Help. My Laptop Sound Died.

tjansen

This one is very strange. I have an Acer 4730 with Windows XP SP 3. I have been using Audacity and my external mic to record speech. I have been working with it for a while figuring out how to use Audacity, listening ttest recordings, which I have been exporting as WAV and then playing back on Winamp as well as Windows Media Player. Suddenly the sound on my computer quit working. I was using the built-in speakers. I also tried the headphones. I rebooted my computer, checked the mute check box, etc. When I rebooted, I did not get the sound of the computer booting, so something has happened to the sound.

By the way, the sound bars for recording and for playback are acting normal, so the sound is getting in there but now coming out of the speakers or of the headset.

Can anyone help with this? It is fairly urgent.

Thanks,

Tom

go to System tools and do a restore. restore it to a time when the speakers were working. it will take 10 minutes most.

I have tried three different restore points, and they all gave me a message that they cannot restore to that point. That also has never happened before. I have done a few system restores in the past, and they went ok.

Any suggestions for that one?????

To EasyJim, it is all sound, and as i stated in my original post, I checked the volume and the Mute, but I did double check it. Volume setting is normal and Mute is not checked.

And how do I move this post?

Thanks.

SORRY, EasyJim

I went back and double checked, and that was it. The main volume was not muted, but one called WAV was muted. I unmuted, and that fixed it. Thanks a lot. I am really glad I didn't get too sarcastic in mentioning my original post. I would have really had to have a helping of humble pie.

By the way, I had to go to the "Advanced" section to find the box that was muted. It did not show up on the first panel that I opened.

Thanks to everyone once again.

Tom

Edited by tjansen