situation or understanding of situation? Well forgive me for thinking, that we are not Thais, the rules of the country are very clear.So you propose basically to bypass such directive, because the underlying fact is not detrimental to Thai employees but to farang business owners.Well then what is your argument with Buddha Days? Doesn't affect you, don't care not a Buddhist, just a pain in the A..... to my business. Love to see you having that attitude in your home country re rules & regulations

.No matter where you live in the world, you have to respect their rules.If it doesn't suit you or you are running a business hanging there by the skin of your teeth, your problem. I don't see you being a farang here, gives us any privileges or exemptions.

Maybe it gets boring hearing this line every election time or Buddha day, mostly from new bar owners.

Anyone for a nice pot of tea? :ph34r::coffee1:

Oh dear.

I can forgive you any amount of stupidity, but atleast do me the courtesy of reading my post before answering back with the same banal cliches. ;)

IF you read my post you will see i have not said bypass the rules. I have inferres that it would help Foreigners and Thais alike during these exceptionally tough economic times to rethink and relax the rules.

Why do you people have to start bleeting on about foreigners direspecting their laws, religion etc. There is no intent there at all.

So, are you enjoying your holiday here here?

Oh and just one more thing. How can you come on a public forum in this country and come out with such rubbish saying this is not detrimental to Thai employees? Have you any idea how many are employed by foreign business here. No, ofcourse you dont because you have'nt done your homework have you. If a foreign business goes down the tube the Thai employees don't have a job do they.

Always good to read the post first and do some homework before spouting out the holier than thou much scripted blah blah blah we are just guests etc etc blah blah ad nauseum.

Edited by carmine

Anyone for a nice pot of tea? :ph34r::coffee1:

I was'nt aware you drank anything other than beer and large Jacks! :D

Oh dear.

I can forgive you any amount of stupidity, but atleast do me the courtesy of reading my post before answering back with the same banal cliches. ;)

IF you read my post you will see i have not said bypass the rules. I have inferres that it would help Foreigners and Thais alike during these exceptionally tough economic times to rethink and relax the rules.

Why do you people have to start bleeting on about foreigners direspecting their laws, religion etc. There is no intent there at all.

So, are you enjoying your holiday here here?

Oh and just one more thing. How can you come on a public forum in this country and come out with such rubbish saying this is not detrimental to Thai employees? Have you any idea how many are employed by foreign business here. No, ofcourse you dont because you have'nt done your homework have you. If a foreign business goes down the tube the Thai employees don't have a job do they.

Always good to read the post first and do some homework before spouting out the holier than thou much scripted blah blah blah we are just guests etc etc blah blah ad nauseum.

Thank you for your informative reply,As you mentioned before, but you have since re edited your quote, yes I am enjoying my permanent holidays here for the last 25 odd years of my life.You are also correct in saying I haven't done my homework, how dare I oppose your simplistic views.

My heart bleeds for all the lost revenue. By the way you never mentioned religious days. I can see you are an expert, maybe you can enlighten us uneducated hollier then thou people on your position on that subject, as it very clearly goes hand in hand with this topic.

Enough said I think.Have a nice day & enjoy your drink.

Some people are so self absorbed and sanctimonious they will never get a grip of anything no matter how long they live somewhere.

Anyway, i am not one to get involved in a mud slinging contest and you are welcome to your opinions no matter how narrow minded they might be.

Have a nice day.

It has to be one of the most insulting laws, are the powers that be saying that Thai's are not responsible enough to conduct themselves in an appropiate manner for an election should they decide to participate.

Forget about Bar owners and think of the most important thing the tourist who has been looking forward to a well earned weekend away letting thier hair down and relaxing on this beautiful island.

Surely if they wish to impose some draconian law they could simply say to the catering establishments, do not serve Thai nationals during this period.

I have the official announcement in front of me as I type.

Bars closed 18.00 AM 15th Oct to 24 AM 17th Oct.

And

Bars closed 18.00AM 29th Oct to 24.00 AM 30th Oct.

Whatever your feelings about the ban, it's here. I for one think it is daft. You can always get a drink somewhere and all tourist bars have very few Thai customers. It's a drag for a tourist visitor to Samui for the weekend to find all bars closed. Does great harm to the tourist industry.

So I can't sell booze. No lights or music but my ladies are still working. So income is only slightly reduced!!!!!!

Edited by screamingeagle

We will see what the thai,s do tonight in walking street, i will let you know if they are selling alcohol from there ice boxes outside peoples bars,

I have lived in thailand a long time now, and i bet anyone for sure they will be selling alcohol.

We will see what the thai,s do tonight in walking street, i will let you know if they are selling alcohol from there ice boxes outside peoples bars,

I have lived in thailand a long time now, and i bet anyone for sure they will be selling alcohol.

Shock....horror...:o What, a rule for one and a rule for others.

I for one would'nt be taking you up on that bet.

It truly is a dumb law,its not compulsory to vote so i guess they have to be bribed to go on the boat to the mainland to vote.It just goes to show that TAT has no leaverage when it comes to protect ing tourism here.The truth is Thai authorities just dont care.

As a tourist arriving on Samui,you arrive,the weather is crap and the bars are closed for 3 days on consecutive weekends,hardly a good rap for LOS.The tourist centres are empty why make it worse by this discouragement.Cambodia,Laos,vietnam,malaysia will all benefit.In the meantime farang and thai bar owners who contribute to the economy via taxes and employing locals suffer,and its way out of proportion.

The argument has nothing to do with "not being able to have a drink"its about the tourist venues being able to flourish unhindered.

Shock....horror...:o What, a rule for one and a rule for others.

I for one would'nt be taking you up on that bet.

I'll take the bet. Oooooooooooooooooops what am I saying, I guarantee you can buy a drink in lots of places.Out of sight out of mind.

A very narrow view jeanelle.Think of the bigger picture.If thailand wants to be taken seriously as a tourist destination it has to cut some slack to the industry that employs thousands of thais,bolsters foreign currency reserves,and gives face to thailand being a tourist friendly destination.