Elections All Bars To Close

jdee

same same old"bars closed/election being held.annoying for tourists and travellers...............oh well there's alternative countries to go to,like,laos,cambodia,vietnam,indonesia,all much more popular than thailand these days

anoying thing is many little Thai bars will be open and serving beer, example if you come out your drive and turn left you will get a beer in 5 mins. they will however be patrolling up and down chaweng road to make shore farnags dont drink. makes the country look complete idiots where the people cannot be trusted to stay sober to cast there votes. suprised your still there having seen the options. not are they more popular and more advanced having over taken Thailand.

"..... (speaking in posh Thai voice) Oh gosh, Sombat, due to our antique feudal system which assumes that all the serfs never leave their villages, we have to get the irritating bloody peasants back to their huts so they can vote for us."

"Indeed Suchart, I suppose we have no choice but to give the annoying blighters time off work so they can travel home."

"Heavens no, Sombat, the dull-witted fools will only get drunk if we give them holidays - you know this - that's why we got rid of 'week-ends' and banished holidays. Give them an hour with no work to do and they immediately render themselves catatonic with alcohol."

"True ... true. So then we must ban alcohol then they are not tempted to intoxicate themselves - you know that these child-like people possess no self-restraint."

"Heavens above Suchart, our stalwart Boys in Skin Tight Brown would have a jolly-old dickey fit! No alcohol indeed! It's preposterous."

"Umm . . . then perchance we might close all the taverns of ill-repute, sing-a-songs and 7-11s - but ensure that the Mom n Pop supermarkets near the police stations remain unhindered?"

"Splendid ruse, old boy!"

"But what about all the farang?"

" . . . what is 'farang'?"

Edited by robsamui

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same same old"bars closed/election being held.annoying for tourists and travellers...............oh well there's alternative countries to go to,like,laos,cambodia,vietnam,indonesia,all much more popular than thailand these days

Does anyone know if the bars are closed or just alchole restrictions.

As for people that have already booked their tickets. Please don't tell me they come all the way out here just to drink for 5 days non stop.

Anyway at least they are having the elections in the low season. they have to be done. The problem is i hope that the people who lose the election can bit their lips and carry on business as usual> i hope this old polictical conflict does not spirial again after.

if u r about to book a ticket u r better off being here now rarther than after. Assuming that that is a possible outcome.

If u need something to do while the bars are shut. try a massage or going down the beach or find something to do. u might find u new self in u that does not need drink.

join a gym put some year back in you.

for example when i gave up drink i started fighting.

best move i ever made .)

Bless your little socks!

:cheesy:

There are more than 40.000 registrated voters on this island and maybe 7000-10.00 farang tourists. If you people dont like the rules and laws in Thailand, why dont you return home and enjoy your freedom there??

You're way out on the numbers!

Firstly, out of those 40,000 registered voters, the vast majority won't even be here on Samui - they'll be going back to the mainland to their home towns to vote.

Also - there are several thousand farang residents and one million tourists a year. Most of those are here in high season around Xmas - but call it half-a-mil and divide the remainder into the rest of the months and you'll probably have 15,000 to 25,000 tourists here at any given period - except in November, maybe. Don't forget that Samui now has almost 20,000 registered 3, 4,and 5-star hotel rooms and you can more than double that if you add all the bungalow resorts and guest houses.

But I agree with your point - Thai rules and laws. Either accept them or shut up and find a way round them!

R

Edited by robsamui

anoying thing is many little Thai bars will be open and serving beer, example if you come out your drive and turn left you will get a beer in 5 mins. they will however be patrolling up and down chaweng road to make shore farnags dont drink. makes the country look complete idiots where the people cannot be trusted to stay sober to cast there votes. suprised your still there having seen the options. not are they more popular and more advanced having over taken Thailand.

"..... (speaking in posh Thai voice) Oh gosh, Sombat, due to our antique feudal system which assumes that all the serfs never leave their villages, we have to get the irritating bloody peasants back to their huts so they can vote for us."

"Indeed Suchart, I suppose we have no choice but to give the annoying blighters time off work so they can travel home."

"Heavens no, Sombat, the dull-witted fools will only get drunk if we give them holidays - you know this - that's why we got rid of 'week-ends' and banished holidays. Give them an hour with no work to do and they immediately render themselves catatonic with alcohol."

"True ... true. So then we must ban alcohol then they are not tempted to intoxicate themselves - you know that these child-like people possess no self-restraint."

"Heavens above Suchart, our stalwart Boys in Skin Tight Brown would have a jolly-old dickey fit! No alcohol indeed! It's preposterous."

"Umm . . . then perchance we might close all the taverns of ill-repute, sing-a-songs and 7-11s - but ensure that the Mom n Pop supermarkets near the police stations remain unhindered?"

"Splendid ruse, old boy!"

"But what about all the farang?"

" . . . what is 'farang'?"

excellent rob

post-4641-1209004625.jpg

Just what I was thinking - time to go exploring. Much better/cheaper beer as well in Camby and Laos. Take a friend with you if you're worried about the supply of that other essential commodity :rolleyes:. [she'll even be able to translate for you in Laos if she's from the best part of Thailand]

You are an idiot. I just spent a year preparing my vacation, and now it's f***ed.

Firstly DO NOT call any other member an idiot. The only reason that post is still here is because it carried on too far.

Perhaps if you keep abreast with general travel warnings & a country's situation in general, you might have picked up that an Election is in the pipeline.

Most hotels, still serve, if not having a beer is the end of the world, well what can I say.

Roo i would imagine most people had holidays booked before election was announced, so it is a blow and most would probably have chosen to go eleswhere.

This same discussion occurs regularly and again I'll state my point "so what". Get yourself one of those styrofoam coolers and two days worth of the drinks you like.

Instead of being in some lame bar, get some people together, build a fire on the beach and break out the guitars. More people will join as they see it, lo and behold it may end up being the best dang party of your whole vacation !

Your beer is half full everybody, not half empty. Enjoy, GOM

There are more than 40.000 registrated voters on this island and maybe 7000-10.00 farang tourists. If you people dont like the rules and laws in Thailand, why dont you return home and enjoy your freedom there??

Firstly, out of those 40,000 registered voters, the vast majority won't even be here on Samui - they'll be going back to the mainland to their home towns to vote.

Also - there are several thousand farang residents and one million tourists a year. Most of those are here in high season around Xmas - but call it half-a-mil and divide the remainder into the rest of the months and you'll probably have 15,000 to 25,000 tourists here at any given period - except in November, maybe. Don't forget that Samui now has almost 20,000 registered 3, 4,and 5-star hotel rooms and you can more than double that if you add all the bungalow resorts and guest houses.

But I agree with your point - Thai rules and laws. Either accept them or shut up and find a way round them!

R

Let us be correct in the number ot Thai people who are registreted as resident on Samui. 2 years ago Samui became a city becauce 50.000 Thais were Samui citysens. They have a truely resident and adress in Samui and dont have to go anywhere else to vote. They also stay with the 30 bath health-care scheem in Samui Maybe 20.00 its. a correct number of hotels bed in Samui now. But at the election time are at a low season time here .Actually there cannot be more than 10.000 farang tourist at the elction time. So once again my opinion is, stop complaining about Thai rules and law, If you are not happy here go elsewhere and stay happy there.

R

Let us be correct in the number ot Thai people who are registreted as resident on Samui. 2 years ago Samui became a city becauce 50.000 Thais were Samui citysens. They have a truely resident and adress in Samui and dont have to go anywhere else to vote. They also stay with the 30 bath health-care scheem in Samui Maybe 20.00 its. a correct number of hotels bed in Samui now. But at the election time are at a low season time here .Actually there cannot be more than 10.000 farang tourist at the elction time. So once again my opinion is, stop complaining about Thai rules and law, If you are not happy here go elsewhere and stay happy there.

READ my reply!

Edited by robsamui

R

Can everyone including the Thai authorities quote you on this? You seem to be the expert . . . we need someone like you ... really pleased to find some definitive statistics at long last.

:whistling:

R

Edited by robsamui

R

Can everyone including the Thai authorities quote you on this? You seem to be the expert . . . we need someone like you ... really pleased to find some definitive statistics at long last.

:whistling:

R

According to TAT, the figures for visitors to Samui has been about 1 million (including Thai people) the last years. And an average stay is 4 days:

1.000.000:365 daysx4= 10.900. Last year according to Samui Express the figure of hotels bed were 17.500. June/July is a low season. A accopy rent should be about 60%. = 10.500 So I dont have to be an expert, I just use my commen cense to justify my figurs.

For me, this is an end of discussionsmile.gif

doesn't bother me in the slightest. i don't own a bar and i don't drink. which is nice because the women are still out in volumes and i do not have to hang around bars. not that i would do that anyway, just like to watch. cough coough arrrhhh whats the weather like ????? look over there.

woosh i am gone ......................

I'm sure there will be a couple of Bars open in Bangrak, and Fishermans village NEVER closes for elections.

What about the 2 day closure for Buddhist Lent on July 15th and 16th - we OK for a beer in FV / Bangrak then as well ?

Hope there aren't any working ex-pats whose one remaining pleasure in life is a Saturday night out on the razz and a lie-in on Sunday nursing the hangover from hell.

3 out 4 Saturdays on the spin with the bars closed , bring on the Lao-Khao !

R

According to TAT, the figures for visitors to Samui has been about 1 million (including Thai people) the last years. And an average stay is 4 days:

1.000.000:365 daysx4= 10.900. Last year according to Samui Express the figure of hotels bed were 17.500. June/July is a low season. A accopy rent should be about 60%. = 10.500 So I dont have to be an expert, I just use my commen cense to justify my figurs.

For me, this is an end of discussionsmile.gif

er think there is a major flaw here, you are assuming those 1 million visitors are single travellers each wanting a room which is clearly not the case :rolleyes:

I have been told the Bars are closing from 6pm this Friday 24th June for 3 nights the next weekend at 6pm on Saturday 2nd July for 2 nights and finally all day on the 14th and 15th of July for a Budha holiday. Is Samui/Thailand no longer interested in the tourist dollar?

I actually think Samui gets more leeway than other places when it comes to the closures.

Yes, its totally counter productive to the islands economy but i really can't understand the moaning from a purely resident drinkers perspective because they can always find places here open to serve them.

Just what I was thinking - time to go exploring. Much better/cheaper beer as well in Camby and Laos. Take a friend with you if you're worried about the supply of that other essential commodity :rolleyes:. [she'll even be able to translate for you in Laos if she's from the best part of Thailand]

yes,agree,i did just that in Laos,had a great time.although i still reserve trips to cambodia going solo,my g/f just does n't understand why/

I actually think Samui gets more leeway than other places when it comes to the closures.

Yes, its totally counter productive to the islands economy but i really can't understand the moaning from a purely resident drinkers perspective because they can always find places here open to serve them.

yes you are right re us locals,but i do feel sorry for tourists and travellers,its so counter productive to welcoming tourists.but then again so is the 15 day visa for border crossers.

I have been told the Bars are closing from 6pm this Friday 24th June for 3 nights the next weekend at 6pm on Saturday 2nd July for 2 nights and finally all day on the 14th and 15th of July for a Budha holiday. Is Samui/Thailand no longer interested in the tourist dollar?

as been's said before the thai authorities just dont give a "rats arse" about tourists,one reason numbers visiting here are going down(regardless of TATS figures etched out of a phantom sky)

yes you are right re us locals,but i do feel sorry for tourists and travellers,its so counter productive to welcoming tourists.but then again so is the 15 day visa for border crossers.

I've always found this a tad confusing. It surely only applies to groups of youngsters on the piss every evening. I wonder what proportion of tourists this now represents?

A lot less than five years ago I'd wager.

I've always found this a tad confusing. It surely only applies to groups of youngsters on the piss every evening. I wonder what proportion of tourists this now represents?

For sure a lot less than 5 years ago for sure, the tourist numbers are a lot less than 5 years ago, but it affects anyone that has paid good money for a holiday and wishes to chill out on an evening with a cold beer. Additionally there are a lot of weekend travel groups that visit Samui now, and what about the Bar owners and staff times are surely hard enough.

Edited by hellokitty2010

For sure a lot less than 5 years ago for sure, the tourist numbers are a lot less than 5 years ago, but it affects anyone that has paid good money for a holiday and wishes to chill out on an evening with a cold beer. Additionally there are a lot of weekend travel groups that visit Samui now, and what about the Bar owners and staff times are surely hard enough.

Nah my sympathy evaporated already.