Uk Pension - I Am British, Give Me Some Money?

In order to qualify for a pension in the UK, do you have to do anything other than be a British citizen? Can you simply say to the government, I am so many years old and have a british passport, so please start giving me regular payments?

I understand that to get a good pension you have to have paid contributions for so many years. But I wonder if there is anything available if you haven't made any contributions.

Let me get this straight, you want something from a system that you have NEVER paid anything into just because you have a British passport? <deleted>!My parents get basically nothing from a system that they have paid into all there working life, so why the hel_l should you get anything at all.

I really do hope you dont get a penny, there are to many in the uk that are sponging from an already over crowded benefits and social system with out the likes of you adding to it. Where are you from and why are you not getting anything from your own government??? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGG :annoyed::annoyed:

No reason to beat up the OP, if you can claim, and the system pays, that is quite simply the way the system operates, not a design implemented by the claimant.

False claims by providing incorrect information are of course a different matter.

Let me get this straight, you want something from a system that you have NEVER paid anything into just because you have a British passport? <deleted>!My parents get basically nothing from a system that they have paid into all there working life, so why the hel_l should you get anything at all.

I really do hope you dont get a penny, there are to many in the uk that are sponging from an already over crowded benefits and social system with out the likes of you adding to it. Where are you from and why are you not getting anything from your own government??? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGG :annoyed::annoyed:

Actually, this is the system in the Netherlands. Provided you're registered with the the local council and have a tax registration number, you don't have to have paid a single cent in contributions in order to qualify for a pension. If you arrive in the country later in life, you can buy the preceding years for a certain sum too so that ultimately, you'll qualify for a full Dutch pension which is currently 1,038 Euros for a single person tax free when you retire.

To the OP- unfortunately you only get a state /govt pension IF you have paid national security every month (for about 30 years i think it is). I left UK 15 years ago and looked into this question my self, neither of us basically will get any pension which is fair enough as i have never paid tax back in the UK since i never have had a job there.

To the OP- unfortunately you only get a state /govt pension IF you have paid national security every month (for about 30 years i think it is). I left UK 15 years ago and looked into this question my self, neither of us basically will get any pension which is fair enough as i have never paid tax back in the UK since i never have had a job there.

Could you not pay voluntary contributions or self employed 'stamps' see here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm

To the OP- unfortunately you only get a state /govt pension IF you have paid national security every month (for about 30 years i think it is).

30 years is for a full pension. You have to have a minimum of 10 years' contributions to qualify for a reduced pension.

If you do not live in the UK and have paid nothing in ,you get nothing ,nada ,zilch,and why should you?

That is correct, in the UK he gets all the benefits from the British welfare system, even though he did not contribute a penny toward the state, and his standard of living (income wise) would be a lot better than any Brit living in Thailand who contributed all his working life toward the British National Pension Pot.

Expat Brits pensions are of course based on their contribution, unfortunately however for expats living in certain countries (Thailand included) the pension is not indexed and will stay frozen until the end. (unless MP's take action in the House)

A recent research in the UK has indicated that Britain now has a third generation of people (grand parents, parents, and adult children) that never have had a job in their life, and thus depend totally on the welfare state, and they regard it as a normal way of life.

It has been suggested that retired Brits in Thailand" should learn to play the Guitar so that they can walk the pavements in the cities singing songs of "Tom Jones & Engelbert Humperdinck" in order to improve their income.

To the OP- unfortunately you only get a state /govt pension IF you have paid national security every month (for about 30 years i think it is).

30 years is for a full pension. You have to have a minimum of 10 years' contributions to qualify for a reduced pension.

That's interesting... - I did pay NI for 13 years, so when I reach retirement age, I might get a pension of some description back. (Admittedly, I've always assumed that the UK government would have run out of money paying pensions to the baby boomers by the time I retire, so that I have to look after myself).

I know it would be frozen as it's not index-linked in Thailand. However, would it be frozen at the rate when I start getting it, or the rate in 2000 (when I emigrated), or 2001 (when I actually stopped paying NI contributions).

bkk_mike

You will be entitled to a pension of 13/30 of a full pension, which at the moment is about £100.00 per week. you may be able to buy back some years to increase this amount. At one time if you were living abroad you had to buy voluntary 'stamps', but the rules were changed so you could buy self employed 'stamps', which are cheaper.

I am not sure of your age, but as well as maybe buying back some years, you may be able to start paying N.I 'stamps' now up until your retiring age. there is a pension age calculator here - http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/state-pension-age-calculator

Any pension you get will be frozen, at the rate applicable to the day you start to collect.

prior to April this year 44 years of contributions were required, but this is now 30 years.

Actually, this is the system in the Netherlands. Provided you're registered with the the local council and have a tax registration number, you don't have to have paid a single cent in contributions in order to qualify for a pension. If you arrive in the country later in life, you can buy the preceding years for a certain sum too so that ultimately, you'll qualify for a full Dutch pension which is currently 1,038 Euros for a single person tax free when you retire.

Hup Holland hup,here we come

Edited by basjke

1,038 Euro's, a day,week,month or year is that figure.

I suspect it's a month right.

Think the UK pension with full contributions is £92 per week i think.

Edited by neil324

Not sustainable in its current form. Look at the Netherlands deficit and it becomes obvious something has to give in a major way. Maybe not soon but mathematically impossible to continue down their welfare road. Makes the USA look like extreme savers in relative terms.

Here's the thing I do not get. People get angry because he asked about getting a pension without paying anything in. Start moaning about leaches and all that. But if the gov't was giving out money free, I think he would be a fool not to avail himself of it. So what's the harm in asking. It is up to the gov't to make sure it is only paying out to those who paid in and and provide welfare to those who deserve it. If it is not doing its job in that respect you must blame the gov't not the people taking advantage of it.

Anyway, I will know get on the calculator to determine how much I need to pay to bring myself up to date. Only about 28 years or so. :lol:

If he moves back to the UK Im pretty sure they will pay him something = to the pension amount,dont know what they call it these days but they have so many schemes, income support, disability allowance ( he only needs a bad back) top ups etc etc.

If he moves back to the UK Im pretty sure they will pay him something = to the pension amount,dont know what they call it these days but they have so many schemes, income support, disability allowance ( he only needs a bad back) top ups etc etc.

Those things were true but I suspect that after 6pm today UK time they will no longer be so.

I'm a "victim" of this change, will have to wait another year to get my state pension, missed out by 4 months :ermm:

But they do say that pensions are likely to rise so it might not really be bad news. :)

On the other hand I could be dead by then. :lol:

Disapointed I will have to wait another year for my bus pass :D

But as an ex-pat I may not be entitled to one :(

Oh well, life goes on, I just hope my sacrifice of arounf 5k helps get the country back on its feet