Uk To Bkk Via Helsinki

BruceBanner

Hello Everyone

I'm flying to Bangkok in a few weeks.

After booking my flights with Finn Air, i've just noticed what short time there is between connecting flights. I fly from Manchester, England to Helsinki, where i have a 1 hour 25 minute wait before the flight to Bangkok. I'm slightly worried that if the flight from Manchester is delayed or late into Helsinki, then i may miss the onward flight to Bangkok.

Also, when i return to England in a couple of months time, there is only 45 minutes between connecting flights. I imagine i'll miss the flight from Helsinki back to Manchester, and have to wait for another flight. Has anyone had any experiences of missing connecting flights ? Or travelled with not much time between flights. I'm thinking perhaps i should have gone via the middle east where the time between flights is longer. Thanks for any comments :)

I have travelled both to and from the Uk via the middle east and other airports and sometimes as little as 40 minutes between flights. You are worrying unnecessarily, they always organise themselves for your luggage transfer etc and if the plane is late arriving they are fully aware of passengers who are connecting to flights and will often hold the plane if necessary. I went through Schipol airport one time and the plane was 30 minutes late arriving and they held the BKK flight and ushered everyone straight to the waiting flight on those electric carts.Travelling with Qatar, they usually have around 40 minutes between flights and it has never been a problem, enough time for a quick P and off you go again. I wouldn worry yourself too much the airlines usually have it covered. If the plane is running to schedule dont go wandering off into a bar or shopping, get to the next gate in reasonable time for travelling on because under those circumstances they wont wait. If the plane is running late for connection they'll sort it out.......dont worry.

Happy safe travelling.

Edited by CharlieH

Yes charlieH is right, there is no way that you will miss your connecting flight, many times i have travelled flights have ben delayed due to waiting for connecting passengers

Just to confirm the above, I flew on a delayed flight from LHR a couple of months ago and Finnair held the BKK flight for us. Also there wasn't far to walk to make the transfer.

As long as your flight to BKK via Helsinki is with Finnair and possibly a codeshare with another airline, you've nothing to worry about. Your luggage will be offloaded in Helsinki and then loaded onto the flight to BKK by the airline. You won't have access to it during that process. All you have to do is to walk from one gate to another.

Problems only arise when a passenger books a low cost airline to a given destination and then doesn't leave enough time to check-in again to the onward flight with a different carrier.

You are flying to/from a European Union country so your flights are covered by EU 261 rules, which set out a range of responsibilities for the airline if things go wrong. It's worth familiarising yourself with these - they are strict legally-enforceable rights, but airline staff sometimes don't know/don't want to know what they have to provide:

EU 261

last time I flew to thailand with finnair from helsinki they delayed the flight because they were waiting for couple of passengers wanting to connect with that flight

so i can confirm with others that you wont have any problems making your flight