Centipede Invasion

sua yai

Over the past two days, we've been getting a few unwelcome visitors in our bathroom, namely small centipedes. They're only about an inch long, if that.

We've poured all kinds of nasty stuff down the drain and it seems that the little critters are thinking twice about coming back. So far we've had about a dozen of them.

Now, I was bitten by a much larger one years ago and can still remember the pain. I'm now totally freaked out when I see one. One had the gall to pass within a foot of where I'm sitting at the computer only 15 mins ago.

Can anyone confirm whether a bite from one so small is painful. My wife tells me not to woory. But I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Can anyone confirm whether a bite from one so small is painful. My wife tells me not to woory. But I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Centipede (Takab,ตะขาบ) has a couple of poisonous claw at the head ,and has poision gland at the 1st section of body

for me, Small or Big , it is the same pain , especially idf somebody has a sign of allergy

Bambi

Over the past two days, we've been getting a few unwelcome visitors in our bathroom, namely small centipedes. They're only about an inch long, if that.

We've poured all kinds of nasty stuff down the drain and it seems that the little critters are thinking twice about coming back. So far we've had about a dozen of them.

Now, I was bitten by a much larger one years ago and can still remember the pain. I'm now totally freaked out when I see one. One had the gall to pass within a foot of where I'm sitting at the computer only 15 mins ago.

Thanks.

You probably mean the little millipedes that I sometimes get in my bathroom. Apparently most millipedes can give off some chemical spray, but at this size only effects spiders, ants, etc. Bigger ones can really hurt but not very dangerous. Apparently they don't like living in drains, but like little cracks in walls, under toilet, etc. Spray all gaps in bathroom with normal deet cockroach, ant killer.

Thanks for the replies.

These are definitely centipedes - ie one pair of legs per section as opposed to two sets which a millipede has. I thought the millipedes were harmless. Touch them and they roll into a ball. Could well be wrong though.

And, Bambi, you've got me racing to put my Doc Martins on!! Yes, they're takabs. Wife dosn't seem overly worried though and I think we're through the worst of it. Until it rains again.

Dragonman, I'm going out to buy another aerosol can.

Thanks for the replies.

These are definitely centipedes - ie one pair of legs per section as opposed to two sets which a millipede has. I thought the millipedes were harmless. Touch them and they roll into a ball. Could well be wrong though.

And, Bambi, you've got me racing to put my Doc Martins on!! Yes, they're takabs. Wife dosn't seem overly worried though and I think we're through the worst of it. Until it rains again.

Dragonman, I'm going out to buy another aerosol can.

Don't get them centipedes coming into my house, but lots in old pots in the garden. I only wear gloves when pottering. My wife's mate nearly conned me on them bigger millipedes when I was up in Isaan. After going frog hunting, she was wearing gloves and said catch this. My wife said don't. I didn't. Apparently after checking, they are on a list of insects only to be bought in foreign countries by experienced keepers as they can be quite nasty :o

Dragonman,

I won't trust an internet search again. That's where I got the info on millipedes. Another critter to watch out for over here.

Reckon the best bet is to fumigate the house with a case of Baygon and retire gracefully to a local hostelry for a few hours.

Any old excuse on a Friday.